New name discussion

1234

New name discussion

Damien Sandras
Hello to all,

Don't hesitate to use my blog (blog.gnomemeeting.net) to post new ideas.
People have posted several new ideas.

PS: I need to moderate the comments, so please be patient.
--
 _      Damien Sandras
(o-

ideas..

Antonello Lobianco
..just because it seems "time" of brainstorming...

There is one think I'm very unhappy with ALL the VoiP programs and
solutions around: the "name" u get when u register is not yours, it is
dependent with the program or the network you use.. that's true also for
SIP.
I'd so much like something that the only thing you have to print in your
business card is your web-site or your email, and people can Voip you
using that name..

Antonello

Re: ideas..

Amos Shapira
On 12/5/05, Antonello Lobianco <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ..just because it seems "time" of brainstorming...
>
> There is one think I'm very unhappy with ALL the VoiP programs and
> solutions around: the "name" u get when u register is not yours, it is
> dependent with the program or the network you use.. that's true also for
> SIP.
> I'd so much like something that the only thing you have to print in your
> business card is your web-site or your email, and people can Voip you
> using that name..

Isn't this already provided with public directory services (I don't
have personal
experience with SIP yet, but I think GM's docs point to such a public service).

And while we are at it (feature requests) - a way to use GM without having to
tinker with the firewall, and without having to understand anything except for
"pick a contact and press 'call'", will be a killer addition. IMHO
these two points
alone made Skype so successful.

(Thinking about this again - Skype is the current "standard" in terms of "what
users expect from VoIP" and competing with its ease of use seems to me to be
a must for anything else in the market).

Cheers,

--Amos
--
"[a grizzly] can tear through a tree like a Jewish
mother through self-esteem."           - The Simpsons

Re: ideas..

Daniel Huhardeaux
Antonello Lobianco a écrit :

>..just because it seems "time" of brainstorming...
>
>There is one think I'm very unhappy with ALL the VoiP programs and
>solutions around: the "name" u get when u register is not yours, it is
>dependent with the program or the network you use.. that's true also for
>SIP.
>I'd so much like something that the only thing you have to print in your
>business card is your web-site or your email, and people can Voip you
>using that name..

What you describe is called ENUM: from your POTS number people know your
email, SIP number, address, aso.

Anyway, the solution for you is:

1. if you have a fixed public address, redirect port 5060 to your GM and
thats done: everybody calling in SIP at <prefix-doesn't-matter>@<yourIP>
will reach you.

2. if you don't have public address, register with a DYNDNS and do the
same that above. In this case your address will be
<prefix-doesn't-matter>@<your-DYNDNS-FQDN>

Another thing: it's better to use only numerical caracters: on a phone,
you can't (or it's so complicate) have alphabetical caracters.
--
Daniel

Re: ideas..

JGJones
Since I use GnomeMeeting primarily for videocalls...it's main weakness
as you probably know is the fact that OpenH323 only use the H261 encoder.

Obviously it'll be lovely if they had a H264 encoder. Alas, we don't.

I was wondernig since I came across the x264 project here -
http://developers.videolan.org/x264.html

I release that it's still very much in very early days but for future
use, should it improve, is there any arguement against using x264? Such
as patents? They're reverse-engineering the encoder so that would make
it legal doesn't it?

JGJones

Y Ddraig Goch a ddyry Gychwyn
Cymru am byth

BSL Video-Group:

Deaf-UK Technology Wiki
http://bslvgroup.mrdini.com/wiki/Main_Page

There are 10 kinds of people in this world: 1) nerds and 2) normals.

Re: ideas..

Damien Sandras
Le mercredi 07 d?cembre 2005 ? 00:07 +0000, JGJones a ?crit :

> Since I use GnomeMeeting primarily for videocalls...it's main weakness
> as you probably know is the fact that OpenH323 only use the H261 encoder.
>
> Obviously it'll be lovely if they had a H264 encoder. Alas, we don't.
>
> I was wondernig since I came across the x264 project here -
> http://developers.videolan.org/x264.html
>
> I release that it's still very much in very early days but for future
> use, should it improve, is there any arguement against using x264? Such
> as patents? They're reverse-engineering the encoder so that would make
> it legal doesn't it?

Patents are not on the code, they are on the technics, so it is
certainly not legal, at least in the US. In Europe, it is still a bit
"vague".

