New to SIP, VoIP and Ekiga

Saul A. Peebsen
I installed Ekiga. I forwarded ports 5000-5100 to my desktop.
Everything was fine until I started receiving ghost calls from ID 1000,
2002, so on, bogus ones. It went so bad I had to terminate Ekiga, my PC
was ringing all the time.

What can be done to block these ghost calls?

--
Cheers, Saul

Re: New to SIP, VoIP and Ekiga

Eugen Dedu-2
On 28/05/16 18:39, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
> I installed Ekiga. I forwarded ports 5000-5100 to my desktop.
> Everything was fine until I started receiving ghost calls from ID 1000,
> 2002, so on, bogus ones. It went so bad I had to terminate Ekiga, my PC
> was ringing all the time.

Did this happen only once, or does it always happen?

When did you install Ekiga?  Yesterday, one week ago, one month ago...?

> What can be done to block these ghost calls?

Re: New to SIP, VoIP and Ekiga

Saul A. Peebsen
On Sat, 28 May 2016 18:49:30 +0200
Eugen Dedu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 28/05/16 18:39, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
> > I installed Ekiga. I forwarded ports 5000-5100 to my desktop.
> > Everything was fine until I started receiving ghost calls from ID
> > 1000, 2002, so on, bogus ones. It went so bad I had to terminate
> > Ekiga, my PC was ringing all the time.
>
> Did this happen only once, or does it always happen?

It happens every time I run Ekiga, won't take long before ghost calls
start.

> When did you install Ekiga?  Yesterday, one week ago, one month
> ago...?

I installed Ekiga three days ago, first night was quiet. Went to work,
got back home, heard the PC ringing and lots of calls from ID 1000 in
the call log. Calls haven't stopped since.

--
Cheers, Saul

Re: New to SIP, VoIP and Ekiga

Eugen Dedu-2
On 28/05/16 21:54, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:

> On Sat, 28 May 2016 18:49:30 +0200
> Eugen Dedu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 28/05/16 18:39, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
>>> I installed Ekiga. I forwarded ports 5000-5100 to my desktop.
>>> Everything was fine until I started receiving ghost calls from ID
>>> 1000, 2002, so on, bogus ones. It went so bad I had to terminate
>>> Ekiga, my PC was ringing all the time.
>>
>> Did this happen only once, or does it always happen?
>
> It happens every time I run Ekiga, won't take long before ghost calls
> start.
>
>> When did you install Ekiga?  Yesterday, one week ago, one month
>> ago...?
>
> I installed Ekiga three days ago, first night was quiet. Went to work,
> got back home, heard the PC ringing and lots of calls from ID 1000 in
> the call log. Calls haven't stopped since.

Ok, I understand.  Could you sent us or me the -d 4 log (compressed with
zip for ex.) to see where do these calls come from?  See
http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Debugging_Ekiga#How_to_get_a_debug_output
for how to get it.

Re: New to SIP, VoIP and Ekiga

Saul A. Peebsen
On Sat, 28 May 2016 22:21:02 +0200
Eugen Dedu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, I understand.  Could you sent us or me the -d 4 log (compressed
> with zip for ex.) to see where do these calls come from?  See
> http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Debugging_Ekiga#How_to_get_a_debug_output
> for how to get it.

OK, I tried and ended up with empty log. I'm running on Gentoo. Do I
need to recompile Ekiga with -g to get debug output?

--
Cheers, Saul

Re: New to SIP, VoIP and Ekiga

Eugen Dedu-2
On 29/05/16 01:03, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:

> On Sat, 28 May 2016 22:21:02 +0200
> Eugen Dedu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ok, I understand.  Could you sent us or me the -d 4 log (compressed
>> with zip for ex.) to see where do these calls come from?  See
>> http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Debugging_Ekiga#How_to_get_a_debug_output
>> for how to get it.
>
> OK, I tried and ended up with empty log. I'm running on Gentoo. Do I
> need to recompile Ekiga with -g to get debug output?

No.

Just execute in a terminal:
ekiga -d 4 2>xyz
and send me the xyz file.

