Sound problem

DionvO
Hello all,

I have been testing Ekiga 2.0.1. today on a Debian Sid system.

Having a big problem with sound. I tested it with the echo service.
These are my observations:

- The beep you hear when connecting is loud and clear (so audio settings
are ok)
- After connecting to the echo service, the sound is ok, though a bit
low in volume (much lower than the beep)
- After a short while the sound gets awfull. Cracking sound, almost not
possible to understand what is said.
- When I minimize the Ekiga window and maximize it again, sound gets ok
again.
- When I start another app while keeping connected to the echo service,
the sound gets awfull again, so I need to minimize/maximize the Ekiga
window again (sometimes a couple of times) to get 'normal sound' back.

I am using ALSA and a Logitech USB headset. Working with the
Enlightenment 17 desktop, but same problem appears in IceWM.

I ran Ekiga with option -d 1 and during startup I got this error message:

2006/04/03 19:10:27.477   0:02.488                        ekiga AVAHI
Error initializing Avahi: %sDaemon not running

I don't know if the sound problem relates to this Avahi daemon not running.
Do I need to install some Avahi package in order for Ekiga to run properly?

Any help is very much appreciated,

Dion

Re: Sound problem

Le lundi 03 avril 2006 à 19:12 +0200, Dion van Oirschot a écrit :

> Hello all,
>

> I have been testing Ekiga 2.0.1. today on a Debian Sid system.
>
> Having a big problem with sound. I tested it with the echo service.
> These are my observations:
>
> - The beep you hear when connecting is loud and clear (so audio settings
> are ok)
> - After connecting to the echo service, the sound is ok, though a bit
> low in volume (much lower than the beep)

Have you tried to enable "Mic BOOST" in your favorite mixer?

> - After a short while the sound gets awfull. Cracking sound, almost not
> possible to understand what is said.
> - When I minimize the Ekiga window and maximize it again, sound gets ok
> again.
> - When I start another app while keeping connected to the echo service,
> the sound gets awfull again, so I need to minimize/maximize the Ekiga
> window again (sometimes a couple of times) to get 'normal sound' back.
>
> I am using ALSA and a Logitech USB headset. Working with the
> Enlightenment 17 desktop, but same problem appears in IceWM.

Wouldn't you be using a distribution that gives all the priority to the
X server so that other applications can not work in real time?

See the "nice_value" in /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config .

> I ran Ekiga with option -d 1 and during startup I got this error message:
>
> 2006/04/03 19:10:27.477   0:02.488                        ekiga AVAHI
> Error initializing Avahi: %sDaemon not running
>
> I don't know if the sound problem relates to this Avahi daemon not running.
> Do I need to install some Avahi package in order for Ekiga to run properly?

It is not related.

> Any help is very much appreciated,
>
> Dion
 _      Damien Sandras
(o-
//\     Ekiga Softphone: http://www.ekiga.org/
v_/_    FOSDEM 2006    : http://www.fosdem.org/
        SIP Phone      : sip:[hidden email]
                         sip:[hidden email]

Re: Sound problem

DionvO
Hi Damien,

1. Mic Boost is not the issue here. The received sound from echo service at the beginning (the nice lady explaining about echo service) is as low in volume as the things I say afterwards. But the beep is much louder.

2. I checked the nice-value in /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config; it is -10. I have no idea if this is high or not. I am not that technically experienced.

3. The Avahi daemon not running has no significance to this problem you say, but does that also mean I can ignore the error message?

Thanks for your help so far!

Greetings,

Dion

Hi,

Le lundi 03 avril 2006 à 21:40 +0200, Dion van Oirschot a écrit :
> Hi Damien,
>

> 1. Mic Boost is not the issue here. The received sound from echo
> service at the beginning (the nice lady explaining about echo service)
> is as low in volume as the things I say afterwards. But the beep is
> much louder.

Then it is a volume issue on your side.

> 2. I checked the nice-value in /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config; it is -10. I
> have no idea if this is high or not. I am not that technically
> experienced.

It is huge, it means that your X Server has all the priority over other
processes, so Ekiga gets too low priority when there is activity.
Use a sane value like 0 instead.

