Ekiga 4.0.1 and Renavisio

Samuel VISCAPI

Re: Ekiga 4.0.1 and Renavisio

Eugen Dedu-2
On 07/07/15 16:38, Samuel VISCAPI wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> This is my first post to that mailing list :)
>
> I'd like to use Ekiga to participate in a conference hosted on
> Renavisio, the French education visioconferencing platform:
>
> https://visio.renater.fr/
>
> I managed to join the conference room using the SIP protocol. I had to
> set DTMF mode to RFC 2833 in order to type in the password though.
>
> Audio is working correctly, but video is not. I can't see my colleague
> (in CC) who's connected to the same conference room, and he doesn't
> see me either. The webcam is a Logitech C920, which appears to be
> working just fine in the "echo test" room. As for my colleague, he is
> using Scopia and the H.323 protocol:
>
> http://www.avaya.com/usa/product/avaya-scopia-desktop-and-mobile-applica
> tions/#
>
> By the way, I'm running Ekiga 4.0.1 compiled from sources on a
> Raspberry PI 2. I followed these instructions:
>
> http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Compiling_Ekiga
>
> What am I doing wrong ?
>
> P.S: Damien told me it could be a video codec issue. So far, only
> theora and h261 are available in the "Preferences" menu. If need be, I
> could install libav/ffmpeg and libx264 then recompile Ekiga.

Hi Samuel,

I would relaly love to make Ekiga work with Renavisio.  I plan to test
it myself, but I am pretty busy at the moment.

I see at https://lpsc.in2p3.fr/trac/faq/wiki/Renavisio that the H263
codecs are needed.  You need libav (perhaps ffmpeg works too) for that.
  There is a patch (or two) you need to use, see
https://sources.debian.net/src/opal/3.10.10~dfsg2-1/debian/patches/

Kind regards,

http://eugen.dedu.free.fr

Re: Ekiga 4.0.1 and Renavisio

Samuel VISCAPI

Hi all,

Thanks for your answers, I'll try to build Ekiga with H.263 support
ASAP. By the way, is there a recommended version of libav for that
purpose ?

@ Eugen: I built Opal 3.10.10 from sources, do I still need to apply
those Debian patches (on Raspbian/ARM) ?

Cheers, Samuel

Le 07/07/2015 17:15, Eugen Dedu a écrit :

Re: Ekiga 4.0.1 and Renavisio

Samuel VISCAPI

Hi all,

I managed to compile Ekiga 4.0.1 with H.263 support, with libav-0.8.17
:) With this build I could join a Renavisio conference and have a
short, rather sluggish (~15 FPS + stuttering sound) talk with my
colleague...before the Raspberry PI 2 crashed ;)

I'll try again later with some overclock and / or more memory
dedicated to the GPU.

Stay tuned !

Cheers, Samuel

Le 08/07/2015 12:54, Samuel VISCAPI a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for your answers, I'll try to build Ekiga with H.263
> support ASAP. By the way, is there a recommended version of libav
> for that purpose ?
>
> @ Eugen: I built Opal 3.10.10 from sources, do I still need to
> apply those Debian patches (on Raspbian/ARM) ?
>
> Cheers, Samuel
>
> Le 07/07/2015 17:15, Eugen Dedu a écrit :
>> On 07/07/15 16:38, Samuel VISCAPI wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> This is my first post to that mailing list :)
>>>
>>> I'd like to use Ekiga to participate in a conference hosted on
>>>  Renavisio, the French education visioconferencing platform:
>>>
>>> https://visio.renater.fr/
>>>
>>> I managed to join the conference room using the SIP protocol.
>>> I had to set DTMF mode to RFC 2833 in order to type in the
>>> password though.
>>>
>>> Audio is working correctly, but video is not. I can't see my
>>> colleague (in CC) who's connected to the same conference room,
>>> and he doesn't see me either. The webcam is a Logitech C920,
>>> which appears to be working just fine in the "echo test" room.
>>> As for my colleague, he is using Scopia and the H.323
>>> protocol:
>>>
>>> http://www.avaya.com/usa/product/avaya-scopia-desktop-and-mobile-app

