STUN server "stun.ekiga.net" replies Blocked, external IP 127.0.0.1

STUN server "stun.ekiga.net" replies Blocked, external IP 127.0.0.1

John Talbut
I am getting the "Ekiga did not manage to configure your network
settings automatically" message.  I have followed the instructions and
checked my router settings, which seem correct (I think I have used
Ekiga before without this problem).

Using the command: ekiga -d 4 2>&1 | grep STUN
I get:

2015/04/03 15:02:04.701  0:02.756                       Ekiga Started
STUN detector
2015/04/03 15:02:07.171  0:05.226 StunDetector:0xad47db40 STUN No
response to STUN server 77.72.174.167:3478
2015/04/03 15:02:07.172  0:05.226 StunDetector:0xad47db40 OPAL STUN
server "stun.ekiga.net" replies Blocked, external IP 127.0.0.1
2015/04/03 15:02:08.556  0:06.610 Housekeeper:0xad8dab40 Ekiga Stopped
STUN detector
2015/04/03 15:02:11.091  0:09.146  subscriber:0xaac14b40 STUN STUN
server 77.72.174.167:3478 unexpectedly went offline getting external
address.

If the STUN server is replying to 127.0.0.1 then I imagine that the
router would block it since this is just a loopback address.

Any suggestions about what is wrong.

John

Re: STUN server "stun.ekiga.net" replies Blocked, external IP 127.0.0.1

Eugen Dedu-2
On 03/04/15 16:14, John Talbut wrote:

> I am getting the "Ekiga did not manage to configure your network
> settings automatically" message.  I have followed the instructions and
> checked my router settings, which seem correct (I think I have used
> Ekiga before without this problem).
>
> Using the command: ekiga -d 4 2>&1 | grep STUN
> I get:
>
> 2015/04/03 15:02:04.701      0:02.756
> Ekiga    Started STUN detector
> 2015/04/03 15:02:07.171      0:05.226    StunDetector:0xad47db40
> STUN    No response to STUN server 77.72.174.167:3478
> 2015/04/03 15:02:07.172      0:05.226    StunDetector:0xad47db40
> OPAL    STUN server "stun.ekiga.net" replies Blocked, external IP 127.0.0.1
> 2015/04/03 15:02:08.556      0:06.610     Housekeeper:0xad8dab40
> Ekiga    Stopped STUN detector
> 2015/04/03 15:02:11.091      0:09.146      subscriber:0xaac14b40
> STUN    STUN server 77.72.174.167:3478 unexpectedly went offline getting
> external address.
>
> If the STUN server is replying to 127.0.0.1 then I imagine that the
> router would block it since this is just a loopback address.

Right.

The problem is "No response to STUN server".  This means it cannot
contact it.  Why?  Possible answers:
- you are not connected to Internet (I suppose this is not your case,
right?)
- there is a firewall which blocks those packets

STUN uses ports 3478 to 3479 (perhaps the following ones too), does a
machine block these ports?

On 03/04/15 15:38, Eugen Dedu wrote:

> On 03/04/15 16:14, John Talbut wrote:
>> I am getting the "Ekiga did not manage to configure your network
>> settings automatically" message.  I have followed the instructions and
>> checked my router settings, which seem correct (I think I have used
>> Ekiga before without this problem).
>>
>> Using the command: ekiga -d 4 2>&1 | grep STUN
>> I get:
>>
>> 2015/04/03 15:02:04.701      0:02.756
>> Ekiga    Started STUN detector
>> 2015/04/03 15:02:07.171      0:05.226    StunDetector:0xad47db40
>> STUN    No response to STUN server 77.72.174.167:3478
>> 2015/04/03 15:02:07.172      0:05.226    StunDetector:0xad47db40
>> OPAL    STUN server "stun.ekiga.net" replies Blocked, external IP
>> 127.0.0.1
>> 2015/04/03 15:02:08.556      0:06.610     Housekeeper:0xad8dab40
>> Ekiga    Stopped STUN detector
>> 2015/04/03 15:02:11.091      0:09.146      subscriber:0xaac14b40
>> STUN    STUN server 77.72.174.167:3478 unexpectedly went offline getting
>> external address.
>>
>> If the STUN server is replying to 127.0.0.1 then I imagine that the
>> router would block it since this is just a loopback address.
>
> Right.
>
> The problem is "No response to STUN server".  This means it cannot
> contact it.  Why?  Possible answers:
> - you are not connected to Internet (I suppose this is not your case,
> right?)
> - there is a firewall which blocks those packets
>
> STUN uses ports 3478 to 3479 (perhaps the following ones too), does a
> machine block these ports?

