Ekiga.net discontinued

Damien Sandras
Hi all,

Due to the lack of time, and to the last outages, I have taken the decision to discontinue EKIGA.NET before the end of the year.

Thank you for your support during all those years.

It has been a pleasure!
--
Damien SANDRAS

Ekiga Project
http://www.ekiga.org

Re: Ekiga.net discontinued

Ekiga General mailing list
On 02/12/2018, Damien Sandras <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Due to the lack of time, and to the last outages, I have taken the
> decision to discontinue EKIGA.NET before the end of the year.
>
> Thank you for your support during all those years.
>
> It has been a pleasure!
> --
>

> Damien SANDRAS
>

> Ekiga Project
>
> http://www.ekiga.org

Hello.

I am wondering whether, given that Ekiga is said to be open source,
rather than, as its owner, simply shutting it down, it would not be
more appropriate and consistent with the (perceived) nature of open
source,, to seek a new group of people, to take it on, for the sake of
its continuance.

More and more good  Linux software, has been abandoned/discontinued,
and, with MS apparently determined to progressively eliminate skype
(MS has been p[rogressively hobbling skype, since MS bought it out), a
developing technology in IT - the means od making video calls, amongst
other uses, is being eliminated. It is a bit like, if Alexander Bell
had decided that he had had enough of trying to develop telephony, and
said "Stuff it - I've had enough - I am going to put it all into boxes
and bury it.", rather than passing it on to others to continue the
development.

Imagine what the world would be like, if we had not had telephony.
Imagine what the wotld could be like, if we would have video calls and
videoconferencing, as commonplace, as telephony has been.

Here in Australia, members of the federal parliament, fly thousands of
kilometres, to sit in the parliament (when they can be bothered
turning up for "work" - the federal parliament is apparently scheduled
to meet, for only ten days, in the next eight months, while its
members hibernate (and, hide from each other) ), and, whilst the
Australian federal partliament does not want to progress from the
stone age, if its members used virtual attendance, through
videoconferencing, it could save the country a fortune, and, show that
Australia is not really such a stupid and backward country, that it
appears to be (we have a federal government, that is obsessed with
burning as much cpoall as possible, as it is worried about the
increasing chill in the air).

So, while MS is doing as much as it can, to obstruct communications,
with its progressive hobbling of skype, if Ekiga could be turned into
a community project, and, thence, continue to be developed and
maintained, instead of being abandoned, like so much other Linux
software, we could have hope, that communications technology will
continue to advance, instead of being abandoned  and left in unusable
pieces on the side of the road..

So, rather than simply abandoning Ekiga, I ask whether it could be
offered as a community project, so as to provide for its continued
development, maintenance, and, support, rather than simply abandoning
it.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Ekiga.net discontinued

Ekiga General mailing list
Thanks for all the work you put in over the years Damien - sometimes it is best to allow the world to move on without us. There is a tide in the affairs of man - and all that Shakespeare stuff.
Sad to see it go - but you can only do so much.

Thanks again
David

On Sat, 1 Dec 2018 at 17:36, Damien Sandras <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

Due to the lack of time, and to the last outages, I have taken the decision to discontinue EKIGA.NET before the end of the year.

Thank you for your support during all those years.

It has been a pleasure!
--
Damien SANDRAS

Ekiga Project
http://www.ekiga.org

Re: Ekiga.net discontinued

Stuart D. Gathman
On Sun, 2 Dec 2018, Bret Busby via ekiga-list wrote:

> On 02/12/2018, Damien Sandras <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Due to the lack of time, and to the last outages, I have taken the
>> decision to discontinue EKIGA.NET before the end of the year.

> I am wondering whether, given that Ekiga is said to be open source,
> rather than, as its owner, simply shutting it down, it would not be
> more appropriate and consistent with the (perceived) nature of open
> source,, to seek a new group of people, to take it on, for the sake of
> its continuance.

Ekiga.net is not needed for peer to peer calls.  It is only to help
out unfortunate souls still in IP4 NAT jail because they haven't learned
how to join the IP6 world.  ISPs will never offer IP6.  You have to
peer with friends and/or sign up with a general tunnel broker like
he.net.

There are other sites offering free IP4 SIP call brokering (generally
charging for POTS connections to make their money).

I moved to Linphone (another open source SIP client) because it
supported IPv6.  Peer to peer SIP really requires IPv6.

The Cjdns IPv6 mesh VPN allows authenticated, encrypted peer to peer calls
anywhere in the world without any exchange of certs, etc, and a device
keeps its IP as it moves around.  The IPv6 is a hash of the public key
of the node.

Even without a VPN, IPv6 allows direct peer to peer without needing
a public IP4 or a centralized site to help with all the NAT workarounds.