> 3. The Avahi daemon not running has no significance to this problem
> you say, but does that also mean I can ignore the error message?

Yes.

> Thanks for your help so far!
>
> Greetings,
>
> Dion
>

> Damien Sandras wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Le lundi 03 avril 2006 à 19:12 +0200, Dion van Oirschot a écrit :
> >
> > > Hello all,
> > >

> > > I have been testing Ekiga 2.0.1. today on a Debian Sid system.
> > >
> > > Having a big problem with sound. I tested it with the echo service.
> > > These are my observations:
> > >
> > > - The beep you hear when connecting is loud and clear (so audio settings
> > > are ok)
> > > - After connecting to the echo service, the sound is ok, though a bit
> > > low in volume (much lower than the beep)
> > >

> > Have you tried to enable "Mic BOOST" in your favorite mixer?
> >

> > > - After a short while the sound gets awfull. Cracking sound, almost not
> > > possible to understand what is said.
> > > - When I minimize the Ekiga window and maximize it again, sound gets ok
> > > again.
> > > - When I start another app while keeping connected to the echo service,
> > > the sound gets awfull again, so I need to minimize/maximize the Ekiga
> > > window again (sometimes a couple of times) to get 'normal sound' back.
> > >
> > > I am using ALSA and a Logitech USB headset. Working with the
> > > Enlightenment 17 desktop, but same problem appears in IceWM.
> > >

> > Wouldn't you be using a distribution that gives all the priority to the
> > X server so that other applications can not work in real time?
> >
> > See the "nice_value" in /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config .
> >

> > > I ran Ekiga with option -d 1 and during startup I got this error message:
> > >
> > > 2006/04/03 19:10:27.477   0:02.488                        ekiga AVAHI
> > > Error initializing Avahi: %sDaemon not running
> > >
> > > I don't know if the sound problem relates to this Avahi daemon not running.
> > > Do I need to install some Avahi package in order for Ekiga to run properly?
> > >

> > It is not related.
> >

> > > Any help is very much appreciated,
> > >
> > > Dion
 _      Damien Sandras
(o-
//\     Ekiga Softphone: http://www.ekiga.org/
v_/_    FOSDEM 2006    : http://www.fosdem.org/
        SIP Phone      : sip:[hidden email]
                         sip:[hidden email]

Re: Sound problem

DionvO
Hi Damien,

Me ... again ...

1. If it is a volume issue on my side, how come the beep is loud and the speach is low volume? BTW, I have none such trouble in skype.

2. I changed the nice value to 0, no improvement.

Greetings,

Dion

Damien Sandras wrote:
Hi,

[...]

Damien Sandras wrote:

Hi,

[...]

dcorking
On 4/3/06, Dion van Oirschot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  1. If it is a volume issue on my side, how come the beep is loud and the
> speach is low volume? BTW, I have none such trouble in skype.

It is on Dion's side, but my guess is that the problem is inside
Dion's ekiga.   A normal mixer volume control will not help him as
adjusting the PCM volume will adjust both the ekiga sound effects and
the voice.    Anyone know if there is a gconf setting?

>  2. I changed the nice value to 0, no improvement.

Did you restart your X server ?

By the way, if CPU usage ever goes up to 100% with any voip app I
know, you get crackly sound.

Re: Sound problem

Johnny Strom
Dion van Oirschot wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> I have been testing Ekiga 2.0.1. today on a Debian Sid system.
>
> Having a big problem with sound. I tested it with the echo service.
> These are my observations:
>
> - The beep you hear when connecting is loud and clear (so audio settings
> are ok)
> - After connecting to the echo service, the sound is ok, though a bit
> low in volume (much lower than the beep)
> - After a short while the sound gets awfull. Cracking sound, almost not
> possible to understand what is said.
> - When I minimize the Ekiga window and maximize it again, sound gets ok
> again.
> - When I start another app while keeping connected to the echo service,
> the sound gets awfull again, so I need to minimize/maximize the Ekiga
> window again (sometimes a couple of times) to get 'normal sound' back.

