Gnomemeeting to Netmeeting, only one way and no video

12

Gnomemeeting to Netmeeting, only one way and no video

Benedek Frank
Hi All

I have a Debian box with Gnomemeeting, and I can send a call to another
Windows Machine in the same network, with video and two way calling, etc.
When I try this with another machine, that is over in Japan, it refuses my
call. When that machine calls, I can get the call, and we can talk fine, but
no video. Video would be going from Gnomemeeting to Netmeeting.

That Japanese netmeeting machine has a router in front, and that has DMZ set
up, basically an open flow gate to the machine from the live world. I have
access to the box via VNC, so I could set this all up. Also SP2 firewall is
punched for the necessary ports, but just to be certain, I also disabled it
for a little while, but still no go. And nothing shows up in the Japanese
Routers incoming log. As if the call wasn`t even taking place.

What I think in this nonsense situation (as for nonsense to me at least), that
the router on the Gnomemeeting end lets the traffic out, but Netmeeting might
also wants to open back a few ports to the Gnomemeeting box, that might be
blocked by the Router on my side? On my side, only the few necessary ports
are open, in the 1500 and 1700 range, sorry I forgot the exact ones.

Thanks for any help, its frustrating,

Ben

Re: Gnomemeeting to Netmeeting, only one way and no video

ALPHONSO Fabrice
On ven, 2005-06-10 at 17:24 +0200, Benedek Frank wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I have a Debian box with Gnomemeeting, and I can send a call to another
> Windows Machine in the same network, with video and two way calling, etc.
> When I try this with another machine, that is over in Japan, it refuses my
> call. When that machine calls, I can get the call, and we can talk fine, but
> no video. Video would be going from Gnomemeeting to Netmeeting.
>
> That Japanese netmeeting machine has a router in front, and that has DMZ set
> up, basically an open flow gate to the machine from the live world. I have
> access to the box via VNC, so I could set this all up. Also SP2 firewall is
> punched for the necessary ports, but just to be certain, I also disabled it
> for a little while, but still no go. And nothing shows up in the Japanese
> Routers incoming log. As if the call wasn`t even taking place.
>
> What I think in this nonsense situation (as for nonsense to me at least), that
> the router on the Gnomemeeting end lets the traffic out, but Netmeeting might
> also wants to open back a few ports to the Gnomemeeting box, that might be
> blocked by the Router on my side? On my side, only the few necessary ports
> are open, in the 1500 and 1700 range, sorry I forgot the exact ones.
>
> Thanks for any help, its frustrating,

Generally, such video problem between GM and NM may be caused by two
kind of problems.
First one is the firewall/router related one.
The FAQ ( http://www.gnomemeeting.org/index.php?rub=3 )  clearly tells
that on GM side the usual ports to be opened (and eventually forwarded)
are 1720 TCP, 5000 to 5016 UDP and in case of communication with
NetMeeting 30000 to 30010 TCP. Luckily on GnomeMeeting side those ports
are well defined.
Unfortunately when the NM is behind a router/gateway, those ports are
not sufficient as NM uses random ports :(
Second one is the size of the video send to the NM which has to be small
size (CIF), or the NM feels flooded and cut the connection.

> Ben
Fabrice

--
Fabrice Alphonso <[hidden email]>

On Friday 10 June 2005 22:15, Fabrice Alphonso wrote:

