segmentation faults and "Remote host is offline"

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

segmentation faults and "Remote host is offline"

wempwer
Hi guys,

I am a first time Ekiga user. I got interested in Ekiga because I am
looking a for a free FLOSS solution to stay in touch with my family
during a long business trip to a distant country. I set up an account
at https://www.ekiga.net/ and got a confirmation e-mail. When I start
Ekiga it says I am registered. I am using Ekiga 4.0.1. Everything is
fine up to this point.

However, there are 2 situations when Ekiga gives me a segmentation fault
- sometimes when it starts and always at a callback test. Here are the
log: startup http://pastebin.com/L1rCbUAy, callback test:
http://pastebin.com/yjr5rA8c.

Also, sometimes callback test fails to connect and it says "Remote host
is offline". However, sometimes it connects but segmentation fault
follows immediately. I don't know what's the reason. AFAIK, Exiga
doesn't provide a proxy service the way Skype does. If I call someone,
Ekiga only checks which computer is registered to this address and gives
my client this computer's IP address and that's it, my computer connects
to this computer via its IP. It makes me think if it's reliable enough
to be used in public WiFi networks in hotels, has somebody tested that?
--
<[hidden email]>

_______________________________________________
ekiga-list mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/ekiga-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: segmentation faults and "Remote host is offline"

wempwer
Dude, I tried to call my number from the another computer in the same
LAN and I hit segfault again. Here is the log
http://pastebin.com/4ijEQimV. Do you think it has something to do with
my local environment?
--
<[hidden email]>
_______________________________________________
ekiga-list mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/ekiga-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: segmentation faults and "Remote host is offline"

Eugen Dedu
In reply to this post by wempwer
On 12/05/13 20:46, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi guys,

Hi!

> I am a first time Ekiga user. I got interested in Ekiga because I am
> looking a for a free FLOSS solution to stay in touch with my family
> during a long business trip to a distant country. I set up an account
> at https://www.ekiga.net/ and got a confirmation e-mail. When I start
> Ekiga it says I am registered. I am using Ekiga 4.0.1. Everything is
> fine up to this point.

Good!

> However, there are 2 situations when Ekiga gives me a segmentation fault
> - sometimes when it starts and always at a callback test. Here are the
> log: startup http://pastebin.com/L1rCbUAy, callback test:
> http://pastebin.com/yjr5rA8c.

I have never met those crashes.  Maybe they have something to do with
the fact that your X server does not have randr extension???

Unfortunately, for crashes we need the gdb trace, preferably together
with -d 4, cf.
http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Debugging_Ekiga#How_to_get_a_stack_backtrace_from_a_crash_or_freeze.

> Also, sometimes callback test fails to connect and it says "Remote host

For this error we need a -d 4 log when it appears.

> is offline". However, sometimes it connects but segmentation fault
> follows immediately. I don't know what's the reason. AFAIK, Exiga
> doesn't provide a proxy service the way Skype does. If I call someone,
> Ekiga only checks which computer is registered to this address and gives
> my client this computer's IP address and that's it, my computer connects
> to this computer via its IP. It makes me think if it's reliable enough
> to be used in public WiFi networks in hotels, has somebody tested that?

I personally used it successfully in public wi-fi networks.

So there are three issues: two crashes and a connection error.

--
Eugen
_______________________________________________
ekiga-list mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/ekiga-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: segmentation faults and "Remote host is offline"

Eugen Dedu
In reply to this post by wempwer
On 12/05/13 22:28, [hidden email] wrote:
> Dude, I tried to call my number from the another computer in the same
> LAN and I hit segfault again. Here is the log
> http://pastebin.com/4ijEQimV. Do you think it has something to do with
> my local environment?

I do not know yet, I need the gdb stack.  Anyway, a crash is a crash...

Please send three separate e-mails, to better track them.

--
Eugen
_______________________________________________
ekiga-list mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/ekiga-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: segmentation faults and "Remote host is offline"

Darren Ballegeer
Please remove me from this list. thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: ekiga-list [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Eugen
Dedu
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2013 12:23 PM
To: Ekiga mailing list
Subject: Re: [Ekiga-list] segmentation faults and "Remote host is offline"

On 12/05/13 22:28, [hidden email] wrote:
> Dude, I tried to call my number from the another computer in the same
> LAN and I hit segfault again. Here is the log
> http://pastebin.com/4ijEQimV. Do you think it has something to do with
> my local environment?

I do not know yet, I need the gdb stack.  Anyway, a crash is a crash...

Please send three separate e-mails, to better track them.

--
Eugen
_______________________________________________
ekiga-list mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/ekiga-list

_______________________________________________
ekiga-list mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/ekiga-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: segmentation faults and "Remote host is offline"

Alex Theotokatos
If you want to unsubscribe, go to
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/ekiga-list
and there is an option.

On 05/13/2013 10:56 PM, Darren Ballegeer wrote:

> Please remove me from this list. thanks
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: ekiga-list [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Eugen
> Dedu
> Sent: Monday, May 13, 2013 12:23 PM
> To: Ekiga mailing list
> Subject: Re: [Ekiga-list] segmentation faults and "Remote host is offline"
>
> On 12/05/13 22:28, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Dude, I tried to call my number from the another computer in the same
>> LAN and I hit segfault again. Here is the log
>> http://pastebin.com/4ijEQimV. Do you think it has something to do with
>> my local environment?
>
> I do not know yet, I need the gdb stack.  Anyway, a crash is a crash...
>
> Please send three separate e-mails, to better track them.
>
> --
> Eugen
> _______________________________________________
> ekiga-list mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/ekiga-list
>
> _______________________________________________
> ekiga-list mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/ekiga-list
_______________________________________________
ekiga-list mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/ekiga-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: segmentation faults and "Remote host is offline"

fred k
In reply to this post by Eugen Dedu
Hi,

Eugen said:
> I personally used it successfully in public wi-fi networks.

