building latest ekiga master

Peter Robinson
Hi All,

I thought I'd try to build the latest ekiga dev on Fedora 22 to see
how it looks (and add a copr build [1] for other interested people)
but I was stumped at the first hurdle.

It seems between ptlib 2.10.x and 2.14.x the build system was changed
around quite a lot and has issues on regular distro style packaging
where things like install directory are specified and don't work any
more. They also use things like old config.guess/config.sub dating
back to 2003 so most new architectures are missing too. I didn't have
much time to spend but overall it seems like some regressions in the
newer ptlib/opal side of things so I thought I'd just give people a
heads up.

Peter

[1] https://copr.fedoraproject.org/

Re: building latest ekiga master

Eugen Dedu-2
On 29/04/15 11:04, Peter Robinson wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I thought I'd try to build the latest ekiga dev on Fedora 22 to see
> how it looks (and add a copr build [1] for other interested people)
> but I was stumped at the first hurdle.
>
> It seems between ptlib 2.10.x and 2.14.x the build system was changed
> around quite a lot and has issues on regular distro style packaging
> where things like install directory are specified and don't work any
> more. They also use things like old config.guess/config.sub dating
> back to 2003 so most new architectures are missing too. I didn't have
> much time to spend but overall it seems like some regressions in the
> newer ptlib/opal side of things so I thought I'd just give people a
> heads up.

Thanks a lot for trying!

Could you be more specific about what "install directory" does not work?
  Here on debian ptlib and opal package and install fine.  One note: you
need to use "make opt" in ptlib and opal in order for plugins to be
installed too.

What exactly version of ptlib/opal have you tried (also: release or branch)?

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 10:38 AM, Eugen Dedu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29/04/15 11:04, Peter Robinson wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I thought I'd try to build the latest ekiga dev on Fedora 22 to see
>> how it looks (and add a copr build [1] for other interested people)
>> but I was stumped at the first hurdle.
>>
>> It seems between ptlib 2.10.x and 2.14.x the build system was changed
>> around quite a lot and has issues on regular distro style packaging
>> where things like install directory are specified and don't work any
>> more. They also use things like old config.guess/config.sub dating
>> back to 2003 so most new architectures are missing too. I didn't have
>> much time to spend but overall it seems like some regressions in the
>> newer ptlib/opal side of things so I thought I'd just give people a
>> heads up.
>

> Thanks a lot for trying!
>
> Could you be more specific about what "install directory" does not work?
> Here on debian ptlib and opal package and install fine.  One note: you need
> to use "make opt" in ptlib and opal in order for plugins to be installed
> too.

It's the same mechanism used to build 2.10 and all preceding releases
for years, as it looking at the git logs from the first release we
used in Fedora back to when it changed name from pwlib to ptlib back
in 2008.

> What exactly version of ptlib/opal have you tried (also: release or branch)?

ptlib 2.14.3

On 29/04/15 12:29, Peter Robinson wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 10:38 AM, Eugen Dedu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 29/04/15 11:04, Peter Robinson wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I thought I'd try to build the latest ekiga dev on Fedora 22 to see
>>> how it looks (and add a copr build [1] for other interested people)
>>> but I was stumped at the first hurdle.
>>>
>>> It seems between ptlib 2.10.x and 2.14.x the build system was changed
>>> around quite a lot and has issues on regular distro style packaging
>>> where things like install directory are specified and don't work any
>>> more. They also use things like old config.guess/config.sub dating
>>> back to 2003 so most new architectures are missing too. I didn't have
>>> much time to spend but overall it seems like some regressions in the
>>> newer ptlib/opal side of things so I thought I'd just give people a
>>> heads up.
>>

>> Thanks a lot for trying!
>>
>> Could you be more specific about what "install directory" does not work?
>> Here on debian ptlib and opal package and install fine.  One note: you need
>> to use "make opt" in ptlib and opal in order for plugins to be installed
>> too.
>
> It's the same mechanism used to build 2.10 and all preceding releases
> for years, as it looking at the git logs from the first release we
> used in Fedora back to when it changed name from pwlib to ptlib back
> in 2008.
>
>> What exactly version of ptlib/opal have you tried (also: release or branch)?
>
> ptlib 2.14.3

Could you give me the log of the failed build?  Except updating
config.guess/sub, I do not know what to do.

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 10:04 AM, Eugen Dedu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29/04/15 12:29, Peter Robinson wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 10:38 AM, Eugen Dedu <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> Thanks a lot for trying!
>>>
>>> Could you be more specific about what "install directory" does not work?
>>> Here on debian ptlib and opal package and install fine.  One note: you
>>> need
>>> to use "make opt" in ptlib and opal in order for plugins to be installed
>>> too.
>>

>> It's the same mechanism used to build 2.10 and all preceding releases
>> for years, as it looking at the git logs from the first release we
>> used in Fedora back to when it changed name from pwlib to ptlib back
>> in 2008.
>>
>>> What exactly version of ptlib/opal have you tried (also: release or
>>> branch)?
>>

>> ptlib 2.14.3
>

> Could you give me the log of the failed build?  Except updating
> config.guess/sub, I do not know what to do.