However, there is a licensing problem. x264 is GPL, and OPAL/OPENH323
are MPL. GPL and MPL are incompatible. If we make a plugin, then it
won't solve the problem following Mr Stallman because the program is
"linked" in memory.

x264 should add an exception clause for OpenH323/OPAL in their license.
--
 _      Damien Sandras
(o-
//\     GnomeMeeting: http://www.gnomemeeting.org/
v_/_    FOSDEM 2006 : http://www.fosdem.org
        SIP Phone   : sip:[hidden email]
                      sip:[hidden email]

Re: ideas..

Johnny Strom
Damien Sandras wrote:

> Le mercredi 07 d?cembre 2005 ? 00:07 +0000, JGJones a ?crit :
>
>>Since I use GnomeMeeting primarily for videocalls...it's main weakness
>>as you probably know is the fact that OpenH323 only use the H261 encoder.
>>
>>Obviously it'll be lovely if they had a H264 encoder. Alas, we don't.
>>
>>I was wondernig since I came across the x264 project here -
>>http://developers.videolan.org/x264.html
>>
>>I release that it's still very much in very early days but for future
>>use, should it improve, is there any arguement against using x264? Such
>>as patents? They're reverse-engineering the encoder so that would make
>>it legal doesn't it?
>>

> Patents are not on the code, they are on the technics, so it is
> certainly not legal, at least in the US. In Europe, it is still a bit
> "vague".
>
> However, there is a licensing problem. x264 is GPL, and OPAL/OPENH323
> are MPL. GPL and MPL are incompatible. If we make a plugin, then it
> won't solve the problem following Mr Stallman because the program is
> "linked" in memory.

Btw why is opal/openh32 MPL?

Seen this:
http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/gpl-compatible.html

Cheers Johnny

> x264 should add an exception clause for OpenH323/OPAL in their license.

Re: ideas..

Damien Sandras
Le mercredi 07 d?cembre 2005 ? 11:42 +0200, Johnny Strom a ?crit :

> Damien Sandras wrote:
> > Le mercredi 07 d?cembre 2005 ? 00:07 +0000, JGJones a ?crit :
> >
> >>Since I use GnomeMeeting primarily for videocalls...it's main weakness
> >>as you probably know is the fact that OpenH323 only use the H261 encoder.
> >>
> >>Obviously it'll be lovely if they had a H264 encoder. Alas, we don't.
> >>
> >>I was wondernig since I came across the x264 project here -
> >>http://developers.videolan.org/x264.html
> >>
> >>I release that it's still very much in very early days but for future
> >>use, should it improve, is there any arguement against using x264? Such
> >>as patents? They're reverse-engineering the encoder so that would make
> >>it legal doesn't it?
> >>

> > Patents are not on the code, they are on the technics, so it is
> > certainly not legal, at least in the US. In Europe, it is still a bit
> > "vague".
> >
> > However, there is a licensing problem. x264 is GPL, and OPAL/OPENH323
> > are MPL. GPL and MPL are incompatible. If we make a plugin, then it
> > won't solve the problem following Mr Stallman because the program is
> > "linked" in memory.
>
> Btw why is opal/openh32 MPL?
>
> Seen this:
> http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/gpl-compatible.html

For historical reasons I think. However, the license can not be changed
anymore, because it would mean to contact all contributors.

Damien Sandras wrote:

> Le mercredi 07 d?cembre 2005 ? 11:42 +0200, Johnny Strom a ?crit :
>
>>Damien Sandras wrote:
>>
>>>Le mercredi 07 d?cembre 2005 ? 00:07 +0000, JGJones a ?crit :

>>>Patents are not on the code, they are on the technics, so it is
>>>certainly not legal, at least in the US. In Europe, it is still a bit
>>>"vague".
>>>
>>>However, there is a licensing problem. x264 is GPL, and OPAL/OPENH323
>>>are MPL. GPL and MPL are incompatible. If we make a plugin, then it
>>>won't solve the problem following Mr Stallman because the program is
>>>"linked" in memory.
>>
>>Btw why is opal/openh32 MPL?
>>
>>Seen this:
>>http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/gpl-compatible.html
>>

> For historical reasons I think. However, the license can not be changed
> anymore, because it would mean to contact all contributors.

Yes I know...

Re: ideas..