ica

> tions/#
>>>
>>> By the way, I'm running Ekiga 4.0.1 compiled from sources on a
>>>  Raspberry PI 2. I followed these instructions:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Compiling_Ekiga
>>>
>>> What am I doing wrong ?
>>>
>>> P.S: Damien told me it could be a video codec issue. So far,
>>> only theora and h261 are available in the "Preferences" menu.
>>> If need be, I could install libav/ffmpeg and libx264 then
>>> recompile Ekiga.
>
>> Hi Samuel,
>
>> I would relaly love to make Ekiga work with Renavisio.  I plan
>> to test it myself, but I am pretty busy at the moment.
>
>> I see at https://lpsc.in2p3.fr/trac/faq/wiki/Renavisio that the
>> H263 codecs are needed.  You need libav (perhaps ffmpeg works
>> too) for that. There is a patch (or two) you need to use, see
>> https://sources.debian.net/src/opal/3.10.10~dfsg2-1/debian/patches/
>
>>  Kind regards, Eugen

- --
Samuel VISCAPI
LUPM - UMR 5299
Université de Montpellier - Campus Triolet
Place Eugène Bataillon - 34095 Montpellier cedex 5
Bât. 13, bureau 5, 1er étage
+33 (0)4 67 14 93 32
[hidden email]
GPG: FB3E9039

Re: Ekiga 4.0.1 and Renavisio

Eugen Dedu-2
Hi Samuel,

We can make some tests tomorrow if you wish, I have access to renavisio
too.  Note that I will use the development code in order to allow to fix
any issue which might appear.

Eugen

On 08/07/15 17:53, Samuel VISCAPI wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I managed to compile Ekiga 4.0.1 with H.263 support, with libav-0.8.17
> :) With this build I could join a Renavisio conference and have a
> short, rather sluggish (~15 FPS + stuttering sound) talk with my
> colleague...before the Raspberry PI 2 crashed ;)
>
> I'll try again later with some overclock and / or more memory
> dedicated to the GPU.
>
> Stay tuned !
>
> Cheers, Samuel
>
> Le 08/07/2015 12:54, Samuel VISCAPI a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Thanks for your answers, I'll try to build Ekiga with H.263
>> support ASAP. By the way, is there a recommended version of libav
>> for that purpose ?
>>
>> @ Eugen: I built Opal 3.10.10 from sources, do I still need to
>> apply those Debian patches (on Raspbian/ARM) ?
>>
>> Cheers, Samuel

> ica
>>>>

>> tions/#

>>> Hi Samuel,
>>
>>> I would relaly love to make Ekiga work with Renavisio.  I plan
>>> to test it myself, but I am pretty busy at the moment.
>>
>>> I see at https://lpsc.in2p3.fr/trac/faq/wiki/Renavisio that the
>>> H263 codecs are needed.  You need libav (perhaps ffmpeg works
>>> too) for that. There is a patch (or two) you need to use, see
>>> https://sources.debian.net/src/opal/3.10.10~dfsg2-1/debian/patches/

Re: Ekiga 4.0.1 and Renavisio

Samuel VISCAPI

Hi Eugen,

Thanks for your offer, but I won't have too much free time today for
testing, sorry. I could be more available tomorrow morning, I'll let
you know.

I found something quite interesting: even though the Raspberry Pi 2
supports the NEON set of instructions, I couldn't get libav-0.8.17 to
compile with NEON enabled.

I just checked with libav-11.4, and the configure script seems to like
NEON better :) Using these instructions could lead to a significant
performance boost on ARM platform, and maybe make Ekiga usable on the
Raspberry Pi 2. I'll give this a try ASAP !

Ultimately, If that doesn't work, we'll have to use a beefier, x86
based machine (which is already ordered).

