Some new queries

Bret Busby
Hello.

After an absence for a while, I have installed UbuntuMATE 15.10 on a
couple of computers here, and have now installed ekiga on one of them,
on which computer, I had got skype working, before microsoft sabotaged
skype and stopped access for skype 2.2 .

On this computer, the version of ekiga that I have installed, is 4.0.1 ,
and so, I am waiting to find whether I can get this version working to
make videocalls.

I note that, in searching for people, using the ekiga.net directory, the
only information shown, for people found (and, from memory, it is the
only information that can be entered about the person, when setting up
an ekiga account), is the person's name as entered (I did find a few
Fred Flintstone's, so I assume that some people are using aliases for
their names), and, the sip address.

I saw on the ekiga web site (the .org one), information that a
super-dooper new version of ekiga is being developed; version 5, as
mentioned at http://ekiga.org/news/2015-03-08/ekiga-5.0-next-big-thing .

That web page does not (I believe) include reference to the prospect of
additional personal information being included and retrieved, so, my
first question is thus; do the plans for ekiga v5, include the prosepct
of expanded personal information - user profiles - so as to include
useful information such as location - locality and state/province and
country, with timezone; eg UTC+xxxx (here in Western Australia, for
example, we are UTC+0800), and preferred language for communication?

These can be useful items of information, for determining whether to try
to contact an unknown person, and, if a user decides it is worthwhile to
try to contact an unknown person, what the time difference is likely to
be, and therefore, a likely reasonable time to try to contact the other
person. The timezones can also be useful, for when a user forgets the
time differences for people with whom the user havs previously been in
contact.

This kind of nformation, was part of the information that was available
to be included (not required to be included, but, could be included, if
a user was willing), and, thence, could be retrieved in examining a
person's prifile, in the usable version of skype; v2.2, before microsoft
sabotaged skype.

I believe that skype 2.2 also included, in the personal profiles,
provision for such information as age and birthdays, etc.

Also, in noting that ekiga is available for Linux, and "NetBSD, OpenBSD,
OpenSolaris and other Unix-like systems.", and, for MS Windows, does
ekiga run on tablet PC's, including Windows Tablets, like the MS Surface
ones, and, on android tablet PC's? I understand that the android OS is
said to be Linux-based.

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
   Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
   "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
   A Trilogy In Four Parts",
   written by Douglas Adams,
   published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Some new queries

Bret Busby-2
On 04/11/2015, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> After an absence for a while, I have installed UbuntuMATE 15.10 on a
> couple of computers here, and have now installed ekiga on one of them,
> on which computer, I had got skype working, before microsoft sabotaged
> skype and stopped access for skype 2.2 .
>
> On this computer, the version of ekiga that I have installed, is 4.0.1 ,
> and so, I am waiting to find whether I can get this version working to
> make videocalls.
>
> I note that, in searching for people, using the ekiga.net directory, the
> only information shown, for people found (and, from memory, it is the
> only information that can be entered about the person, when setting up
> an ekiga account), is the person's name as entered (I did find a few
> Fred Flintstone's, so I assume that some people are using aliases for
> their names), and, the sip address.
>
> I saw on the ekiga web site (the .org one), information that a
> super-dooper new version of ekiga is being developed; version 5, as
> mentioned at http://ekiga.org/news/2015-03-08/ekiga-5.0-next-big-thing .
>
> That web page does not (I believe) include reference to the prospect of
> additional personal information being included and retrieved, so, my
> first question is thus; do the plans for ekiga v5, include the prosepct
> of expanded personal information - user profiles - so as to include
> useful information such as location - locality and state/province and
> country, with timezone; eg UTC+xxxx (here in Western Australia, for
> example, we are UTC+0800), and preferred language for communication?
>
> These can be useful items of information, for determining whether to try
> to contact an unknown person, and, if a user decides it is worthwhile to
> try to contact an unknown person, what the time difference is likely to
> be, and therefore, a likely reasonable time to try to contact the other
> person. The timezones can also be useful, for when a user forgets the
> time differences for people with whom the user havs previously been in
> contact.
>
> This kind of nformation, was part of the information that was available
> to be included (not required to be included, but, could be included, if
> a user was willing), and, thence, could be retrieved in examining a
> person's prifile, in the usable version of skype; v2.2, before microsoft
> sabotaged skype.
>
> I believe that skype 2.2 also included, in the personal profiles,
> provision for such information as age and birthdays, etc.
>
> Also, in noting that ekiga is available for Linux, and "NetBSD, OpenBSD,
> OpenSolaris and other Unix-like systems.", and, for MS Windows, does
> ekiga run on tablet PC's, including Windows Tablets, like the MS Surface
> ones, and, on android tablet PC's? I understand that the android OS is
> said to be Linux-based.
>
> Thank you in anticipation.