> On ven, 2005-06-10 at 17:24 +0200, Benedek Frank wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > I have a Debian box with Gnomemeeting, and I can send a call to another
> > Windows Machine in the same network, with video and two way calling, etc.
> > When I try this with another machine, that is over in Japan, it refuses
> > my call. When that machine calls, I can get the call, and we can talk
> > fine, but no video. Video would be going from Gnomemeeting to Netmeeting.
> >
> > That Japanese netmeeting machine has a router in front, and that has DMZ
> > set up, basically an open flow gate to the machine from the live world. I
> > have access to the box via VNC, so I could set this all up. Also SP2
> > firewall is punched for the necessary ports, but just to be certain, I
> > also disabled it for a little while, but still no go. And nothing shows
> > up in the Japanese Routers incoming log. As if the call wasn`t even
> > taking place.
> >
> > What I think in this nonsense situation (as for nonsense to me at least),
> > that the router on the Gnomemeeting end lets the traffic out, but
> > Netmeeting might also wants to open back a few ports to the Gnomemeeting
> > box, that might be blocked by the Router on my side? On my side, only the
> > few necessary ports are open, in the 1500 and 1700 range, sorry I forgot
> > the exact ones.
> >
> > Thanks for any help, its frustrating,
>
> Generally, such video problem between GM and NM may be caused by two
> kind of problems.
> First one is the firewall/router related one.
> The FAQ ( http://www.gnomemeeting.org/index.php?rub=3 )  clearly tells
> that on GM side the usual ports to be opened (and eventually forwarded)
> are 1720 TCP, 5000 to 5016 UDP and in case of communication with
> NetMeeting 30000 to 30010 TCP. Luckily on GnomeMeeting side those ports
> are well defined.
> Unfortunately when the NM is behind a router/gateway, those ports are
> not sufficient as NM uses random ports :(
> Second one is the size of the video send to the NM which has to be small
> size (CIF), or the NM feels flooded and cut the connection.

Hi

All I had set up, except the 5000-5016 UDP ports forwarded to the Gnomemeeting
box. The Netmeeting has an open way to it from the router, as it has DMZ set
up. Now I opened the ports 5000-5016 toward the Gnomemeeting box, and I can
test it tomorrow. Is there a chance that this was my problem? All the other
ports were already opened and as I said, the Netmeeting has no protection
what so ever.]
Thanks

Ben

> > Ben
>
> Fabrice

Re: Gnomemeeting to Netmeeting, only one way and no video

Damien Sandras
Le vendredi 10 juin 2005 à 22:29 +0200, Benedek Frank a écrit :

> On Friday 10 June 2005 22:15, Fabrice Alphonso wrote:
> > On ven, 2005-06-10 at 17:24 +0200, Benedek Frank wrote:
> > > Hi All
> > >
> > > I have a Debian box with Gnomemeeting, and I can send a call to another
> > > Windows Machine in the same network, with video and two way calling, etc.
> > > When I try this with another machine, that is over in Japan, it refuses
> > > my call. When that machine calls, I can get the call, and we can talk
> > > fine, but no video. Video would be going from Gnomemeeting to Netmeeting.
> > >
> > > That Japanese netmeeting machine has a router in front, and that has DMZ
> > > set up, basically an open flow gate to the machine from the live world. I
> > > have access to the box via VNC, so I could set this all up. Also SP2
> > > firewall is punched for the necessary ports, but just to be certain, I
> > > also disabled it for a little while, but still no go. And nothing shows
> > > up in the Japanese Routers incoming log. As if the call wasn`t even
> > > taking place.
> > >
> > > What I think in this nonsense situation (as for nonsense to me at least),
> > > that the router on the Gnomemeeting end lets the traffic out, but
> > > Netmeeting might also wants to open back a few ports to the Gnomemeeting
> > > box, that might be blocked by the Router on my side? On my side, only the
> > > few necessary ports are open, in the 1500 and 1700 range, sorry I forgot
> > > the exact ones.
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help, its frustrating,
> >
> > Generally, such video problem between GM and NM may be caused by two
> > kind of problems.
> > First one is the firewall/router related one.
> > The FAQ ( http://www.gnomemeeting.org/index.php?rub=3 )  clearly tells
> > that on GM side the usual ports to be opened (and eventually forwarded)
> > are 1720 TCP, 5000 to 5016 UDP and in case of communication with
> > NetMeeting 30000 to 30010 TCP. Luckily on GnomeMeeting side those ports
> > are well defined.
> > Unfortunately when the NM is behind a router/gateway, those ports are
> > not sufficient as NM uses random ports :(
> > Second one is the size of the video send to the NM which has to be small
> > size (CIF), or the NM feels flooded and cut the connection.
> >

> Hi
>
> All I had set up, except the 5000-5016 UDP ports forwarded to the Gnomemeeting
> box. The Netmeeting has an open way to it from the router, as it has DMZ set
> up. Now I opened the ports 5000-5016 toward the Gnomemeeting box, and I can
> test it tomorrow. Is there a chance that this was my problem? All the other
> ports were already opened and as I said, the Netmeeting has no protection
> what so ever.]
> Thanks

Absolutely, but please read the FAQ as it is not sure it is the problem,
it depends on the kind of NAT.

