ekiga with ipkall over VPN, 30-45 seconds of silence before something comes over the line

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ekiga with ipkall over VPN, 30-45 seconds of silence before something comes over the line

myLC@gmx.net
Hello! :-)

I'm trying to use ekiga (ekiga SIP) in connection with ipkall. I'm using a fast VPN,
which is also located in the States.
When I ring up my number from ipkall, ekiga asks me to take the connection, which I
then do. So far, so good.
Now here's the problem: Even though it's voice only, it takes about 30 to 45 seconds
before any sound goes over the line (either way). I'm guessing this has something to
do with negotiating the codecs.
Any idea on how I could speed this up (i.e. the optimal settings for ipkall)? Like
this it is simple unusable and the VPN is unfortunately a must.

Thank you very much for your help!
_______________________________________________
ekiga-list mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/ekiga-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ekiga with ipkall over VPN, 30-45 seconds of silence before something comes over the line

Eugen Dedu-2
On 03/02/15 15:35, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hello! :-)
>
> I'm trying to use ekiga (ekiga SIP) in connection with ipkall. I'm using a fast VPN,
> which is also located in the States.
> When I ring up my number from ipkall, ekiga asks me to take the connection, which I
> then do. So far, so good.
> Now here's the problem: Even though it's voice only, it takes about 30 to 45 seconds
> before any sound goes over the line (either way). I'm guessing this has something to
> do with negotiating the codecs.

I think this is because of some DNS timeouts.  Could you please send
us/me the -d 4 log?

> Any idea on how I could speed this up (i.e. the optimal settings for ipkall)? Like
> this it is simple unusable and the VPN is unfortunately a must.

--
Eugen
_______________________________________________
ekiga-list mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/ekiga-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ekiga with ipkall over VPN, 30-45 seconds of silence before something comes over the line

myLC@gmx.net
In reply to this post by myLC@gmx.net
Thank you for your answer Eugen! :)

The -d 4 log contains tons of private information. I had a look at it and retried. It turned out
there was always a silence of EXACTLY 30 seconds before the sound came through. I searched the
Internet and found that others had similar issues with the "magic 30 seconds barrier". One of
them posted a viable solution, which works fine for me as well => use Linphone. With Linphone
the connection is almost instantly with sound.
I'm guessing that you may not like this solution, but giving how many have tried to knock down
this wall, I simply spared myself the trouble.

Greetings,
LC

_______________________________________________
ekiga-list mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/ekiga-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ekiga with ipkall over VPN, 30-45 seconds of silence before something comes over the line

Eugen Dedu-2
On 04/02/15 12:05, [hidden email] wrote:
> Thank you for your answer Eugen! :)
>
> The -d 4 log contains tons of private information. I had a look at it and retried. It turned out
> there was always a silence of EXACTLY 30 seconds before the sound came through. I searched the
> Internet and found that others had similar issues with the "magic 30 seconds barrier". One of
> them posted a viable solution, which works fine for me as well => use Linphone. With Linphone
> the connection is almost instantly with sound.
> I'm guessing that you may not like this solution, but giving how many have tried to knock down
> this wall, I simply spared myself the trouble.

No problem, I understand.

--
Eugen
_______________________________________________
ekiga-list mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/ekiga-list