And, now, yeat another query.

In trying to send a chat message to a person, I got the following response;

"NOTICE: Could not send message: user offline"

When that happens, does the message then get dropped (discarded as
being unable to be sent), or, does the message get retained, and, then
sending effected, when the addressee next logs in?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Some new queries

Eugen Dedu-2
On 04/11/15 06:54, Bret Busby wrote:
> And, now, yeat another query.
>
> In trying to send a chat message to a person, I got the following response;
>
> "NOTICE: Could not send message: user offline"
>
> When that happens, does the message then get dropped (discarded as
> being unable to be sent), or, does the message get retained, and, then
> sending effected, when the addressee next logs in?

Hi Bret,

I wrote about this in
http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Manual#Sending_instant_messages_.28chatting.29:
messages are not stored.  It would be better, if possible, to inform
about that in Ekiga itself, I put this on my TODO list.

Re: Some new queries

Bret Busby-2
On 04/11/2015, Eugen Dedu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/11/15 06:54, Bret Busby wrote:
>> And, now, yeat another query.
>>
>> In trying to send a chat message to a person, I got the following
>> response;
>>
>> "NOTICE: Could not send message: user offline"
>>
>> When that happens, does the message then get dropped (discarded as
>> being unable to be sent), or, does the message get retained, and, then
>> sending effected, when the addressee next logs in?
>
> Hi Bret,
>
> I wrote about this in
> http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Manual#Sending_instant_messages_.28chatting.29:
>
> messages are not stored.  It would be better, if possible, to inform
> about that in Ekiga itself, I put this on my TODO list.
>
> --
> Eugen

Hello.

Thank you or your reply.

Is there and chance of the messages not being stored, being changed in
the upcoming version 5?

In skype (from memory, it was in the version 2.2, which was far
superior to the current version), messages could be saved, so that,
both a history of messages sent and received, was available, and, when
a message, like a contact request (I think it was named) message, was
sent to someone who was offline, when the addressee was next online,
the addressee would receive the message.

On 04/11/15 10:07, Bret Busby wrote:

> On 04/11/2015, Eugen Dedu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 04/11/15 06:54, Bret Busby wrote:
>>> And, now, yeat another query.
>>>
>>> In trying to send a chat message to a person, I got the following
>>> response;
>>>
>>> "NOTICE: Could not send message: user offline"
>>>
>>> When that happens, does the message then get dropped (discarded as
>>> being unable to be sent), or, does the message get retained, and, then
>>> sending effected, when the addressee next logs in?
>>
>> Hi Bret,
>>
>> I wrote about this in
>> http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Manual#Sending_instant_messages_.28chatting.29:
>>
>> messages are not stored.  It would be better, if possible, to inform
>> about that in Ekiga itself, I put this on my TODO list.
>>
>> --
>> Eugen
>
> Hello.
>
> Thank you or your reply.
>
> Is there and chance of the messages not being stored, being changed in
> the upcoming version 5?

Currently, nothing changed.

What you ask does not depend on Ekiga, but on the Ekiga.net (or
whatever) platform.  Messages need to be stored on server, not on Ekiga
itself, in order to be delivered when the user connects.