Hi

Try to disable echo cancellation.

> I am using ALSA and a Logitech USB headset. Working with the
> Enlightenment 17 desktop, but same problem appears in IceWM.
>
> I ran Ekiga with option -d 1 and during startup I got this error message:
>
> 2006/04/03 19:10:27.477   0:02.488                        ekiga AVAHI
> Error initializing Avahi: %sDaemon not running
>
> I don't know if the sound problem relates to this Avahi daemon not running.
> Do I need to install some Avahi package in order for Ekiga to run properly?
>
> Any help is very much appreciated,
>
> Dion

Re: Sound problem

Le lundi 03 avril 2006 à 22:13 +0200, Dion van Oirschot a écrit :
> Hi Damien,
>
> Me ... again ...
>

> 1. If it is a volume issue on my side, how come the beep is loud and
> the speach is low volume? BTW, I have none such trouble in skype.

Have you connected to [hidden email] using Skype?
Here the beep volume is as loud as the female voice.

That doesn't sound like an Ekiga problem to me.

> 2. I changed the nice value to 0, no improvement.

Same here, that sounds like an OS issue.

> Greetings,
>
> Dion
>

> Damien Sandras wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Le lundi 03 avril 2006 à 21:40 +0200, Dion van Oirschot a écrit :
> >
> > > Hi Damien,
> > >

> > > 1. Mic Boost is not the issue here. The received sound from echo
> > > service at the beginning (the nice lady explaining about echo service)
> > > is as low in volume as the things I say afterwards. But the beep is
> > > much louder.
> > >

> > Then it is a volume issue on your side.
> >

> > > 2. I checked the nice-value in /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config; it is -10. I
> > > have no idea if this is high or not. I am not that technically
> > > experienced.
> > >

> > It is huge, it means that your X Server has all the priority over other
> > processes, so Ekiga gets too low priority when there is activity.
> > Use a sane value like 0 instead.
> >

> > > 3. The Avahi daemon not running has no significance to this problem
> > > you say, but does that also mean I can ignore the error message?
> > >

> > Yes.
> >

> > > Thanks for your help so far!
> > >
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > Dion

 _      Damien Sandras
(o-
//\     Ekiga Softphone: http://www.ekiga.org/
v_/_    FOSDEM 2006    : http://www.fosdem.org/
        SIP Phone      : sip:[hidden email]
                         sip:[hidden email]

Re: Sound problem

DionvO
Hi all,

Thanks for the tip Johnny, I tried disabling echo cancellation. It
doesn't work to get the choppyness off the sound but it did work to get
the volume of the speach I hear much higher so now the volume has a more
normal level.

Still I have this problem with the sound qualitiy. I have done some
experimenting again and observed:

1. When I startup Ekiga and call 500:@ekiga.net (echo service), at first
the sound of the voice of the lady is terrible. It is just like
noise/choppy sound and you can't even understand what she is saying.
Maybe if I could pipe the sound output to a sound recorder I could send
in a sample of what I hear. It might help finding out what the problem
really is. Will look into this.

2. When I close ekiga (to the system tray) and reopen it, sound turns
back to normal and stays normal. Clear, comprehensible and no noise.

3. When I open another app or even switch to another desktop or open one
of the menu's in Ekiga, sound returns to being awfull. I have to close
and reopen Ekiga (to systray) to get sound normal again.

4. Memory usage is normal (290 of 512 kb free)

5. CPU usage is normal (maximum 20% during call)

Any clues on how to solve this are very welcome.