Re: New to SIP, VoIP and Ekiga

Saul A. Peebsen
On Sun, 29 May 2016 08:28:02 +0200
Eugen Dedu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29/05/16 01:03, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
> > On Sat, 28 May 2016 22:21:02 +0200
> > Eugen Dedu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Ok, I understand.  Could you sent us or me the -d 4 log (compressed
> >> with zip for ex.) to see where do these calls come from?  See
> >> http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Debugging_Ekiga#How_to_get_a_debug_output
> >> for how to get it.
> >
> > OK, I tried and ended up with empty log. I'm running on Gentoo. Do I
> > need to recompile Ekiga with -g to get debug output?
>
> No.
>
> Just execute in a terminal:
> ekiga -d 4 2>xyz
> and send me the xyz file.

As I said, nothing to send, the file xyz is 0 bytes. I'm starting to
think my setup produces crippled ekiga executable.

https://bpaste.net/show/8e370baa4b5a

This is the output of emerge --info ekiga.

--
Cheers, Saul

Re: New to SIP, VoIP and Ekiga

Saul A. Peebsen
On Sun, 29 May 2016 08:28:02 +0200
Eugen Dedu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just execute in a terminal:
> ekiga -d 4 2>xyz
> and send me the xyz file.

OK, I have Lubuntu installed in a virtual machine. I used it to get
the log. Still don't know why my Gentoo Ekiga is not producing any
output with -d 4.

I put it in my router, it can be downloaded here:

http://asclinux.com:8000/tmp/ekiga_log.gz

--
Cheers, Saul

Re: New to SIP, VoIP and Ekiga

Eugen Dedu-2
On 30/05/16 04:22, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:

> On Sun, 29 May 2016 08:28:02 +0200
> Eugen Dedu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Just execute in a terminal:
>> ekiga -d 4 2>xyz
>> and send me the xyz file.
>
> OK, I have Lubuntu installed in a virtual machine. I used it to get
> the log. Still don't know why my Gentoo Ekiga is not producing any
> output with -d 4.
>
> I put it in my router, it can be downloaded here:
>
> http://asclinux.com:8000/tmp/ekiga_log.gz

I see that you receive many calls from 50.30.37.186, which is
usloft3624.dedicatedpanel.com:

2016/05/29 20:05:01.885 1:53:08.449 Opal Liste...0xada7db40 SIP PDU
received:
rem=udp$50.30.37.186:5074,local=udp$209.124.244.108:5060,if=192.168.2.25%eth0

This seems to me effectively as ghost calls.  Unfortunately, you cannot
do anything right now.  The next release of Ekiga will have a black list
where you can block them.

Re: New to SIP, VoIP and Ekiga

Saul A. Peebsen
On Mon, 30 May 2016 10:32:00 +0200
Eugen Dedu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 30/05/16 04:22, Saul A. Peebsen wrote:
> > On Sun, 29 May 2016 08:28:02 +0200
> > Eugen Dedu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Just execute in a terminal:
> >> ekiga -d 4 2>xyz
> >> and send me the xyz file.
> >
> > OK, I have Lubuntu installed in a virtual machine. I used it to get
> > the log. Still don't know why my Gentoo Ekiga is not producing any
> > output with -d 4.
> >
> > I put it in my router, it can be downloaded here:
> >
> > http://asclinux.com:8000/tmp/ekiga_log.gz
>
> I see that you receive many calls from 50.30.37.186, which is
> usloft3624.dedicatedpanel.com:
>
> 2016/05/29 20:05:01.885 1:53:08.449 Opal
> Liste...0xada7db40 SIP PDU received:
> rem=udp$50.30.37.186:5074,local=udp$209.124.244.108:5060,if=192.168.2.25%eth0
>
> This seems to me effectively as ghost calls.  Unfortunately, you
> cannot do anything right now.  The next release of Ekiga will have a
> black list where you can block them.

OK, thanks for looking into this. Will wait.

--
Cheers, Saul

Re: New to SIP, VoIP and Ekiga

James Cloos
Saul,

You can block those on you router.

If you only want to accept sip calls from a certain set of servers, such
as sip.ekiga.net and the like, block incoming connections to port 5060
but whitelist the set you want.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <[hidden email]>         OpenPGP: 0x997A9F17ED7DAEA6