SIP Proxy

Saul A. Peebsen
I'm having trouble with ghost calls. While waiting for next version of
Ekiga which will have blacklist option I was wondering if I could
install a SIP proxy in my router to block unwanted calls. My router is
running FreeBSD, I see there is SER in ports. Will SER do what I want?

--
Cheers, Saul

Re: SIP Proxy

Eugen Dedu-2
On 08/06/16 15:08, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
> I'm having trouble with ghost calls. While waiting for next version of
> Ekiga which will have blacklist option I was wondering if I could
> install a SIP proxy in my router to block unwanted calls. My router is
> running FreeBSD, I see there is SER in ports. Will SER do what I want?

I personally do not know, sorry.

Re: SIP Proxy

Jānis Rukšāns

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 4:08 PM, Saul A. Peebsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm having trouble with ghost calls. While waiting for next version of
> Ekiga which will have blacklist option I was wondering if I could
> install a SIP proxy in my router to block unwanted calls. My router is
> running FreeBSD, I see there is SER in ports. Will SER do what I want?

It is certainly possible to configure SER (or one of its clones,
personally I'm using OpenSIPS) to filter out unwanted calls. However,
keep in mind that SER isn't the most user friendly software around,
and, unless there is some GUI I am not aware of, the learning curve is
quite steep even if you are a programmer. It is a "carrier-grade" SIP
router software after all.

Depending on what are the conditions for blocking the calls, what you
want might be easier to achieve with the built-in functionality of
your router.

Best,
Jānis

Re: SIP Proxy

Saul A. Peebsen
On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 17:09:12 +0300
Jānis Rukšāns <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 4:08 PM, Saul A. Peebsen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > I'm having trouble with ghost calls. While waiting for next version
> > of Ekiga which will have blacklist option I was wondering if I could
> > install a SIP proxy in my router to block unwanted calls. My router
> > is running FreeBSD, I see there is SER in ports. Will SER do what I
> > want?
>
> It is certainly possible to configure SER (or one of its clones,
> personally I'm using OpenSIPS) to filter out unwanted calls. However,
> keep in mind that SER isn't the most user friendly software around,
> and, unless there is some GUI I am not aware of, the learning curve is
> quite steep even if you are a programmer. It is a "carrier-grade" SIP
> router software after all.

OK, I guess it is not worth the effort then. I'm not a GUI person, but
I'm not someone who thinks ed is the greatest editor.

> Depending on what are the conditions for blocking the calls, what you
> want might be easier to achieve with the built-in functionality of
> your router.

There is no built-in functionality in my router, it is running FreeBSD
installed and configured from scratch.

--
Cheers, Saul