Craig Southeren
On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 11:42:16 +0200
Johnny Strom <[hidden email]> wrote:

..deleted

> > However, there is a licensing problem. x264 is GPL, and OPAL/OPENH323
> > are MPL. GPL and MPL are incompatible. If we make a plugin, then it
> > won't solve the problem following Mr Stallman because the program is
> > "linked" in memory.

The issue of x264 was discussed extensively on the OpenH323 list
recently. See

http://www.openh323.org/pipermail/openh323/Week-of-Mon-20051121/075684.html

> Btw why is opal/openh32 MPL?

It uses the MPL because Robert and I chose that license 7 years ago, and
I still think it was the right decision

> Seen this:
> http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/gpl-compatible.html

OpenH323 is MPL and it cannot be changed. No amount of GPL propaganda
will change that.

..deleted

> > x264 should add an exception clause for OpenH323/OPAL in their license.

You need to talk to the x264 project about that, but reports from other
users are that they are not even interested in converting from GPL to
LGPL - I can't see them adding an exception for OpenH323.

But don't let me stop you from asking them :)

   Craig

 Craig Southeren          Post Increment – VoIP Consulting and Software
 [hidden email]                   www.postincrement.com.au

 Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
 Fax:    +61 243673140      MSN: [hidden email]
 Mobile: +61 417231046

 "It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile.
  Be yourself, no matter what they say."   Sting

Re: ideas..

JGJones
The reason I asked about x264 was if you go to http://www.bslvrs.co.uk -
you will see RNID SignTalk - which is a video based relay centre for
sign language use in UK (there are currently 3 systems including that one).

However they all require the use of at minimum H.263 video codec (264 is
better, 263 is accepted due to use of the DLink DVC-1000 videophone
which use H.263 for video.

I sadly cannot use GnomeMeeting since the H.261 does not provide a good
enough video for the interpreter to understand me during a relay
session. Currently I am using the vPoint HD client from vcon - which is
a Windows only application using H.264 video...just when I get my camera
fixed so that I can use GnomeMeeting I once again find I still have to
reboot to Windows...gahh! :)

I shall email x264 developers themselves and ask pretty please then
since I really do not want to keep on rebooting to Windows just for
video calls (or the expense of getting another computer! I'm saving for
a Powerbook atm for my wife)

Having dabbled in the video relay market - I was invloved in the
building of one call centre using Cisco Call Manager - I know that this
is a potentially huge market - there is a vast number of users in USA
already, and while the UK's project is first for Europe as far as I
know, but the company whom I worked for using Cisco Call Manager have
plans to expand their service by setting up same thing across Europe.

This will potentially have access to hundred of thousands if not million
of sign language users across Europe. I believe that with those people
making heavy use of video calls - which will then do the same to their
hearing friends...those hearing people (ie not deaf) might then
appericate using video phone...it's possible that use of videophone will
increase there as well...although that's an unknown!

Thus for me, it's too important to not ignore this video call issues :)

Cheers

Craig Southeren wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 11:42:16 +0200
> Johnny Strom <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> ..deleted
>

>>>However, there is a licensing problem. x264 is GPL, and OPAL/OPENH323
>>>are MPL. GPL and MPL are incompatible. If we make a plugin, then it
>>>won't solve the problem following Mr Stallman because the program is
>>>"linked" in memory.
>

> The issue of x264 was discussed extensively on the OpenH323 list
> recently. See
>
> http://www.openh323.org/pipermail/openh323/Week-of-Mon-20051121/075684.html
>

>>Btw why is opal/openh32 MPL?
>

> It uses the MPL because Robert and I chose that license 7 years ago, and
> I still think it was the right decision
>

>>Seen this:
>>http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/gpl-compatible.html
>

> OpenH323 is MPL and it cannot be changed. No amount of GPL propaganda
> will change that.
>
> ..deleted
>

>>>x264 should add an exception clause for OpenH323/OPAL in their license.
>

> You need to talk to the x264 project about that, but reports from other
> users are that they are not even interested in converting from GPL to
> LGPL - I can't see them adding an exception for OpenH323.
>
> But don't let me stop you from asking them :)
>
>    Craig

>  Craig Southeren          Post Increment ? VoIP Consulting and Software
>  [hidden email]                   www.postincrement.com.au
>
>  Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
>  Fax:    +61 243673140      MSN: [hidden email]
>  Mobile: +61 417231046
>
>  "It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile.
>   Be yourself, no matter what they say."   Sting

Re: ideas..