Greetings,

Dion

Johnny Strom wrote:

> Dion van Oirschot wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>

>> I have been testing Ekiga 2.0.1. today on a Debian Sid system.
>>
>> Having a big problem with sound. I tested it with the echo service.
>> These are my observations:
>>
>> - The beep you hear when connecting is loud and clear (so audio
>> settings are ok)
>> - After connecting to the echo service, the sound is ok, though a bit
>> low in volume (much lower than the beep)
>> - After a short while the sound gets awfull. Cracking sound, almost
>> not possible to understand what is said.
>> - When I minimize the Ekiga window and maximize it again, sound gets
>> ok again.
>> - When I start another app while keeping connected to the echo
>> service, the sound gets awfull again, so I need to minimize/maximize
>> the Ekiga window again (sometimes a couple of times) to get 'normal
>> sound' back.
>>

> Hi
>
> Try to disable echo cancellation.
>
>> I am using ALSA and a Logitech USB headset. Working with the
>> Enlightenment 17 desktop, but same problem appears in IceWM.
>>
>> I ran Ekiga with option -d 1 and during startup I got this error
>> message:
>>
>> 2006/04/03 19:10:27.477   0:02.488                        ekiga
>> AVAHI   Error initializing Avahi: %sDaemon not running
>>
>> I don't know if the sound problem relates to this Avahi daemon not
>> running.
>> Do I need to install some Avahi package in order for Ekiga to run
>> properly?
>>
>> Any help is very much appreciated,
>>
>> Dion

Re: Sound problem

Dion / Group W
Hi all,

With a little help of a friend of mine, I partially solved the sound
problem. The problem lies somewhere in the USB-headset.

I changed the settings so Ekiga uses my normal soundcard for sound
output and my USB-headset's mic for input. Now everything works fine!

Still I wonder why it is not working with sound sent to my headset. My
headset works fine in skype (both directions).

The headset is a Logitech® Premium USB Headset 350

Hope someone can tell me what I can do about this.

Greetings,

Dion

Johnny Strom wrote:

> Dion van Oirschot wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>

>> I have been testing Ekiga 2.0.1. today on a Debian Sid system.
>>
>> Having a big problem with sound. I tested it with the echo service.
>> These are my observations:
>>
>> - The beep you hear when connecting is loud and clear (so audio
>> settings are ok)
>> - After connecting to the echo service, the sound is ok, though a bit
>> low in volume (much lower than the beep)
>> - After a short while the sound gets awfull. Cracking sound, almost
>> not possible to understand what is said.
>> - When I minimize the Ekiga window and maximize it again, sound gets
>> ok again.
>> - When I start another app while keeping connected to the echo
>> service, the sound gets awfull again, so I need to minimize/maximize
>> the Ekiga window again (sometimes a couple of times) to get 'normal
>> sound' back.
>>

> Hi
>
> Try to disable echo cancellation.
>
>> I am using ALSA and a Logitech USB headset. Working with the
>> Enlightenment 17 desktop, but same problem appears in IceWM.
>>
>> I ran Ekiga with option -d 1 and during startup I got this error
>> message:
>>
>> 2006/04/03 19:10:27.477   0:02.488                        ekiga
>> AVAHI   Error initializing Avahi: %sDaemon not running
>>
>> I don't know if the sound problem relates to this Avahi daemon not
>> running.
>> Do I need to install some Avahi package in order for Ekiga to run
>> properly?
>>
>> Any help is very much appreciated,
>>
>> Dion

Re: Sound problem

Probably the ALSA driver has a bug that doesn't show with the OSS
emulation layer used by Skype.

You can test if you get good results (or not) with this command:
arecord -D plughw:0,0 -c 1 -r 8000 -f S16_LE - | aplay -D plughw:0,0 -c
1 -r 8000 -f S16_LE -

You can also test with -r 16000 instead of -r 8000.

Finally, notice that perhaps your USB HeadSet is plughw:1,0, not 0,0

Le mardi 04 avril 2006 à 21:44 +0200, Dion van Oirschot a écrit :

> [...]
> >> ok again.
> >> - When I start another app while keeping connected to the echo
> >> service, the sound gets awfull again, so I need to minimize/maximize
> >> the Ekiga window again (sometimes a couple of times) to get 'normal
> >> sound' back.
> >>

> > Hi
> >
> > Try to disable echo cancellation.
> >
> >> I am using ALSA and a Logitech USB headset. Working with the
> >> Enlightenment 17 desktop, but same problem appears in IceWM.
> >>
> >> I ran Ekiga with option -d 1 and during startup I got this error
> >> message:
> >>
> >> 2006/04/03 19:10:27.477   0:02.488                        ekiga
> >> AVAHI   Error initializing Avahi: %sDaemon not running
> >>
> >> I don't know if the sound problem relates to this Avahi daemon not
> >> running.
> >> Do I need to install some Avahi package in order for Ekiga to run

Stefan Brüns-2

Some additional notes:

If you supply an additional "-vv" to aplay, it shows you a bargraph
representing the volume level. Knocking on the microphone should give you
100%. Which device your Headset is can be seen via "cat /proc/asound/cards".
Also make sure the mixer levels are really raised, for some devices ekiga
might fail to find the right mixer.

