Ekiga hangs at startup - how to delete config

Ekiga hangs at startup - how to delete config

Hans Linkels
Hello all,

Ekiga 4.0.1-5

Debian Jessie kernel 3.16.0-4-amd64

After installation Ekiga worked well. I was able to register with my SIP
provider. Place telephone calls also worked.

Then I tried to switch on my camera. This worked for less then a second,
then Ekiga terminated. When starting it again, it displays this message:

Ekia did not manage to configure your network settings automatically [...]

And it hangs solidly. Nothing to do except a kill command.

The camera button is still pressed. So the setting is still "Camera ON".
I think this causes the problem. But I cannot disable it.

It tried to uninstall --purge Ekiga, but the settings are retained.

I tried to delete the config settings. I believe they were in
~/.gconf/apps. I deleted the ekiga directory.

My settings are retained, no matter what I do. When I start Ekiga with
the debug option enabled I see in the console Ekiga is trying to connect
with my SIP provider.

Since Ekiga worked until I enable the camera I want to delete the
settings and do the configurations again.

How do I delete all Ekiga settings wherever they are?

Thanks

Hans Linkels

Re: Ekiga hangs at startup - how to delete config

Tony Moody
Hallo Hans,

Ekiga is a lovely program. But now and again something comes in and wrecks it. I suspect it is
some sort of modern artifact associated with Windows type stuff. Once you know how to
Restore your ekiga.conf the resurrection process is trivial.

I'm on a XP
The place and the file is :
C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\ekiga.conf

Here are the generic instructions with some of my own notes intersperesed. Your Linux will be
different to my windows. ;
 ============
If you want to try a new version of Ekiga and want to come back afterwards, you need to save
your configuration and use it again once your tests ended.

Backing up Ekiga configuration: quit Ekiga if it is running. Then afterwards:

    on Unices, execute killall gconfd-2, copy directory ~/.gconf/apps/ekiga to a safe place.
    on Windows, copy %APPDATA%\ekiga.conf file to a safe place.

eg. C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\ekiga.conf
  Copied to E:\SOFTWARE\voip software\Ekiga\140103 ekiga.conf

Rolling back Ekiga configuration: quit Ekiga if it is running, then afterwards:

    on Unices, execute kill gconfd-2, remove directory ~/.gconf/apps/ekiga and put in
~/.gconf/apps the ekiga directory you have saved
    on Windows, copy the saved ekiga.conf back to its place C:\Documents and
Settings\Admin\Application Data\ekiga.conf
===============

OK,
Tony

On 15 Apr 2018 at 23:02, Hans Linkels wrote about :
Subject : [Ekiga-list] Ekiga hangs at startup

> Hello all,
>
> Ekiga 4.0.1-5
>
> Debian Jessie kernel 3.16.0-4-amd64
>
> After installation Ekiga worked well. I was able to register with my SIP
> provider. Place telephone calls also worked.
>
> Then I tried to switch on my camera. This worked for less then a second,
> then Ekiga terminated. When starting it again, it displays this message:
>
> Ekia did not manage to configure your network settings automatically [...]
>
> And it hangs solidly. Nothing to do except a kill command.
>
> The camera button is still pressed. So the setting is still "Camera ON".
> I think this causes the problem. But I cannot disable it.
>
> It tried to uninstall --purge Ekiga, but the settings are retained.
>
> I tried to delete the config settings. I believe they were in
> ~/.gconf/apps. I deleted the ekiga directory.
>
> My settings are retained, no matter what I do. When I start Ekiga with
> the debug option enabled I see in the console Ekiga is trying to connect
> with my SIP provider.
>
> Since Ekiga worked until I enable the camera I want to delete the
> settings and do the configurations again.
>
> How do I delete all Ekiga settings wherever they are?
>
> Thanks
>
> Hans Linkels

Re: Ekiga hangs at startup - how to delete config

Tony Moody
Hallo Hans,

I didn't answer your question . > How do I delete all Ekiga settings wherever they are?

Yes, Find that ekiga.conf . Rename it and you are good to go and do a fresh instal.

Let us know.

OK,
Tony

.