Damien Sandras
Le mercredi 07 d?cembre 2005 ? 11:30 +0000, JGJones a ?crit :

> The reason I asked about x264 was if you go to http://www.bslvrs.co.uk -
> you will see RNID SignTalk - which is a video based relay centre for
> sign language use in UK (there are currently 3 systems including that one).
>
> However they all require the use of at minimum H.263 video codec (264 is
> better, 263 is accepted due to use of the DLink DVC-1000 videophone
> which use H.263 for video.
>
> I sadly cannot use GnomeMeeting since the H.261 does not provide a good
> enough video for the interpreter to understand me during a relay
> session. Currently I am using the vPoint HD client from vcon - which is
> a Windows only application using H.264 video...just when I get my camera
> fixed so that I can use GnomeMeeting I once again find I still have to
> reboot to Windows...gahh! :)
>
> I shall email x264 developers themselves and ask pretty please then
> since I really do not want to keep on rebooting to Windows just for
> video calls (or the expense of getting another computer! I'm saving for
> a Powerbook atm for my wife)
>
> Having dabbled in the video relay market - I was invloved in the
> building of one call centre using Cisco Call Manager - I know that this
> is a potentially huge market - there is a vast number of users in USA
> already, and while the UK's project is first for Europe as far as I
> know, but the company whom I worked for using Cisco Call Manager have
> plans to expand their service by setting up same thing across Europe.
>
> This will potentially have access to hundred of thousands if not million
> of sign language users across Europe. I believe that with those people
> making heavy use of video calls - which will then do the same to their
> hearing friends...those hearing people (ie not deaf) might then
> appericate using video phone...it's possible that use of videophone will
> increase there as well...although that's an unknown!
>
> Thus for me, it's too important to not ignore this video call issues :)

Don't hesitate to talk them about that and report back their answer
here. I will email too if they reject the proposition...
--
 _      Damien Sandras
(o-
//\     GnomeMeeting: http://www.gnomemeeting.org/
v_/_    FOSDEM 2006 : http://www.fosdem.org
        SIP Phone   : sip:[hidden email]
                      sip:[hidden email]

Better Video Codecs - was Re: ideas..

Conrad Beckert-2
Hi Damien,

> Patents are not on the code, they are on the technics, so it is certainly not legal,
> at least in the US. In Europe, it is still a bit "vague".
Fortunately, the EU-parliament rejected the proposal for computer implemented
inventions in July 2005. That happened after long struggle and intense
lobbying by civil liberty groups such as e.g the http://www.ffii.org/ To keep
our freedom, we have to use it to show that it is valuable :-) Otherwise we
will loose it sooner or later.

The codec issue is a rather big one when it comes to videoconferencing, since
1- Image quality H.261 is inferior to what the usual suspects the e.g.
Messengers have to offer.
2- most SIP User Agents like e.g. xten, wengophone or the Java
sip-communicatior don't support H.261 anymore - so you can't issue a video
call from/to these clients using Gnomemeeting
 - the same goes for hardware phones / conference systems
3- as someone on this mailing list mentioned and I was told by a person
related to deaf/hearing impaired people: it's hard to "talk" in sign language
over it (but this is actually a nice application for video telephony.)

> However, there is a licensing problem. x264 is GPL, and OPAL/OPENH323 ...
> x264 should add an exception clause for OpenH323/OPAL in their license.
Well, ffmpeg is LGPL which means that you can link it as a library. Check out
ther legal pages http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/legal.php

Having compiled ffmpeg a while ago, I remember, that there is a "GPL" compile
option which means, that it disables all codecs which are non LGPL compatiple.
I wonder what's the case with H.263 (which would be a quantum leap to have it-
though it's not 264)

I also wonder how the Wengo guys and java sip-communicator folks solved their
legal problems concerning 263. (these are open source projects as well - some
GPL)

Another idea, which would solve point 1 and 3 but not 2 above: use Theora.
Check this out: http://www.tipic.com/tipicim - it's an open source Video
Jabber messenger using Theora as video codec. Perhaps opal/Gnomemeeting could
benefit. This would do to video what Speex did for audio - a decent free
codec.

Greetings
Conrad

> --
>  _      Damien Sandras
> (o-
> //     GnomeMeeting: http://www.gnomemeeting.org/
> v_/_    FOSDEM 2006 : http://www.fosdem.org
>         SIP Phone   : sip:[hidden email]
>                       sip:[hidden email]

Re: Better Video Codecs - was Re: ideas..