I have had some difficulties with old ekiga in wireless environment. I tried ekiga 4.0.1 both in wireless and wired environment; results are somewhat reversed.

ekiga 2.0.12 works perfectly on a wired network but very slow to register or originate a call on a wireless, these actions took more than 60 seconds to complete if they ever did. Actions fail frequently.

ekiga 4.0.1 works perfectly on a *wireless* (it's WiMax, not WiFi) connection but not so good on a wired network. On a wired network (ADSL), while trying to register, -d 2 log says "PDU is likely too large (1596 bytes) for UDP datagram" before giving up and say "remote host is offline."

Not sure about segmentation faults but ekiga 4.0.1 aborts once or twice during the course of these tests.


-d 2 log excerpt:
(for your information only. I'll tweak the app/env a bit more before throwing a log at you guys to call for help :-)

...
2013/05/17 22:06:00.433  0:20.353        Pool:0xa6183b70 MediaFormat Validation of merge for media option "Packetization Mode" failed.
2013/05/17 22:06:00.463  0:20.384        Pool:0xa6183b70 SIP PDU is likely too large (1596 bytes) for UDP datagram.
2013/05/17 22:06:00.982  0:20.902 Housekeeper:0xae17ab70 SIP PDU is likely too large (1596 bytes) for UDP datagram.
2013/05/17 22:06:01.982  0:21.902 Housekeeper:0xae17ab70 SIP PDU is likely too large (1596 bytes)
...
2013/05/17 22:06:23.984  0:43.904 Housekeeper:0xae17ab70 SIP Transaction 2 INVITE sip:[hidden email] failed, unknown handler, ID: 06ddd72e-60bd-e211-8162-000bdb4122ea@d7
2013/05/17 22:06:30.760  0:50.680 Opal Liste...0xadff4b70 MonSock Socket read UDP error (113): No route to host
2013/05/17 22:06:30.760  0:50.680 Opal Liste...0xadff4b70 Listen UDP read error.
2013/05/17 22:06:31.294  0:51.214 Opal Liste...0xadff4b70 MonSock Socket read UDP error (113): No route to host
2013/05/17 22:06:31.295  0:51.215 Opal Liste...0xadff4b70 Listen UDP read error.
2013/05/17 22:06:32.269  0:52.189 Opal Liste...0xadff4b70 MonSock Socket read UDP error (113): No route to host
2013/05/17 22:06:32.269  0:52.189 Opal Liste...0xadff4b70 Listen UDP read error.
2013/05/17 22:06:34.271  0:54.191 Opal Liste...0xadff4b70 MonSock Socket read UDP error (113): No route to host
2013/05/17 22:06:34.271  0:54.191 Opal Liste...0xadff4b70 Listen UDP read error.
2013/05/17 22:06:38.277  0:58.197 Opal Liste...0xadff4b70 MonSock Socket read UDP error (113): No route to host
...

-----------------
Installing ekiga 4.0.1 requires me to add some unstable packages from the debian repository to freshly installed debian 7.0, which came with GNOME 3.2. Uggg. Can't find gconf-editor either. Ok, need more reading/searching...

fred_k

_______________________________________________
ekiga-list mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/ekiga-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: segmentation faults and "Remote host is offline"

Eugen Dedu
On 17/05/13 16:53, fred k wrote:
> ekiga 4.0.1 works perfectly on a *wireless* (it's WiMax, not WiFi)
> connection but not so good on a wired network. On a wired network
> (ADSL), while trying to register, -d 2 log says "PDU is likely too large
> (1596 bytes) for UDP datagram" before giving up and say "remote host is
> offline."

Sorry to answer so late.  To workaround this problem you have to check
off some codecs; this will reduce the packet size so that it could enter
the wired network too (limited to about 1400 bytes).

--
Eugen
_______________________________________________
ekiga-list mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/ekiga-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: segmentation faults and "Remote host is offline"

Eugen Dedu
In reply to this post by wempwer
On 12/05/13 20:46, [hidden email] wrote:

> I am a first time Ekiga user. I got interested in Ekiga because I am
> looking a for a free FLOSS solution to stay in touch with my family
> during a long business trip to a distant country. I set up an account
> athttps://www.ekiga.net/  and got a confirmation e-mail. When I start
> Ekiga it says I am registered. I am using Ekiga 4.0.1. Everything is
> fine up to this point.
>
> However, there are 2 situations when Ekiga gives me a segmentation fault
> - sometimes when it starts and always at a callback test. Here are the
> log: startuphttp://pastebin.com/L1rCbUAy, callback test:
> http://pastebin.com/yjr5rA8c.

We need the gdb stack trace for crashes, cf.
http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Debugging_Ekiga#How_to_get_a_stack_backtrace_from_a_crash_or_freeze

> Also, sometimes callback test fails to connect and it says "Remote host
> is offline". However, sometimes it connects but segmentation fault
> follows immediately. I don't know what's the reason. AFAIK, Exiga

We need a -d 4 log for "Remove host is offline".

--
Eugen
_______________________________________________
ekiga-list mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/ekiga-list