Thanks Eugen
I had checked and have rechecked my router and ports 3478 - 3479 are
allowed.  Also I can successfully ping and run traceroute to 77.72.174.167.
John

Re: STUN server "stun.ekiga.net" replies Blocked, external IP 127.0.0.1

ael-3
On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 03:14:17PM +0100, John Talbut wrote:
> I am getting the "Ekiga did not manage to configure your network settings
> automatically" message.  I have followed the instructions and checked my

I too have *suddenly* started getting those messages from ekiga, which
seems to work properly with 2 sip servers notwithstanding, but not with ekiga-net.

So far I have not investigated. I am on debian-testing (for now) and
regularly update. I assume that one of the recent updates probably to a
library is responsible. Unless I missed it, ekiga itself has not been
updated recently. Likewise my router configuration has not changed.

Checking with gconf-editor, the stun server is set to stun.ekiga.net.

The failure message from ekiga-net is "Globally not acceptable".

This may, or may not, be useful information, at least to Eugen.

ael

Re: STUN server "stun.ekiga.net" replies Blocked, external IP 127.0.0.1

mdbug

On 04/03/2015 10:10 AM, John Talbut wrote:

> I had checked and have rechecked my router and ports 3478 - 3479 are
> allowed.  Also I can successfully ping and run traceroute to 77.72.174.167.

I would suggest running a VOIP port check.
Change _registar to your sip provider in the attached script and see
what happens.

Do read third paragraph of header for needed applications.

ck_voip (9K) Download Attachment

On 03/04/15 17:08, mdbug wrote:

> On 04/03/2015 10:10 AM, John Talbut wrote:
>
>> I had checked and have rechecked my router and ports 3478 - 3479 are
>> allowed.  Also I can successfully ping and run traceroute to
>> 77.72.174.167.
>>

> I would suggest running a VOIP port check.
> Change _registar to your sip provider in the attached script and see
> what happens.
>
> Do read third paragraph of header for needed applications.

Thanks for that suggestion.  I changed _registar to "sip.ekiga.net" and
I have run the test with various results.  The first time I tried it
this morning all the LAN ports passed and all the WAN ports failed.

Subsequently when I run the test I get one or more of the LAN ports
failing, but different ones each time.

My /etc/hosts.(allow | deny) files have no entries, everything in them
is commented out.  I do not have iptables installed.  My router appears
to be set up in accordance with
wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Enable_port_forwarding_manually and has not
been changed since Ekiga was working for me.

Like ael I am on debian-testing and regularly update.

On 04/04/2015 12:15 AM, John Talbut wrote:

> On 03/04/15 17:08, mdbug wrote:
>>

>> On 04/03/2015 10:10 AM, John Talbut wrote:
>>
>>> I had checked and have rechecked my router and ports 3478 - 3479 are
>>> allowed.  Also I can successfully ping and run traceroute to
>>> 77.72.174.167.
>>>

>> I would suggest running a VOIP port check.
>> Change _registar to your sip provider in the attached script and see
>> what happens.
>>
>> Do read third paragraph of header for needed applications.
>>
> Thanks for that suggestion.  I changed _registar to "sip.ekiga.net" and
> I have run the test with various results.  The first time I tried it
> this morning all the LAN ports passed and all the WAN ports failed.

Which would suggest router was blocking.

> Subsequently when I run the test I get one or more of the LAN ports
> failing, but different ones each time.

That is odd. There is a "-w 3" argument which indicates netcat (nc)
should wait 3 seconds before timing out causing the error message.

you could change  -w 3 to  -w 5 to see if the port test start working.
If it runs more reliably, I have no idea why it takes more than three
seconds to get a connection established.

I have no clue as to how long ekiga waits before timing out.

There can be no DNS issues because script gets the ip addresses prior to
starting test. See for yourself, paste these in a terminal.

     _lan_ip=$(hostname --ip-address)
     _wan_ip=$(wget -qO - http://myip.dnsomatic.com/)

     echo "lan ip $_lan_ip"
     echo "wan ip $_wan_ip"

Test does assume ipv4 addressing.

> My /etc/hosts.(allow | deny) files have no entries, everything in them
> is commented out.  I do not have iptables installed.  My router appears
> to be set up in accordance with
> wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Enable_port_forwarding_manually and has not
> been changed since Ekiga was working for me.

The only other variable is your ISP could have updated your router's
firmware or router has been cracked and port forwarding is different.

The port tests are dead simple. nc uses source port _sport=38564, opens
LAN_ip_addy:destination_port and sends message.