> Well, ffmpeg is LGPL which means that you can link it as a library. Check out
> ther legal pages http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/legal.php

Indeed, and OpenH323 has support for H.263 through FFMPEG.

> Having compiled ffmpeg a while ago, I remember, that there is a "GPL" compile
> option which means, that it disables all codecs which are non LGPL compatiple.
> I wonder what's the case with H.263 (which would be a quantum leap to have it-
> though it's not 264)
>
> I also wonder how the Wengo guys and java sip-communicator folks solved their
> legal problems concerning 263. (these are open source projects as well - some
> GPL)

I wonder. In Europe, you are relatively safe. The best would be to have
support for video plugins, which means european could use the plugin and
americans would have to pay for it, or not use it at all.

> Another idea, which would solve point 1 and 3 but not 2 above: use Theora.
> Check this out: http://www.tipic.com/tipicim - it's an open source Video
> Jabber messenger using Theora as video codec. Perhaps opal/Gnomemeeting could
> benefit. This would do to video what Speex did for audio - a decent free
> codec.
>

> Greetings
> Conrad
>

> > --
> >  _      Damien Sandras
> > (o-
> > //     GnomeMeeting: http://www.gnomemeeting.org/
> > v_/_    FOSDEM 2006 : http://www.fosdem.org
> >         SIP Phone   : sip:[hidden email]
> >                       sip:[hidden email]

 _      Damien Sandras
(o-
//\     GnomeMeeting: http://www.gnomemeeting.org/
v_/_    FOSDEM 2006 : http://www.fosdem.org
        SIP Phone   : sip:[hidden email]
                      sip:[hidden email]

Re: Better Video Codecs - was Re: ideas..

Damien Sandras
Le jeudi 08 d?cembre 2005 ? 16:05 +0100, Damien Sandras a ?crit :

> > Another idea, which would solve point 1 and 3 but not 2 above: use Theora.
> > Check this out: http://www.tipic.com/tipicim - it's an open source Video
> > Jabber messenger using Theora as video codec. Perhaps opal/Gnomemeeting could
> > benefit. This would do to video what Speex did for audio - a decent free
> > codec.

I was worried by this one when it was announced. They tell it is using
Open Source Technology, but the Press Release was mentioning the product
was Open Source. Is that the case or some marketing "shit" ? ;)
--
 _      Damien Sandras
(o-
//\     GnomeMeeting: http://www.gnomemeeting.org/
v_/_    FOSDEM 2006 : http://www.fosdem.org
        SIP Phone   : sip:[hidden email]
                      sip:[hidden email]

Re: Better Video Codecs - was Re: ideas..

JGJones
"Indeed, and OpenH323 has support for H.263 through FFMPEG."

I'm a little confused. One of the main videoconf client I make calls to
are DLink DVC-1000.

They only support H.263 for video's (not H.261 or H.264)

Yet everytime I call them I am unable to see their video, nor they are
able to see my video because they're using H.263 and GnomeMeeting (via
OpenH323 doesn't have H.263 - as far as I can see from OpenH323's page
is that they only do H.261 and no higher for video?

If OpenH323 can encode H.263 then how can I setup GnomeMeeting so taht I
can send H.263 video's? This is the bare minimum I need.

Thanks

Damien Sandras wrote:

> Hi,
>

>>Well, ffmpeg is LGPL which means that you can link it as a library. Check out
>>ther legal pages http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/legal.php
>>

> Indeed, and OpenH323 has support for H.263 through FFMPEG.
>

>>Having compiled ffmpeg a while ago, I remember, that there is a "GPL" compile
>>option which means, that it disables all codecs which are non LGPL compatiple.
>>I wonder what's the case with H.263 (which would be a quantum leap to have it-
>>though it's not 264)
>>
>>I also wonder how the Wengo guys and java sip-communicator folks solved their
>>legal problems concerning 263. (these are open source projects as well - some
>>GPL)
>>

> I wonder. In Europe, you are relatively safe. The best would be to have
> support for video plugins, which means european could use the plugin and
> americans would have to pay for it, or not use it at all.
>

>>Another idea, which would solve point 1 and 3 but not 2 above: use Theora.
>>Check this out: http://www.tipic.com/tipicim - it's an open source Video
>>Jabber messenger using Theora as video codec. Perhaps opal/Gnomemeeting could
>>benefit. This would do to video what Speex did for audio - a decent free
>>codec.
>>

>>Greetings
>>Conrad
>>

>>>--
>>> _      Damien Sandras
>>>(o-
>>>//     GnomeMeeting: http://www.gnomemeeting.org/
>>>v_/_    FOSDEM 2006 : http://www.fosdem.org
>>>        SIP Phone   : sip:[hidden email]
>>>                      sip:[hidden email]

Re: Better Video Codecs - was Re: ideas..