Stefan

Re: Sound problem

DionvO
Hi Damien,

I did the test you recommended. I get perfect output to my USB headset
(with plughw:1,0) in both settings (-r 8000 and -r 16000) so this seems
not to be the problem.

Do you know of any way to pipe the output of ekiga to a file so I could
send it over so you can hear the sound? Maybe this gives some clue on a
solution?

Thanks for the help so far!

Greetings,

Dion

Damien Sandras wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Probably the ALSA driver has a bug that doesn't show with the OSS
> emulation layer used by Skype.
>
> You can test if you get good results (or not) with this command:
> arecord -D plughw:0,0 -c 1 -r 8000 -f S16_LE - | aplay -D plughw:0,0 -c
> 1 -r 8000 -f S16_LE -
>
> You can also test with -r 16000 instead of -r 8000.
>
> Finally, notice that perhaps your USB HeadSet is plughw:1,0, not 0,0
>
> Le mardi 04 avril 2006 à 21:44 +0200, Dion van Oirschot a écrit :
>
>> Hi all,
>>

>> With a little help of a friend of mine, I partially solved the sound
>> problem. The problem lies somewhere in the USB-headset.
>>
>> I changed the settings so Ekiga uses my normal soundcard for sound
>> output and my USB-headset's mic for input. Now everything works fine!
>>
>> Still I wonder why it is not working with sound sent to my headset. My
>> headset works fine in skype (both directions).
>>
>> The headset is a Logitech® Premium USB Headset 350
>>
>> Hope someone can tell me what I can do about this.
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Dion
>>

>> Hi all,
>>

>> Thanks for the tip Johnny, I tried disabling echo cancellation. It
>> doesn't work to get the choppyness off the sound but it did work to get
>> the volume of the speach I hear much higher so now the volume has a more
>> normal level.
>>
>> Still I have this problem with the sound qualitiy. I have done some
>> experimenting again and observed:
>>
>> 1. When I startup Ekiga and call 500:@ekiga.net (echo service), at first
>> the sound of the voice of the lady is terrible. It is just like
>> noise/choppy sound and you can't even understand what she is saying.
>> Maybe if I could pipe the sound output to a sound recorder I could send
>> in a sample of what I hear. It might help finding out what the problem
>> really is. Will look into this.
>>
>> 2. When I close ekiga (to the system tray) and reopen it, sound turns
>> back to normal and stays normal. Clear, comprehensible and no noise.
>>
>> 3. When I open another app or even switch to another desktop or open one
>> of the menu's in Ekiga, sound returns to being awfull. I have to close
>> and reopen Ekiga (to systray) to get sound normal again.
>>
>> 4. Memory usage is normal (290 of 512 kb free)
>>
>> 5. CPU usage is normal (maximum 20% during call)
>>
>> Any clues on how to solve this are very welcome.
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Dion
>>

>> Johnny Strom wrote:

>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Try to disable echo cancellation.

Re: Sound problem

Damien Sandras
Le jeudi 06 avril 2006 à 23:45 +0200, Dion van Oirschot a écrit :

> Hi Damien,
>

> I did the test you recommended. I get perfect output to my USB headset
> (with plughw:1,0) in both settings (-r 8000 and -r 16000) so this seems
> not to be the problem.
>
> Do you know of any way to pipe the output of ekiga to a file so I could
> send it over so you can hear the sound? Maybe this gives some clue on a
> solution?

I don't know how to do that.
But have you tried to disable echo cancellation and/or silence
detection?

That is weird that the normal soundcard works fine and not the USB
headset.