It is planned to improve Ekiga.net soon, if Damien does not answer in
1-2 days I suggest to create a bug report.

> In skype (from memory, it was in the version 2.2, which was far
> superior to the current version), messages could be saved, so that,
> both a history of messages sent and received, was available, and, when
> a message, like a contact request (I think it was named) message, was
> sent to someone who was offline, when the addressee was next online,
> the addressee would receive the message.

I agree with you that it is a useful feature.

Re: Some new queries

Damien Sandras
Hi Bret, I wrote about this in http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Manual#Sending_instant_messages_.28chatting.29: messages are not stored. It would be better, if possible, to inform about that in Ekiga itself, I put this on my TODO list. -- Eugen
Hello. Thank you or your reply. Is there and chance of the messages not being stored, being changed in the upcoming version 5?
Currently, nothing changed. What you ask does not depend on Ekiga, but on the Ekiga.net (or whatever) platform. Messages need to be stored on server, not on Ekiga itself, in order to be delivered when the user connects. It is planned to improve Ekiga.net soon, if Damien does not answer in 1-2 days I suggest to create a bug report.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of a module supporting this in Kamailio or OpenSIPS. There is the msilo module, but it is limited to "MESSAGE" SIP requests while Ekiga will move to the more modern MSRP.

Unfortunately again, I do not think that Ekiga 5.0 will be a big improvement in that area. We are severely lacking manpower. And while we will support more codecs, a revamped UI using modern libraries, other features like server-side contacts lists, im history and so on will not be implemented now.
--
Damien SANDRAS

Ekiga Project
http://www.ekiga.org

Re: Some new queries

On 03/11/15 17:21, Bret Busby wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I note that, in searching for people, using the ekiga.net directory, the
> only information shown, for people found (and, from memory, it is the
> only information that can be entered about the person, when setting up
> an ekiga account), is the person's name as entered (I did find a few
> Fred Flintstone's, so I assume that some people are using aliases for
> their names), and, the sip address.
>
> I saw on the ekiga web site (the .org one), information that a
> super-dooper new version of ekiga is being developed; version 5, as
> mentioned at http://ekiga.org/news/2015-03-08/ekiga-5.0-next-big-thing .
>
> That web page does not (I believe) include reference to the prospect of
> additional personal information being included and retrieved, so, my
> first question is thus; do the plans for ekiga v5, include the prosepct
> of expanded personal information - user profiles - so as to include
> useful information such as location - locality and state/province and
> country, with timezone; eg UTC+xxxx (here in Western Australia, for
> example, we are UTC+0800), and preferred language for communication?
>
> These can be useful items of information, for determining whether to try
> to contact an unknown person, and, if a user decides it is worthwhile to
> try to contact an unknown person, what the time difference is likely to
> be, and therefore, a likely reasonable time to try to contact the other
> person. The timezones can also be useful, for when a user forgets the
> time differences for people with whom the user havs previously been in
> contact.
>
> This kind of nformation, was part of the information that was available
> to be included (not required to be included, but, could be included, if
> a user was willing), and, thence, could be retrieved in examining a
> person's prifile, in the usable version of skype; v2.2, before microsoft
> sabotaged skype.
>
> I believe that skype 2.2 also included, in the personal profiles,
> provision for such information as age and birthdays, etc.

I worked a bit on that 2-3 years ago.  Currently, nothing has changed in
that area.  I do not have any opinion on this feature.  During Ekiga.net
rework, we could take this into account.  Again, if Damien does not
aswer in 1-2 days, create a bug report.

> Also, in noting that ekiga is available for Linux, and "NetBSD, OpenBSD,
> OpenSolaris and other Unix-like systems.", and, for MS Windows, does
> ekiga run on tablet PC's, including Windows Tablets, like the MS Surface
> ones, and, on android tablet PC's? I understand that the android OS is
> said to be Linux-based.

Well, it does not work there, I will update this text.