> Ben
>
> > > Ben
> >
> > Fabrice
 _      Damien Sandras
(o-     GnomeMeeting: http://www.gnomemeeting.org/
//\     FOSDEM 2005 : http://www.fosdem.org
v_/_    H.323 phone : callto:ils.seconix.com/[hidden email]

Re: NAT types. Was: Gnomemeeting to Netmeeting, only one way and no video

Jouni.Lohikoski@iki.fi
On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 11:20:51PM +0200, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Absolutely, but please read the FAQ as it is not sure it is the problem,
> it depends on the kind of NAT.

< http://www.gnomemeeting.org/index.php?rub=3&pos=0&faqpage=x213.html#AEN218 >

The FAQ could have a link to the place where terms like "Symmertic -"
"Cone -" and "Open NAT" are described.
ie: < http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-STUN >

// jouni

On Friday 10 June 2005 23:20, Damien Sandras wrote:

> Le vendredi 10 juin 2005 à 22:29 +0200, Benedek Frank a écrit :

> > > Generally, such video problem between GM and NM may be caused by two
> > > kind of problems.
> > > First one is the firewall/router related one.
> > > The FAQ ( http://www.gnomemeeting.org/index.php?rub=3 )  clearly tells
> > > that on GM side the usual ports to be opened (and eventually forwarded)
> > > are 1720 TCP, 5000 to 5016 UDP and in case of communication with
> > > NetMeeting 30000 to 30010 TCP. Luckily on GnomeMeeting side those ports
> > > are well defined.
> > > Unfortunately when the NM is behind a router/gateway, those ports are
> > > not sufficient as NM uses random ports :(
> > > Second one is the size of the video send to the NM which has to be
> > > small size (CIF), or the NM feels flooded and cut the connection.
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > All I had set up, except the 5000-5016 UDP ports forwarded to the
> > Gnomemeeting box. The Netmeeting has an open way to it from the router,
> > as it has DMZ set up. Now I opened the ports 5000-5016 toward the
> > Gnomemeeting box, and I can test it tomorrow. Is there a chance that this
> > was my problem? All the other ports were already opened and as I said,
> > the Netmeeting has no protection what so ever.]
> > Thanks
>
> Absolutely, but please read the FAQ as it is not sure it is the problem,
> it depends on the kind of NAT.

Hi

I finally had a chance to try it, and still no go. Now all possible ports are
open on my GM and the NM has a router with DMZ support toward the NM, so it
has open air. Calls innitiated from NM to GM comes through and Audio travels
back and forth. Calls innitiated from GM to NM are rejected. GM shows "User
did not accept the call". ANy other hints? ALso when I call from NM to GM,
everything is fine, audio, but video does not go through from the GM side to
the NM side. NM has no camera, so I couldnt try that. THanks.

Ben

> > Ben

> > > Fabrice

Re: Gnomemeeting to Netmeeting, only one way and no video

Julien PUYDT
Benedek Frank a écrit :
> I finally had a chance to try it, and still no go. Now all possible ports are
> open on my GM and the NM has a router with DMZ support toward the NM, so it
> has open air. Calls innitiated from NM to GM comes through and Audio travels
> back and forth.

Nice

> Calls innitiated from GM to NM are rejected.

Are you sure the port 1720 is opened? Try to do something like "telnet
remote_host 1720" (where remote_host should be the address/name of your
NM), to see if you get a connection.

> GM shows "User
> did not accept the call". ANy other hints? ALso when I call from NM to GM,
> everything is fine, audio, but video does not go through from the GM side to
> the NM side. NM has no camera, so I couldnt try that. THanks.

For that last part, check that both gnomemeeting and netmeeting have
video enabled in their options.

Snark on #gnomemeeting

On Sunday 12 June 2005 11:42, Julien PUYDT wrote:

> Benedek Frank a écrit :
> > I finally had a chance to try it, and still no go. Now all possible ports
> > are open on my GM and the NM has a router with DMZ support toward the NM,
> > so it has open air. Calls innitiated from NM to GM comes through and
> > Audio travels back and forth.
>
> Nice
>
> > Calls innitiated from GM to NM are rejected.
>
> Are you sure the port 1720 is opened? Try to do something like "telnet
> remote_host 1720" (where remote_host should be the address/name of your
> NM), to see if you get a connection.

