Re: Skype Video???

Jouni.Lohikoski@iki.fi
When the month changes, I try to clean mbox for archiving for
mbox-May05, so some unanswered emails have to be handled.

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 08:59:30PM +0300, Johnny Strom wrote:
> I think you have not understood that the point is that GM uses standards
> like SIP and H323 and such so that GM is compatible with other programs
> and hardware phones. It is like with an GSM phone so can you call from

I do understood and am for open standards. I try to believe in
DreamWorld, but unfortunately we do not live in it. H.323 in MS Windows
is practically dead, and propertary standards rule there in the
video phone, instant messaging and IP-phone applications.

> Phone companies do not support Skype they support SIP/H323 for the reson
> that Skype is a total vendor lockin se:

Still you can phone to normal POT lines with Skype more likely than with
OpenPhone or GM. Skype has gateways in many countries and increasing
those.

> So please do not advertise Skype, becouse of it's secret protocol nature
> so is it a danger to the future of Internet as we know it today. If all

I am not advertising, but just claiming as a fact Skype is growing fast
and is already de facto IP-phone solution for MS Windows users.
The lacking video feature in the Skype is the only backdoor for open
standard VC-systems to take over.

// jouni

Re: Skype Video???

Daniel Huhardeaux
[hidden email] a écrit :

>When the month changes, I try to clean mbox for archiving for
>mbox-May05, so some unanswered emails have to be handled.
>
>On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 08:59:30PM +0300, Johnny Strom wrote:
>

>>I think you have not understood that the point is that GM uses standards
>>like SIP and H323 and such so that GM is compatible with other programs
>>and hardware phones. It is like with an GSM phone so can you call from
>>

>I do understood and am for open standards. I try to believe in
>DreamWorld, but unfortunately we do not live in it. H.323 in MS Windows
>is practically dead, and propertary standards rule there in the
>video phone, instant messaging and IP-phone applications.

That MS Windows don't include an H323 client doesn't mean that H323 is
dead ;-)

>>Phone companies do not support Skype they support SIP/H323 for the reson
>>that Skype is a total vendor lockin se:
>>

>Still you can phone to normal POT lines with Skype more likely than with
>OpenPhone or GM. Skype has gateways in many countries and increasing
>those.

Skype has gateways in countries and has to install them, as GM,
OpenPhone, Myphone, ... can just use one of the existing gateways to
access all the world. It's a big difference.

Why should I use Skype as GM and friends offer same (better?) without
being proprietary and where there is competition? And this is even more
true with SIP included in GM.

Did you try FreeWorldDialup?

>>So please do not advertise Skype, becouse of it's secret protocol nature
>>so is it a danger to the future of Internet as we know it today. If all
>>

>I am not advertising, but just claiming as a fact Skype is growing fast
>and is already de facto IP-phone solution for MS Windows users.

What about Messenger? Skype is not a de facto IP-phone solution. My
customers are with X-lite,GM,Diax, or whatever you want + gateway(s) and
there are de facto happy ;-) Please, take a look at MozPhone (plugin for
firefox to be able to call from within): I'm sure lots of people if they
will know his existance will remove Skype and use it :-)

>The lacking video feature in the Skype is the only backdoor for open
>standard VC-systems to take over.

Don't forget that if you have broadband, lots of other users don't have.
Just see the g711 matter, so imagine if you add video! I'm not really
sure that this is a needed feature for most of the today users. They
will more ask for a better audio quality at first.
--
Daniel

Re: Skype Video???

David Ballester - Kern Pharma

[hidden email] escribió el 01/06/2005 11:42:40:

> I am not advertising, but just claiming as a fact Skype is growing fast
> and is already de facto IP-phone solution for MS Windows users.
> The lacking video feature in the Skype is the only backdoor for open
> standard VC-systems to take over.
>

> // jouni

Seen in a digital newspaper today, a company has developed a plugin to make
videconference using skype

FYI

http://217.15.33.218/index.php?id=78

Note: Anybody has tried to talk with Skype Co. to know what is his position
?

Regards

David Ballester Montolio
GNU/Linux user #206389
GNU/Linux - Unices Sysadmin
Oracle DBA
SAP-BC
Kern Pharma - Grupo Indukern
www.kernpharma.com

skype: david.ballester

Re: Skype Video???

Julien PUYDT
[hidden email] a écrit :
> I do understood and am for open standards. I try to believe in
> DreamWorld, but unfortunately we do not live in it. H.323 in MS Windows
> is practically dead, and propertary standards rule there in the
> video phone, instant messaging and IP-phone applications.

As far as I know, jabber isn't proprietary and is far from being dead
for instant messaging ; SIP isn't proprietary and is far from being dead
for videophone and ip-phone.

>>Phone companies do not support Skype they support SIP/H323 for the reson
>>that Skype is a total vendor lockin se:
>

> Still you can phone to normal POT lines with Skype more likely than with
> OpenPhone or GM. Skype has gateways in many countries and increasing
> those.

Skype is just one provider. And I think they intend to go the SIP route...

>>So please do not advertise Skype, becouse of it's secret protocol nature
>>so is it a danger to the future of Internet as we know it today. If all
>

> I am not advertising, but just claiming as a fact Skype is growing fast
> and is already de facto IP-phone solution for MS Windows users.
> The lacking video feature in the Skype is the only backdoor for open
> standard VC-systems to take over.

I claim you bought the hype.

Snark on #gnomemeeting

Re: Skype Video???

Conrad Beckert
Am Mittwoch, 1. Juni 2005 09:42 schrieb [hidden email]:
> I am not advertising, but just claiming as a fact Skype is growing fast
> and is already de facto IP-phone solution for MS Windows users.
> The lacking video feature in the Skype is the only backdoor for open
> standard VC-systems to take over.
Hi Jouni,

why do I spontaneously have to think in the "billions of flies that can't be
wrong" :-) ?

In the consumer market many things started as proprietary solutions that gave
way to open standards on the internet.

Remember CompuServe? Remember mail addresses like 100637,2662? All the
proprietary gateways to www (AOL, T-Online here in Germany)

They all have something in common: They're gone. http, pop3, etc. prevail- And
so will standard VoIP ans instant messenger protocols. That's the nature of
the matter in a networked world where Anne calls Bert without having to know
which model of computer, internet provider and software Bert has.

Anyone who is arguing like you is - unknowingly - arguing for a world where
you can have only one company controlling everything. This is a world of no
choice for consumers and mediocre and overprized products.

H323 would be gone for good. SIP is the coming standard. At least over, here
you can subscribe to a variety of local and global SIP based VoIP services.
(I'd be surprised if Finland was different)

Conrad
(who is using skype himself - but only for one special purpose)
Still looking for a decent SIP client for windows which has video. Portrait
isn't.