ekiga -d 4 output is going where?

ael-3
This is weird. On Debian testing
  ekiga -d 4 2>&1 > /tmp/ekiga.dmp
produces no output: ekiga.dmp is created but is empty.

Variations on the same theme also do not produce the expected output as
for example

ekiga -d 4 2>&1 |less

ekiga -d 4  *does* flood the terminal as expected.

echo "testing" 2>&1 >/tmp/test.txt works properly.

I think that I am closing the output stream on ekiga just by choosing
"Quit" from the ekiga menu.

Am I forgetting/overlooking something elementary? I do hope it is not
systemd fouling things up as usual...

ael

PS. The ekiga manual does not seem to mention the ekiga wiki.

Re: ekiga -d 4 output is going where?

Eugen Dedu-2
On 07/02/15 17:21, ael wrote:
> This is weird. On Debian testing
>    ekiga -d 4 2>&1 > /tmp/ekiga.dmp
> produces no output: ekiga.dmp is created but is empty.

It is a tricky thing in shell, you need to understand it well.  Here it is.

ekiga writes at descriptor 2.

Your command changes descriptor 2 to use the same as 1, i.e. screen
output, afterwards changes the descriptor 1 to use the file.  It does
NOT changes 2 to be the same as 1!!

Use ekiga -d 4 2>/tmp/ekiga.dmp.

> Variations on the same theme also do not produce the expected output as
> for example
>
> ekiga -d 4 2>&1 |less
>
> ekiga -d 4  *does* flood the terminal as expected.
>
> echo "testing" 2>&1 >/tmp/test.txt works properly.

echo writes at descriptor 1, hence this works.

> I think that I am closing the output stream on ekiga just by choosing
> "Quit" from the ekiga menu.
>
> Am I forgetting/overlooking something elementary? I do hope it is not
> systemd fouling things up as usual...
>
> ael
>
> PS. The ekiga manual does not seem to mention the ekiga wiki.

Damien, I think we should add it, right?

On Sat, Feb 07, 2015 at 10:20:50PM +0100, Eugen Dedu wrote:
> On 07/02/15 17:21, ael wrote:
> >This is weird. On Debian testing
> >   ekiga -d 4 2>&1 > /tmp/ekiga.dmp
> >produces no output: ekiga.dmp is created but is empty.
>
> It is a tricky thing in shell, you need to understand it well.  Here it is.
>
> ekiga writes at descriptor 2.

Ah. Yes. I had indeed forgotten the details of that shell semantics which is not
well documented...

Thanks for reminding me.

ael