At end of run, uses pkill to close all ports, then runs test again for
WAN ip address if there were no LAN failures.

On 04/04/15 15:23, mdbug wrote:

> On 04/04/2015 12:15 AM, John Talbut wrote:

>>> I would suggest running a VOIP port check.
>>> Change _registar to your sip provider in the attached script and see
>>> what happens.
>>>
>>> Do read third paragraph of header for needed applications.
>>>
>> Thanks for that suggestion.  I changed _registar to "sip.ekiga.net" and
>> I have run the test with various results.  The first time I tried it
>> this morning all the LAN ports passed and all the WAN ports failed.
>
> Which would suggest router was blocking.
>
>> Subsequently when I run the test I get one or more of the LAN ports
>> failing, but different ones each time.
>
> That is odd. There is a "-w 3" argument which indicates netcat (nc)
> should wait 3 seconds before timing out causing the error message.
>
> you could change  -w 3 to  -w 5 to see if the port test start working.
> If it runs more reliably, I have no idea why it takes more than three
> seconds to get a connection established.
>
> I have no clue as to how long ekiga waits before timing out.
>
> There can be no DNS issues because script gets the ip addresses prior to
> starting test. See for yourself, paste these in a terminal.
>
>      _lan_ip=$(hostname --ip-address)
>      _wan_ip=$(wget -qO - http://myip.dnsomatic.com/)
>
>      echo "lan ip $_lan_ip"
>      echo "wan ip $_wan_ip"
>
> Test does assume ipv4 addressing.
>

>> My /etc/hosts.(allow | deny) files have no entries, everything in them
>> is commented out.  I do not have iptables installed.  My router appears
>> to be set up in accordance with
>> wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Enable_port_forwarding_manually and has not
>> been changed since Ekiga was working for me.
>
> The only other variable is your ISP could have updated your router's
> firmware or router has been cracked and port forwarding is different.
>
> The port tests are dead simple. nc uses source port _sport=38564, opens
> LAN_ip_addy:destination_port and sends message.
>
> At end of run, uses pkill to close all ports, then runs test again for
> WAN ip address if there were no LAN failures.

I am not getting much further.  I have tried -w 5, -w 7 and even -w 10
but I still get one or more ports failing, different each time.  I
notice that when the ports pass there is a time delay but the fails come
up almost immediately.

My router is under my control (my ISP does not have access to it) and
there is no sign of it being hacked (it has a decent password).

I have been having a go with stun and I have got:

~$ stun stun.ekiga.net 0
STUN client version 0.96
running test number 0
Primary: Blocked or could not reach STUN server
Return value is 0x00001c
~$ stun stun.sipgate.net
STUN client version 0.96
Primary: Indepndent Mapping, Port Dependent Filter, preserves ports,
no hairpin
Return value is 0x000017

In other words it seems to work with stun.sipgate.net but not with
stun.ekiga.net.

Is the problem with the ekiga stun server?

On Sat, Apr 04, 2015 at 08:26:42PM +0100, John Talbut wrote:
> In other words it seems to work with stun.sipgate.net but not with
> stun.ekiga.net.
>
> Is the problem with the ekiga stun server?

I can confirm this. If I change from the ekiga stun server (I also have
an account on sipgate, so also used the sipgate stun server) the problem
goes away.

No time to look further just now...

ael

Re: STUN server "stun.ekiga.net" replies Blocked, external IP 127.0.0.1

stun.ekiga.net is an alias to stun.voipbuster.com

Perhaps they are down ?

If that's the case, I can change the alias to stun.sipgate.de

We used to have our own STUN server, but that's not the case anymore...

Le vendredi 03 avril 2015 à 17:02 +0100, ael a écrit :
On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 03:14:17PM +0100, John Talbut wrote:
> I am getting the "Ekiga did not manage to configure your network settings
> automatically" message.  I have followed the instructions and checked my

I too have *suddenly* started getting those messages from ekiga, which
seems to work properly with 2 sip servers notwithstanding, but not with ekiga-net.

So far I have not investigated. I am on debian-testing (for now) and
regularly update. I assume that one of the recent updates probably to a
library is responsible. Unless I missed it, ekiga itself has not been
updated recently. Likewise my router configuration has not changed.

Checking with gconf-editor, the stun server is set to stun.ekiga.net.

The failure message from ekiga-net is "Globally not acceptable".

