Registration failure

Mark Carroll
I am trying to help remotely with difficulty registering. When I log
into the user's machine with ssh -CX and try running their ekiga it
registers okay for me, but quite often the local user seems to have some
kind of transport error reported. I got them to capture a log:
http://pastebin.com/xjhJN0u0

Cheers,
Mark

Re: Registration failure

Eugen Dedu
On 05/03/14 21:25, Mark Carroll wrote:
> I am trying to help remotely with difficulty registering. When I log
> into the user's machine with ssh -CX and try running their ekiga it
> registers okay for me, but quite often the local user seems to have some
> kind of transport error reported. I got them to capture a log:
> http://pastebin.com/xjhJN0u0

You do not have Network detection enabled.  Registering to ekiga.net in
your case needs that option checked on.

Re: Registration failure

Mark Carroll
Eugen Dedu <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 05/03/14 21:25, Mark Carroll wrote:
>> I am trying to help remotely with difficulty registering. When I log
>> into the user's machine with ssh -CX and try running their ekiga it
>> registers okay for me, but quite often the local user seems to have some
>> kind of transport error reported. I got them to capture a log:
>> http://pastebin.com/xjhJN0u0
>
> You do not have Network detection enabled.  Registering to ekiga.net in
> your case needs that option checked on.

Ah, thank you. It is interesting that it sometimes works, sometimes
doesn't, with it disabled. As I recall if I turn it on it always
complains that it can't detect the network. (This is the system with
inbound 5060 blocked.) I'll experiment again with enabling it.

-- Mark

Re: Registration failure

Eugen Dedu
On 06/03/14 18:25, Mark Carroll wrote:

> Eugen Dedu <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> On 05/03/14 21:25, Mark Carroll wrote:
>>> I am trying to help remotely with difficulty registering. When I log
>>> into the user's machine with ssh -CX and try running their ekiga it
>>> registers okay for me, but quite often the local user seems to have some
>>> kind of transport error reported. I got them to capture a log:
>>> http://pastebin.com/xjhJN0u0
>>
>> You do not have Network detection enabled.  Registering to ekiga.net in
>> your case needs that option checked on.
>
> Ah, thank you. It is interesting that it sometimes works, sometimes
> doesn't, with it disabled. As I recall if I turn it on it always
> complains that it can't detect the network. (This is the system with
> inbound 5060 blocked.) I'll experiment again with enabling it.

If it complains that it cannot detect the network, you have a "difficult
to pass" network and you are on your own, i.e. sometimes it might work,
sometimes not.  I cannot help here unfortunately.

Re: Registration failure

Mark Carroll
Eugen Dedu <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 06/03/14 18:25, Mark Carroll wrote:
(snip)
>> Ah, thank you. It is interesting that it sometimes works, sometimes
>> doesn't, with it disabled. As I recall if I turn it on it always
>> complains that it can't detect the network. (This is the system with
>> inbound 5060 blocked.) I'll experiment again with enabling it.
>
> If it complains that it cannot detect the network, you have a "difficult
> to pass" network and you are on your own, i.e. sometimes it might work,
> sometimes not.  I cannot help here unfortunately.

It's a pity that having that single port blocked causes such trouble. ):
When I use netcat at both ends to test the UDP forwarding of the other
ports they all come through just fine. Thank you for looking, anyway.

Annoyingly, when the local user starts ekiga, it fails with the
transport error, but when I start it remotely over ssh -CX, it succeeds
in registering, so it feels so nearly there. The likeliest explanation
for this, perhaps, is a matter of timing. Ah well.

-- Mark