On 15 Apr 2018 at 23:02, Hans Linkels wrote about :

> Hello all,
>
> Ekiga 4.0.1-5
>
> Debian Jessie kernel 3.16.0-4-amd64
>
> After installation Ekiga worked well. I was able to register with my SIP
> provider. Place telephone calls also worked.
>
> Then I tried to switch on my camera. This worked for less then a second,
> then Ekiga terminated. When starting it again, it displays this message:
>
> Ekia did not manage to configure your network settings automatically [...]
>
> And it hangs solidly. Nothing to do except a kill command.
>
> The camera button is still pressed. So the setting is still "Camera ON".
> I think this causes the problem. But I cannot disable it.
>
> It tried to uninstall --purge Ekiga, but the settings are retained.
>
> I tried to delete the config settings. I believe they were in
> ~/.gconf/apps. I deleted the ekiga directory.
>
> My settings are retained, no matter what I do. When I start Ekiga with
> the debug option enabled I see in the console Ekiga is trying to connect
> with my SIP provider.
>
> Since Ekiga worked until I enable the camera I want to delete the
> settings and do the configurations again.
>
> How do I delete all Ekiga settings wherever they are?
>
> Thanks
>
> Hans Linkels

Re: Ekiga hangs at startup - how to delete config

Hans Linkels

Hi Tony,

It is weird. This morning I started Ekiga again. Camera went on, saw the picture and Ekiga did not hang. The error message about the network is still there but that is irrelevant. Ekiga is functional and I could make a call.

The computer was suspended overnight but definitely not reset. The only thing I can imagine is that another application was claiming the camera. And by closing the other application the camera was released. I don't care, I don't use Ekiga with a camera. It just should not hang.

I was unable to find ekiga.conf. Used "sudo find / -name "*ekiga.conf*" ". But it is not there. I also started with "-d 3" to see if the log output would show the config file opened, no way. The settings are retained, really. There is no ~/.gconf/apps/ekiga directory (after I deleted it).

Thanks anyway, at least Ekiga works again.

Kind regards

Hans

On 2018-04-16 06:54, Tony Moody wrote:
Hallo Hans,

I didn't answer your question . > How do I delete all Ekiga settings wherever they are?

Yes, Find that ekiga.conf . Rename it and you are good to go and do a fresh instal.

Let us know.

OK,
Tony

.

On 15 Apr 2018 at 23:02, Hans Linkels wrote about :

> Hello all,
>
> Ekiga 4.0.1-5
>
> Debian Jessie kernel 3.16.0-4-amd64
>
> After installation Ekiga worked well. I was able to register with my SIP
> provider. Place telephone calls also worked.
>
> Then I tried to switch on my camera. This worked for less then a second,
> then Ekiga terminated. When starting it again, it displays this message:
>
> Ekia did not manage to configure your network settings automatically [...]
>
> And it hangs solidly. Nothing to do except a kill command.
>
> The camera button is still pressed. So the setting is still "Camera ON".
> I think this causes the problem. But I cannot disable it.
>
> It tried to uninstall --purge Ekiga, but the settings are retained.
>
> I tried to delete the config settings. I believe they were in
> ~/.gconf/apps. I deleted the ekiga directory.
>
> My settings are retained, no matter what I do. When I start Ekiga with
> the debug option enabled I see in the console Ekiga is trying to connect
> with my SIP provider.
>
> Since Ekiga worked until I enable the camera I want to delete the
> settings and do the configurations again.
>
> How do I delete all Ekiga settings wherever they are?
>
> Thanks
>
> Hans Linkels

Re: Ekiga hangs at startup - how to delete config

Hans Linkels
Hi Tony,

I found out where the config is stored.

Actually it is ~/.gconf/apps/ekiga BUT settings are retrieved through
gconfd. Which is a server for managing configuration data.

Apparently gconfd reads the config file once and then manages the
settings from internal cache. So if the ekiga config directory is
deleted, gconf still acts using the values once read.

Only after restarting gconfd the application understands the settings
have been deleted and will start a new configuration. While
communicating with the gconfd server a new config directory is created.

So that solves the mystery of the ever-retained configuration values.

Kind regards

Hans