Ekiga does a number of things better than linphone (e.g. addressbook).
But the lack of IPv6 was a deal killer.  There were efforts to
add IPv6 support to ekiga, but never finished that I was aware of.
Actually, IPv6 support in Linphone is a pain - it can't listen on
IP4 (for commercial SIP to POTS services) and IP6 simultaneously.
You have to switch back and forth in preferences.  Ekiga could do it so
much better.

--
       Stuart D. Gathman <[hidden email]>

Re: Ekiga.net discontinued

Ekiga General mailing list
how can i unsubscribe from this list pls

Le sam. 1 déc. 2018 à 20:45, Stuart D. Gathman <[hidden email]> a écrit :
On Sun, 2 Dec 2018, Bret Busby via ekiga-list wrote:

> On 02/12/2018, Damien Sandras <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Due to the lack of time, and to the last outages, I have taken the
>> decision to discontinue EKIGA.NET before the end of the year.

> I am wondering whether, given that Ekiga is said to be open source,
> rather than, as its owner, simply shutting it down, it would not be
> more appropriate and consistent with the (perceived) nature of open
> source,, to seek a new group of people, to take it on, for the sake of
> its continuance.

Ekiga.net is not needed for peer to peer calls.  It is only to help
out unfortunate souls still in IP4 NAT jail because they haven't learned
how to join the IP6 world.  ISPs will never offer IP6.  You have to
peer with friends and/or sign up with a general tunnel broker like
he.net.

There are other sites offering free IP4 SIP call brokering (generally
charging for POTS connections to make their money).

I moved to Linphone (another open source SIP client) because it
supported IPv6.  Peer to peer SIP really requires IPv6.

The Cjdns IPv6 mesh VPN allows authenticated, encrypted peer to peer calls
anywhere in the world without any exchange of certs, etc, and a device
keeps its IP as it moves around.  The IPv6 is a hash of the public key
of the node.

Even without a VPN, IPv6 allows direct peer to peer without needing
a public IP4 or a centralized site to help with all the NAT workarounds.

Ekiga does a number of things better than linphone (e.g. addressbook).
But the lack of IPv6 was a deal killer.  There were efforts to
add IPv6 support to ekiga, but never finished that I was aware of.
Actually, IPv6 support in Linphone is a pain - it can't listen on
IP4 (for commercial SIP to POTS services) and IP6 simultaneously.
You have to switch back and forth in preferences.  Ekiga could do it so
much better.

--
              Stuart D. Gathman <[hidden email]>

Re: Ekiga.net discontinued

Hi Bret,

Thank you for your email and support.

You are absolutely right...

Actually, Ekiga, the software, is not discontinued. Ekiga.net, the SIP platform that goes with it, will be shutting down by the end of the year.

However, actually, the state of the software is not better. I have actively maintained ekiga during more or less 12 to 13 years. A new version is nearly ready (without instant messaging support anymore, and without STUN/NAT support). A few years ago, I asked for help to finish it. It was a call to developers, but nobody answered.

Having to maintain the software, the SIP platform, the websites, the manuals, the documentation for that new release alone is simply not possible. It would be if I was unemployed. But in that case, the "free" as "free beer" aspect of Open Source would be annoying for me :-)

So well, if developers want to keep working on the Ekiga software, they are welcome. The code is in GNOME's git, available for everyone!

Le dimanche 02 décembre 2018 à 06:15 +0800, Bret Busby via ekiga-list a écrit :
On 02/12/2018, Damien Sandras <
[hidden email]

On Sat, 1 Dec 2018, A Human via ekiga-list wrote:

> how can i unsubscribe from this list pls

Use the link at the bottom.  I'm copying it here:

       Stuart D. Gathman <[hidden email]>

Re: Ekiga.net discontinued

Gerhard Pircher
Am 2018-12-01 um 18:35 schrieb Damien Sandras:
> Hi all,
>
> Due to the lack of time, and to the last outages, I have taken the
> decision to discontinue EKIGA.NET before the end of the year.
>
> Thank you for your support during all those years.
>
> It has been a pleasure!
I just wanted to say thank you for keeping the ekiga.net service up
and running all those years!

Gerhard

Re: Ekiga.net discontinued

Le jeudi 06 décembre 2018 à 22:55 +0100, Gerhard Pircher a écrit :
Am 2018-12-01 um 18:35 schrieb Damien Sandras:
Due to the lack of time, and to the last outages, I have taken the
decision to discontinue EKIGA.NET before the end of the year.

Thank you for your support during all those years.

It has been a pleasure!
I just wanted to say thank you for keeping the ekiga.net service up
and running all those years!

Thank you for the nice words!

Best regards,
--