Full logs at [1] but basically the problem is if I run the "make
install" command below it tries to installer it in /usr/lib64 eveen
though it's explicitly specified.

make PREFIX=/builddir/build/BUILDROOT/ptlib-2.14.3-1.fc23.x86_64/usr
LIBDIR=/builddir/build/BUILDROOT/ptlib-2.14.3-1.fc23.x86_64/usr/lib64
install

[1] https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//work/tasks/6670/9606670/build.log

On 30/04/15 13:28, Peter Robinson wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 10:04 AM, Eugen Dedu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 29/04/15 12:29, Peter Robinson wrote:

>>> It's the same mechanism used to build 2.10 and all preceding releases
>>> for years, as it looking at the git logs from the first release we
>>> used in Fedora back to when it changed name from pwlib to ptlib back
>>> in 2008.

>>> ptlib 2.14.3
>>

>> Could you give me the log of the failed build?  Except updating
>> config.guess/sub, I do not know what to do.
>
> Full logs at [1] but basically the problem is if I run the "make
> install" command below it tries to installer it in /usr/lib64 eveen
> though it's explicitly specified.
>
> make PREFIX=/builddir/build/BUILDROOT/ptlib-2.14.3-1.fc23.x86_64/usr
> LIBDIR=/builddir/build/BUILDROOT/ptlib-2.14.3-1.fc23.x86_64/usr/lib64
> install
>
> [1] https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//work/tasks/6670/9606670/build.log

In [1] I see:

+ ./configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
--host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
--disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
--bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
--datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
--libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
--mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info
--prefix=/builddir/build/BUILDROOT/ptlib-2.14.3-1.fc23.x86_64/usr
--disable-static --enable-plugins --disable-oss --enable-v4l2
--disable-avc --disable-v4l --enable-pulse

so you specify --libdir=/usr/lib64.

Afterwards I see (as you also wrote):

+ make PREFIX=/builddir/build/BUILDROOT/ptlib-2.14.3-1.fc23.x86_64/usr
LIBDIR=/builddir/build/BUILDROOT/ptlib-2.14.3-1.fc23.x86_64/usr/lib64
install

As far as I know, the usual (right?) way is to use PREFIX and LIBDIR
with make (as you did), and DESTDIR with make install.  I think you need
to change the make install command into this:

make DESTDIR=/builddir/build/BUILDROOT/ptlib-2.14.3-1.fc23.x86_64/usr
install

What do you think?

Re: building latest ekiga master

On 29/04/15 11:04, Peter Robinson wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I thought I'd try to build the latest ekiga dev on Fedora 22 to see
> how it looks (and add a copr build [1] for other interested people)
> but I was stumped at the first hurdle.
>
> It seems between ptlib 2.10.x and 2.14.x the build system was changed
> around quite a lot and has issues on regular distro style packaging
> where things like install directory are specified and don't work any
> more. They also use things like old config.guess/config.sub dating
> back to 2003 so most new architectures are missing too. I didn't have
> much time to spend but overall it seems like some regressions in the
> newer ptlib/opal side of things so I thought I'd just give people a
> heads up.

I updated config.guess and config.sub, as shown at
http://sourceforge.net/p/opalvoip/code/log/

Could you use the HEAD for your tests instead of last release?  You can
use the same commands to build it, only the source code is different.

On 29/04/15 11:38, Eugen Dedu wrote:

> On 29/04/15 11:04, Peter Robinson wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I thought I'd try to build the latest ekiga dev on Fedora 22 to see
>> how it looks (and add a copr build [1] for other interested people)
>> but I was stumped at the first hurdle.
>>
>> It seems between ptlib 2.10.x and 2.14.x the build system was changed
>> around quite a lot and has issues on regular distro style packaging
>> where things like install directory are specified and don't work any
>> more. They also use things like old config.guess/config.sub dating
>> back to 2003 so most new architectures are missing too. I didn't have
>> much time to spend but overall it seems like some regressions in the
>> newer ptlib/opal side of things so I thought I'd just give people a
>> heads up.
>
> Thanks a lot for trying!
>
> Could you be more specific about what "install directory" does not work?
>   Here on debian ptlib and opal package and install fine.  One note: you
> need to use "make opt" in ptlib and opal in order for plugins to be
> installed too.

Hi Peter,

Just to tell you that I have just fixed the "make opt" thing: now you
can use just make, as usually.