Hi

Thanks for picking this up with me. I did what you told me, and I am even more
confused now. WHen I block the port 1720 on the NM box, and I try to telnet
to it, I get the message

ben@vaio:~$ telnet remotehosthere.com 1720
Trying remotehostsiphere..

ANd it hangs here, never connects. Now when I enable the 1720 port on the NM
and I telnet to it from the GM, I get the following.

ben@vaio:~$ remotehosthere.com 1720
Trying remotehostsiphere..

What this might be? As I said, the NM has a router with DMZ enabled. I thought
that the port 1720 might be disabled by the ISP by default, so I tried the
same with 1721 but it came to be the same. Telnet test showed the same. What
else should I try? It seems that the NM side is the problem obviously, as it
rejects the telnet connectiuon even though the port is open to it. It is a
Windows XP with SP2 and the firewall is set as I described above.

Thanks again

Bence

Le dim 12/06/2005 à 14:16, Benedek Frank a écrit :

> On Sunday 12 June 2005 11:42, Julien PUYDT wrote:
> > Benedek Frank a écrit :
> > > I finally had a chance to try it, and still no go. Now all possible ports
> > > are open on my GM and the NM has a router with DMZ support toward the NM,
> > > so it has open air. Calls innitiated from NM to GM comes through and
> > > Audio travels back and forth.
> >
> > Nice
> >
> > > Calls innitiated from GM to NM are rejected.
> >
> > Are you sure the port 1720 is opened? Try to do something like "telnet
> > remote_host 1720" (where remote_host should be the address/name of your
> > NM), to see if you get a connection.
> >

> Hi
>
> Thanks for picking this up with me. I did what you told me, and I am even more
> confused now. WHen I block the port 1720 on the NM box, and I try to telnet
> to it, I get the message
>
> ben@vaio:~$ telnet remotehosthere.com 1720
> Trying remotehostsiphere..
>
> ANd it hangs here, never connects. Now when I enable the 1720 port on the NM
> and I telnet to it from the GM, I get the following.
>
> ben@vaio:~$ remotehosthere.com 1720
> Trying remotehostsiphere..
>
> What this might be? As I said, the NM has a router with DMZ enabled. I thought
> that the port 1720 might be disabled by the ISP by default, so I tried the
> same with 1721 but it came to be the same. Telnet test showed the same. What
> else should I try? It seems that the NM side is the problem obviously, as it
> rejects the telnet connectiuon even though the port is open to it. It is a
> Windows XP with SP2 and the firewall is set as I described above.

If the machine is in the DMZ, the port should be reachable from the
outside without any problem. As long as you can not telnet to port 1720,
you won't be able to call from GM to NM (as basically GM is doing a sort
of telnet). However, I don't have any idea how we could help you with
this unfortunately :(

Have you checked that the machine running Netmeeting (ie not the one
doing the NAT) has its firewall disabled completely?

//\     FOSDEM 2003:  http://www.fosdem.org

On Sunday 12 June 2005 17:51, Damien Sandras wrote:

> Le dim 12/06/2005 à 14:16, Benedek Frank a écrit :
> > >
> > > Nice

> > > Are you sure the port 1720 is opened? Try to do something like "telnet
> > > remote_host 1720" (where remote_host should be the address/name of your
> > > NM), to see if you get a connection.
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > Thanks for picking this up with me. I did what you told me, and I am even
> > more confused now. WHen I block the port 1720 on the NM box, and I try to
> > telnet to it, I get the message
> >
> > ben@vaio:~$ telnet remotehosthere.com 1720
> > Trying remotehostsiphere..
> >
> > ANd it hangs here, never connects. Now when I enable the 1720 port on the
> > NM and I telnet to it from the GM, I get the following.
> >
> > ben@vaio:~$ remotehosthere.com 1720
> > Trying remotehostsiphere..
> > telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
> >
> > What this might be? As I said, the NM has a router with DMZ enabled. I
> > thought that the port 1720 might be disabled by the ISP by default, so I
> > tried the same with 1721 but it came to be the same. Telnet test showed
> > the same. What else should I try? It seems that the NM side is the
> > problem obviously, as it rejects the telnet connectiuon even though the
> > port is open to it. It is a Windows XP with SP2 and the firewall is set
> > as I described above.
>
> If the machine is in the DMZ, the port should be reachable from the
> outside without any problem. As long as you can not telnet to port 1720,
> you won't be able to call from GM to NM (as basically GM is doing a sort
> of telnet). However, I don't have any idea how we could help you with
> this unfortunately :(
>
> Have you checked that the machine running Netmeeting (ie not the one
> doing the NAT) has its firewall disabled completely?
Hi