Damien Sandras
Le jeudi 08 d?cembre 2005 ? 15:47 +0000, JGJones a ?crit :

> "Indeed, and OpenH323 has support for H.263 through FFMPEG."
>
> I'm a little confused. One of the main videoconf client I make calls to
> are DLink DVC-1000.
>
> They only support H.263 for video's (not H.261 or H.264)
>
> Yet everytime I call them I am unable to see their video, nor they are
> able to see my video because they're using H.263 and GnomeMeeting (via
> OpenH323 doesn't have H.263 - as far as I can see from OpenH323's page
> is that they only do H.261 and no higher for video?

There is a patch for H.263. However, I have never integrated the patch
in GnomeMeeting because of the patents issue.

However, if you are ready to compile GnomeMeeting/PWLIB/OPAL yourself,
I'm ready to help you doing it with H.263....

--
 _      Damien Sandras
(o-
//\     GnomeMeeting: http://www.gnomemeeting.org/
v_/_    FOSDEM 2006 : http://www.fosdem.org
        SIP Phone   : sip:[hidden email]
                      sip:[hidden email]

Tipic Source - was Re: Better Video Codecs - was Re: ideas..

Conrad Beckert-2
> I was worried by this one when it was announced. They tell it is using
> Open Source Technology, but the Press Release was mentioning the product
> was Open Source. Is that the case or some marketing "shit" ? ;)
Well, as an optimist, in case of doubt, I'd consider it as chocolade(*) :-)
Check this out:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=149955&package_id=167567
It is a "hacked" iax client with Theora. Headers say it's LGPL. Hope it
doesn't go away.

Conrad

(*) I'm realist too - so I would sniff first.

> --
>  _      Damien Sandras
> (o-
> //     GnomeMeeting: http://www.gnomemeeting.org/
> v_/_    FOSDEM 2006 : http://www.fosdem.org
>         SIP Phone   : sip:[hidden email]
>                       sip:[hidden email]

Re: Better Video Codecs - was Re: ideas..

JGJones
eek! :)

I'm not too worried about the patent issues myself so I can certainly
attempt to compile it myself.

Teach me the Dark Side, Master!

Damien Sandras wrote:

> Le jeudi 08 d?cembre 2005 ? 15:47 +0000, JGJones a ?crit :
>
>>"Indeed, and OpenH323 has support for H.263 through FFMPEG."
>>
>>I'm a little confused. One of the main videoconf client I make calls to
>>are DLink DVC-1000.
>>
>>They only support H.263 for video's (not H.261 or H.264)
>>
>>Yet everytime I call them I am unable to see their video, nor they are
>>able to see my video because they're using H.263 and GnomeMeeting (via
>>OpenH323 doesn't have H.263 - as far as I can see from OpenH323's page
>>is that they only do H.261 and no higher for video?
>

> There is a patch for H.263. However, I have never integrated the patch
> in GnomeMeeting because of the patents issue.
>
> However, if you are ready to compile GnomeMeeting/PWLIB/OPAL yourself,
> I'm ready to help you doing it with H.263....

Re: Tipic Source - was Re: Better Video Codecs - was Re: ideas..

Le jeudi 08 d?cembre 2005 ? 17:08 +0100, Conrad Beckert a ?crit :

> > I was worried by this one when it was announced. They tell it is using
> > Open Source Technology, but the Press Release was mentioning the product
> > was Open Source. Is that the case or some marketing "shit" ? ;)
> Well, as an optimist, in case of doubt, I'd consider it as chocolade(*) :-)
> Check this out:
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=149955&package_id=167567
> It is a "hacked" iax client with Theora. Headers say it's LGPL. Hope it
> doesn't go away.
>
> Conrad
>
> (*) I'm realist too - so I would sniff first.

No, no, I was really talking about TIPIC, not Theora :)
Theora is indeed an excellent idea.