This may, or may not, be useful information, at least to Eugen.

ael

Damien SANDRAS

Ekiga Project
http://www.ekiga.org

Re: STUN server "stun.ekiga.net" replies Blocked, external IP 127.0.0.1

John Talbut
It looks as if stun.sipgate.net might be a possibility from trying with
the stun command:

~$ stun stun.voipbuster.com
STUN client version 0.96
Primary: Blocked or could not reach STUN server
Return value is 0x00001c

~$ stun stun.sipgate.de
STUN client version 0.96
error was 110
stun.sipgate.de is not a valid host name

john@johnwtwind:~$ stun stun.sipgate.net

On 06/04/15 20:14, Damien Sandras wrote:

> stun.ekiga.net is an alias to stun.voipbuster.com
>
> Perhaps they are down ?
>
> If that's the case, I can change the alias to stun.sipgate.de
>
> We used to have our own STUN server, but that's not the case anymore...
>
> Le vendredi 03 avril 2015 à 17:02 +0100, ael a écrit :
>
>> On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 03:14:17PM +0100, John Talbut wrote:
>>> I am getting the "Ekiga did not manage to configure your network settings
>>> automatically" message.  I have followed the instructions and checked my
>>
>> I too have *suddenly* started getting those messages from ekiga, which
>> seems to work properly with 2 sip servers notwithstanding, but not with ekiga-net.
>>
>> So far I have not investigated. I am on debian-testing (for now) and
>> regularly update. I assume that one of the recent updates probably to a
>> library is responsible. Unless I missed it, ekiga itself has not been
>> updated recently. Likewise my router configuration has not changed.
>>
>> Checking with gconf-editor, the stun server is set to stun.ekiga.net.
>>
>> The failure message from ekiga-net is "Globally not acceptable".
>>
>> This may, or may not, be useful information, at least to Eugen.
>>
>> ael

Re: STUN server "stun.ekiga.net" replies Blocked, external IP 127.0.0.1

Damien, stun.ekiga.net is down...

On 06/04/15 21:14, Damien Sandras wrote:

> stun.ekiga.net is an alias to stun.voipbuster.com
>
> Perhaps they are down ?
>
> If that's the case, I can change the alias to stun.sipgate.de
>
> We used to have our own STUN server, but that's not the case anymore...
>
> Le vendredi 03 avril 2015 à 17:02 +0100, ael a écrit :
>
>> On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 03:14:17PM +0100, John Talbut wrote:
>>> I am getting the "Ekiga did not manage to configure your network settings
>>> automatically" message.  I have followed the instructions and checked my
>>
>> I too have *suddenly* started getting those messages from ekiga, which
>> seems to work properly with 2 sip servers notwithstanding, but not with ekiga-net.
>>
>> So far I have not investigated. I am on debian-testing (for now) and
>> regularly update. I assume that one of the recent updates probably to a
>> library is responsible. Unless I missed it, ekiga itself has not been
>> updated recently. Likewise my router configuration has not changed.
>>
>> Checking with gconf-editor, the stun server is set to stun.ekiga.net.
>>
>> The failure message from ekiga-net is "Globally not acceptable".
>>
>> This may, or may not, be useful information, at least to Eugen.
>>
>> ael

Re: STUN server "stun.ekiga.net" replies Blocked, external IP 127.0.0.1

Damien Sandras
I updated the DNS Zone to stun.sipgate.net...

Le lundi 06 avril 2015 à 22:13 +0200, Eugen Dedu a écrit :
Damien, stun.ekiga.net is down...

On 06/04/15 21:14, Damien Sandras wrote:
> stun.ekiga.net is an alias to stun.voipbuster.com
>
> Perhaps they are down ?
>
> If that's the case, I can change the alias to stun.sipgate.de
>
> We used to have our own STUN server, but that's not the case anymore...
>
> Le vendredi 03 avril 2015 à 17:02 +0100, ael a écrit :
>
>> On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 03:14:17PM +0100, John Talbut wrote:
>>> I am getting the "Ekiga did not manage to configure your network settings
>>> automatically" message.  I have followed the instructions and checked my
>>
>> I too have *suddenly* started getting those messages from ekiga, which
>> seems to work properly with 2 sip servers notwithstanding, but not with ekiga-net.
>>
>> So far I have not investigated. I am on debian-testing (for now) and
>> regularly update. I assume that one of the recent updates probably to a
>> library is responsible. Unless I missed it, ekiga itself has not been
>> updated recently. Likewise my router configuration has not changed.
>>
>> Checking with gconf-editor, the stun server is set to stun.ekiga.net.
>>
>> The failure message from ekiga-net is "Globally not acceptable".
>>
>> This may, or may not, be useful information, at least to Eugen.
>>
>> ael

Damien SANDRAS

Ekiga Project
http://www.ekiga.org