Yes, I disabled the SP2 firewall on the NM, and still no go. I dont have
access to any other machines on the same network, so I cannot try to telnet
into the box via 1720 from an internal machine, which would be something to
try. And on top of all that, it is behind a Japanese router, which gives you
the idea how easy it is to set it up, sepaking reading almost no Japanese at
all. That is why I set the DMZ. DMZ is DMZ in all languages. Haha. Sorry to
bother the list, I will try to contact the routers maker for further
instructions.

Thanks

Bence

Le dimanche 12 juin 2005 à 18:33 +0200, Benedek Frank a écrit :

> > Have you checked that the machine running Netmeeting (ie not the one
> > doing the NAT) has its firewall disabled completely?
> Hi
>
> Yes, I disabled the SP2 firewall on the NM, and still no go. I dont have
> access to any other machines on the same network, so I cannot try to telnet
> into the box via 1720 from an internal machine, which would be something to
> try. And on top of all that, it is behind a Japanese router, which gives you
> the idea how easy it is to set it up, sepaking reading almost no Japanese at
> all. That is why I set the DMZ. DMZ is DMZ in all languages. Haha. Sorry to
> bother the list, I will try to contact the routers maker for further
> instructions.

Perahps you still need to forward 1720 from the router to the internal
machine, even with the machine in the DMZ. Just blind-guessing here
because the problem is weird.

On Monday 13 June 2005 13:49, Damien Sandras wrote:

> Le dimanche 12 juin 2005 à 18:33 +0200, Benedek Frank a écrit :
> > > Have you checked that the machine running Netmeeting (ie not the one
> > > doing the NAT) has its firewall disabled completely?
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > Yes, I disabled the SP2 firewall on the NM, and still no go. I dont have
> > access to any other machines on the same network, so I cannot try to
> > telnet into the box via 1720 from an internal machine, which would be
> > something to try. And on top of all that, it is behind a Japanese router,
> > which gives you the idea how easy it is to set it up, sepaking reading
> > almost no Japanese at all. That is why I set the DMZ. DMZ is DMZ in all
> > languages. Haha. Sorry to bother the list, I will try to contact the
> > routers maker for further instructions.
>
> Perahps you still need to forward 1720 from the router to the internal
> machine, even with the machine in the DMZ. Just blind-guessing here
> because the problem is weird.

Yes I thought about that also, but then one thing remains unexplained. Why
telneting on port 1720 gives a different response with Service Pack 2
firewall blocking the 1720 port and with the port open? One might think, that
if the firewall is blocking the access to port1720, changing something on the
computers internal firewall will not affect anything, as the firewall is
already blocking everything aiming the port. Hmm. Of course I will try your
aproach, and report back. If you think of anything else I may try with XP (I
dont know much XP), please let me know.

Thanks

Ben

> > Thanks

Re: UPDATE Gnomemeeting to Netmeeting, only one way and no video

Benedek Frank

On Monday 13 June 2005 13:49, Damien Sandras wrote:

> Le dimanche 12 juin 2005 à 18:33 +0200, Benedek Frank a écrit :

> > > Have you checked that the machine running Netmeeting (ie not the one

> > > doing the NAT) has its firewall disabled completely?

> > Hi

> > Yes, I disabled the SP2 firewall on the NM, and still no go. I dont have

> > access to any other machines on the same network, so I cannot try to

> > telnet into the box via 1720 from an internal machine, which would be

> > something to try. And on top of all that, it is behind a Japanese router,

> > which gives you the idea how easy it is to set it up, sepaking reading

> > almost no Japanese at all. That is why I set the DMZ. DMZ is DMZ in all

> > languages. Haha. Sorry to bother the list, I will try to contact the

> > routers maker for further instructions.

