GM compatible with Google Talk VOIP?

Jouni.Lohikoski@iki.fi
Now when Google Talk has been released, is GM going to be compatible
with it?

At least for instant messaging Google Talk uses XMPP-ptotocol (former
name Jabber), which is open, but how about the VOIP protocol it uses?

Has anyone heard Google Talk will integrate also video later?

// jouni

Re: GM compatible with Google Talk VOIP?

Antonello Lobianco
Future releases of Google Talk will support SIP that is where
Gnomemeeting is going.

/Antonello

Il giorno mer, 24/08/2005 alle 16.23 +0300, [hidden email] ha
scritto:

> Now when Google Talk has been released, is GM going to be compatible
> with it?
>
> At least for instant messaging Google Talk uses XMPP-ptotocol (former
> name Jabber), which is open, but how about the VOIP protocol it uses?
>
> Has anyone heard Google Talk will integrate also video later?
>
> // jouni

Antonello Lobianco
http://www.lobianco.org/antonello
(Gpg key on http://www.lobianco.org/antonello/pkey.gpg)

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 03:29:01PM +0200, Antonello Lobianco wrote:
> Future releases of Google Talk will support SIP that is where
> Gnomemeeting is going.

Ok. I found this which somewhat explains what is coming:
http://www.google.com/talk/developer.html
"
5. What protocols are used for voice calls?

Google Talk supports a custom XMPP-based signaling protocol and
peer-to-peer communication mechanism. We will fully document this
protocol. In the near future, we plan to support SIP signaling.

6. Which voice codecs do you support?

Today, Google Talk supports the following standard voice codecs: PCMA,
PCMU, G.723, iLBC. We are also evaluating the Speex codec. We also
support codecs from Global IP Sound: ISAC, IPCMWB, EG711U, EG711A
"

I wonder will it make GM for Windows obsolete then, if Windows users
will have working free XMPP/SIP-application from Google?

// jouni

Re: GM compatible with Google Talk VOIP?

Julien PUYDT
[hidden email] a écrit :
> XMPP-ptotocol (former name Jabber)

Jabber still exists. Only its foundation is formally settled in XMPP
(RFC3920 and RFC3921) ; there are many JEPs that make jabber a superset
of XMPP.

Snark on #gnomemeeting

[hidden email] a écrit :
> I wonder will it make GM for Windows obsolete then, if Windows users
> will have working free XMPP/SIP-application from Google?

VoIP-with-IM isn't the whole of VoIP. There still is the need for a good
softphone.

Snark on #gnomemeeting