> Perahps you still need to forward 1720 from the router to the internal

> machine, even with the machine in the DMZ. Just blind-guessing here

> because the problem is weird.

> > Thanks

Hi

I verified as best as I could, that 1720 is accessible by the XP box, Now I can telnet to it, etc, but still no go. Thankfully I found an option on the NM XP box`s firewall, which is a logging option. So I set that enabled, and now the NM PC will log every attempt, that gets by the firewall, to the NM PC. Again all ports are open, and the DMZ seems to be working, as all trafic gets to the NM PC, just something is still bad. I think, that it tries to send something back to the GM box, on port ranges from 33500 - 33599 (maybe?), and that is not open on the GM side. I will not open it until you guys confirm that that might help, as that is not in the FAQ at all, so I am suspicious that I overlooked something. Well, enough said, I will paste the log here, removing only my static IP from the log, replacing it with XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX So that is my IP, its not really in the log. Privacy purposes. The other IP (192.168.0.100) is the internal IP of the NM PC. Also always first IP is source second is destination. First port is source second is destination.

Thanks

This first part is a successful call made from the NM side to the GM side, and then manual disconnection (hang up).

#Version: 1.5

#Software: Microsoft Windows Firewall

#Time Format: Local

#Fields: date time action protocol src-ip dst-ip src-port dst-port size tcpflags tcpsyn tcpack tcpwin icmptype icmpcode info path

2005-06-14 23:58:14 OPEN TCP 192.168.0.100 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 1778 1720 - - - - - - - - -

2005-06-14 23:58:21 OPEN TCP 192.168.0.100 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 1779 33523 - - - - - - - - -

2005-06-14 23:58:28 OPEN UDP 192.168.0.100 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 49605 5005 - - - - - - - - -

2005-06-14 23:58:36 OPEN UDP 192.168.0.100 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 49604 5004 - - - - - - - - -

2005-06-14 23:58:38 OPEN UDP 192.168.0.100 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 49603 5007 - - - - - - - - -

2005-06-15 00:00:16 CLOSE TCP 192.168.0.100 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 1778 1720 - - - - - - - - -

2005-06-15 00:00:17 DROP TCP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 192.168.0.100 1720 1778 40 A 683060071 1799151656 6432 - - - RECEIVE

2005-06-15 00:01:11 CLOSE UDP 192.168.0.100 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 49604 5004 - - - - - - - - -

2005-06-15 00:02:11 CLOSE UDP 192.168.0.100 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 49605 5005 - - - - - - - - -

2005-06-15 00:02:11 CLOSE UDP 192.168.0.100 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 49603 5007 - - - - - - - - -

This second part is when I make the call from the GM side toward the NM side, and the call will not go through, and the GM will say (Remote user did not accept the call)

2005-06-15 00:02:34 OPEN-INBOUND TCP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 192.168.0.100 33527 1720 - - - - - - - - -

2005-06-15 00:02:35 CLOSE TCP 192.168.0.100 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 1720 33527 - - - - - - - - -

At this point, the call already fails, you can see from the log it takes only a second to fail. What it seems to me is that the NM tries to open back a connection to the GM, and it fails as the GM does not get port 33527 forwarded to it? Also I will show another attempt, same setup, you can see the the 335xx port is in an ascending order, and the difference is only one. So it is a random port, which range I am unaware of.

2005-06-15 00:02:39 OPEN-INBOUND TCP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 192.168.0.100 33528 1720 - - - - - - - - -

2005-06-15 00:02:40 CLOSE TCP 192.168.0.100 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 1720 33528 - - - - - - - - -

SOrry for the complex posting, if you have a little time, could you try to solve it with me? Thanks a lot

Benedek Frank

Re: UPDATE2 Gnomemeeting to Netmeeting, only one way and no video

Benedek Frank
On Tuesday 14 June 2005 17:37, Benedek Frank wrote:

> [...]
> 1720 - - - - - - - - -
> 2005-06-15 00:02:35 CLOSE TCP 192.168.0.100 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 1720 33527 - -
> - - - - - - -
>
> At this point, the call already fails, you can see from the log it takes
> only a second to fail. What it seems to me is that the NM tries to open
> back a connection to the GM, and it fails as the GM does not get port 33527
> forwarded to it? Also I will show another attempt, same setup, you can see
> the the 335xx port is in an ascending order, and the difference is only
> one. So it is a random port, which range I am unaware of.
>
> 2005-06-15 00:02:39 OPEN-INBOUND TCP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 192.168.0.100 33528
> 1720 - - - - - - - - -
> 2005-06-15 00:02:40 CLOSE TCP 192.168.0.100 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 1720 33528 - -
> - - - - - - -
>
> SOrry for the complex posting, if you have a little time, could you try to

Hi

I know my problem is very compilcated, sorry for the continuing mails, I am
still looking for a solution.

What I discovered in my last LONG (sorry about that) mail, that the NM sends
back something on ports above 30000. It is absolutely random, but once it
starts, it is consequent, meanting if a call generates a port request on
33454 the next calll will go to 33455. So I did a call, saw the port, then
opened the next port on the router in front of the GM, and I started ringing
the NM. This time, i didnt get the message "Remote host didnt accept call"
but I got a message after 6-7 rings "Remote user offline", even though it was
online. I was in the NM box with VNC, and it didnt ring.

One more time, compiling where we stand.

GM -- Router (ports open) --------IP Overseas --------- Router (DMZ to NM) NM

In this setup, I can call from NM to GM, and I have audio but no video. When I
call from GM to NM, it will say "Remote user doesnt accept call".

Please check the NM PC`s log, that is recorded with the XP SP2 firewall. On
the GM side, I dont have a log.

Thanks for helping

Ben

Le mercredi 15 juin 2005 à 21:42 +0200, Benedek Frank a écrit :

> Hi
>
> I know my problem is very compilcated, sorry for the continuing mails, I am
> still looking for a solution.

No problem, I was just away and it seems I'm the only one willing to
help you :(

> What I discovered in my last LONG (sorry about that) mail, that the NM sends
> back something on ports above 30000. It is absolutely random, but once it

Check the content of the key :
/apps/gnomemeeting/protocols/h323/ports/tcp_port_range
(gconftool-2 -g /apps/gnomemeeting/protocols/h323/ports/tcp_port_range)

This port range should be allowed (ie allowed and/or forwarded) if you
are using Netmeeting. The reason is that Netmeeting doesn't support
H.245 Tunneling, so it is using one more TCP port. If NM is not broken,
it should really send back data on a port on the GnomeMeeting side in
the range specified by the gconf key.

> starts, it is consequent, meanting if a call generates a port request on
> 33454 the next calll will go to 33455. So I did a call, saw the port, then
> opened the next port on the router in front of the GM, and I started ringing
> the NM. This time, i didnt get the message "Remote host didnt accept call"
> but I got a message after 6-7 rings "Remote user offline", even though it was
> online. I was in the NM box with VNC, and it didnt ring.
>
> One more time, compiling where we stand.
>
> GM -- Router (ports open) --------IP Overseas --------- Router (DMZ to NM) NM
>
> In this setup, I can call from NM to GM, and I have audio but no video. When I
> call from GM to NM, it will say "Remote user doesnt accept call".

That's due to the H.245 thing.

For the video, I have no idea, are you sure that you are transmitting
and receiving small video? Are the video channels opened?

Damien Sandras a écrit :
>>I know my problem is very compilcated, sorry for the continuing mails, I am
>>still looking for a solution.
>
> No problem, I was just away and it seems I'm the only one willing to
> help you :(

Eh, I'm willing but I have no idea what happens...

Snark on #gnomemeeting

On Thursday 16 June 2005 10:12, Damien Sandras wrote:

> Le mercredi 15 juin 2005 à 21:42 +0200, Benedek Frank a écrit :
> > Hi
> >
> > I know my problem is very compilcated, sorry for the continuing mails, I
> > am still looking for a solution.
>
> No problem, I was just away and it seems I'm the only one willing to
> help you :(
>
> > What I discovered in my last LONG (sorry about that) mail, that the NM
> > sends back something on ports above 30000. It is absolutely random, but
> > once it
>
> Check the content of the key :
> /apps/gnomemeeting/protocols/h323/ports/tcp_port_range
> (gconftool-2 -g /apps/gnomemeeting/protocols/h323/ports/tcp_port_range)

Hi

When I run this, I get this:

vaio:/home/ben# gconftool-2
-g /apps/gnomemeeting/protocols/h323/ports/tcp_port_range
30000:30010
vaio:/home/ben#

When I log into my router, these ports are open for me

        1 NETMEETING 1720 1720 192.168.0.4
        2 NETMEETING 1503 1503 192.168.0.4
        3 H.245 for Netmee 30000 30010 192.168.0.4
        4 Netmeeting Trying 5000 5016 192.168.0.4

Now, I am puzzled again. The ports are all open. On the NM side, there is DMZ>
I can even telnet to port 1720. What might be wrong?

> This port range should be allowed (ie allowed and/or forwarded) if you
> are using Netmeeting. The reason is that Netmeeting doesn't support
> H.245 Tunneling, so it is using one more TCP port. If NM is not broken,
> it should really send back data on a port on the GnomeMeeting side in
> the range specified by the gconf key.
>
> > starts, it is consequent, meanting if a call generates a port request on
> > 33454 the next calll will go to 33455. So I did a call, saw the port,
> > then opened the next port on the router in front of the GM, and I started
> > ringing the NM. This time, i didnt get the message "Remote host didnt
> > accept call" but I got a message after 6-7 rings "Remote user offline",
> > even though it was online. I was in the NM box with VNC, and it didnt
> > ring.
> >
> > One more time, compiling where we stand.
> >
> > GM -- Router (ports open) --------IP Overseas --------- Router (DMZ to
> > NM) NM
> >
> > In this setup, I can call from NM to GM, and I have audio but no video.
> > When I call from GM to NM, it will say "Remote user doesnt accept call".
>
> That's due to the H.245 thing.
>
> For the video, I have no idea, are you sure that you are transmitting
> and receiving small video? Are the video channels opened?

When I send a call to a NM on my local network, the video goes through, so I
think it should work fine overseas as well. The two NMs are identical,
Japanese Windows XP. One works, that is on the LAN, and one rejects, which is
in Japan.

Thanks for helping

Ben

Le jeudi 16 juin 2005 à 13:18 +0200, Benedek Frank a écrit :

> Hi
>
> When I run this, I get this:
>
> vaio:/home/ben# gconftool-2
> -g /apps/gnomemeeting/protocols/h323/ports/tcp_port_range
> 30000:30010
> vaio:/home/ben#
>
> When I log into my router, these ports are open for me
>
> 1 NETMEETING 1720 1720 192.168.0.4
> 2 NETMEETING 1503 1503 192.168.0.4
> 3 H.245 for Netmee 30000 30010 192.168.0.4
> 4 Netmeeting Trying 5000 5016 192.168.0.4
>
> Now, I am puzzled again. The ports are all open. On the NM side, there is DMZ>
> I can even telnet to port 1720. What might be wrong?

Sorry, I have no idea. Probably somebody else can help you, but I'm
personally out of ideas.

> > For the video, I have no idea, are you sure that you are transmitting
> > and receiving small video? Are the video channels opened?
>
> When I send a call to a NM on my local network, the video goes through, so I
> think it should work fine overseas as well. The two NMs are identical,
> Japanese Windows XP. One works, that is on the LAN, and one rejects, which is
> in Japan.

So we are back at square 1 : NAT problem.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 03:26:10PM +0200, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le jeudi 16 juin 2005 à 13:18 +0200, Benedek Frank a écrit :
> > Now, I am puzzled again. The ports are all open. On the NM side, there is DMZ>

Why just forget NM?.
Try < http://snapshots.voxgratia.org/openphone/ >
NM has been obsoleted by the MS itself, so why bother.

// jouni

Re: UPDATE2 Gnomemeeting to Netmeeting, only one way and no video

Benedek Frank
Good question but I cannot. My wife wants to keep in touch with her parents in
Japan, and I cannot get two middle aged person to change to Linux because of
their Foreign son in law.

On Friday 17 June 2005 22:44, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 03:26:10PM +0200, Damien Sandras wrote:
> > Le jeudi 16 juin 2005 à 13:18 +0200, Benedek Frank a écrit :
> > > Now, I am puzzled again. The ports are all open. On the NM side, there
> > > is DMZ>
>
> Why just forget NM?.
> Try < http://snapshots.voxgratia.org/openphone/ >
> NM has been obsoleted by the MS itself, so why bother.
>
> // jouni

12