Cheers, Samuel

Le 15/07/2015 20:00, Eugen Dedu a écrit :

> Hi Samuel,
>
> We can make some tests tomorrow if you wish, I have access to
> renavisio too.  Note that I will use the development code in order
> to allow to fix any issue which might appear.
>
> Eugen
>
> On 08/07/15 17:53, Samuel VISCAPI wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I managed to compile Ekiga 4.0.1 with H.263 support, with
>> libav-0.8.17 :) With this build I could join a Renavisio
>> conference and have a short, rather sluggish (~15 FPS +
>> stuttering sound) talk with my colleague...before the Raspberry
>> PI 2 crashed ;)
>>
>> I'll try again later with some overclock and / or more memory
>> dedicated to the GPU.
>>
>> Stay tuned !
>>
>> Cheers, Samuel
>>
>> Le 08/07/2015 12:54, Samuel VISCAPI a écrit :
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your answers, I'll try to build Ekiga with H.263
>>> support ASAP. By the way, is there a recommended version of
>>> libav for that purpose ?
>>>
>>> @ Eugen: I built Opal 3.10.10 from sources, do I still need to
>>> apply those Debian patches (on Raspbian/ARM) ?
>>>
>>> Cheers, Samuel

>> ica
>>>>>

>>> tions/#

- --
Samuel VISCAPI
LUPM - UMR 5299
Université de Montpellier - Campus Triolet
Place Eugène Bataillon - 34095 Montpellier cedex 5
Bât. 13, bureau 5, 1er étage
+33 (0)4 67 14 93 32
[hidden email]
GPG: FB3E9039

Re: Ekiga 4.0.1 and Renavisio

Eugen Dedu-2
Samuel, would it be possible to you to use ekiga unstable code instead
of ekiga 4.0.1?  We are fixing bugs for the former, while the latter is
too old to fix bugs.  Note that for the moment you need to use ffmpeg,
not libav, for the unstable code of ekiga.

On 16/07/15 15:52, Samuel VISCAPI wrote:

> Hi Eugen,
>
> Thanks for your offer, but I won't have too much free time today for
> testing, sorry. I could be more available tomorrow morning, I'll let
> you know.
>
> I found something quite interesting: even though the Raspberry Pi 2
> supports the NEON set of instructions, I couldn't get libav-0.8.17 to
> compile with NEON enabled.
>
> I just checked with libav-11.4, and the configure script seems to like
> NEON better :) Using these instructions could lead to a significant
> performance boost on ARM platform, and maybe make Ekiga usable on the
> Raspberry Pi 2. I'll give this a try ASAP !
>
> Ultimately, If that doesn't work, we'll have to use a beefier, x86
> based machine (which is already ordered).
>
> Cheers, Samuel
>
> Le 15/07/2015 20:00, Eugen Dedu a écrit :
>> Hi Samuel,
>>
>> We can make some tests tomorrow if you wish, I have access to
>> renavisio too.  Note that I will use the development code in order
>> to allow to fix any issue which might appear.
>>
>> Eugen
>>
>> On 08/07/15 17:53, Samuel VISCAPI wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I managed to compile Ekiga 4.0.1 with H.263 support, with
>>> libav-0.8.17 :) With this build I could join a Renavisio
>>> conference and have a short, rather sluggish (~15 FPS +
>>> stuttering sound) talk with my colleague...before the Raspberry
>>> PI 2 crashed ;)
>>>
>>> I'll try again later with some overclock and / or more memory
>>> dedicated to the GPU.
>>>
>>> Stay tuned !
>>>
>>> Cheers, Samuel

> pp

>>> ica

> - --
> Samuel VISCAPI
> LUPM - UMR 5299
> Université de Montpellier - Campus Triolet
> Place Eugène Bataillon - 34095 Montpellier cedex 5
> Bât. 13, bureau 5, 1er étage
> +33 (0)4 67 14 93 32
> [hidden email]
> GPG: FB3E9039

Re: Ekiga 4.0.1 and Renavisio

Samuel VISCAPI

Hi Eugen,

For now, as this is for production environment, I'd rather stay on the
stable 4.0.1 version. But if time permits, I'd be glad to test the
unstable branch and report here though :)

On a side note, I didn't managed to compile Opal 3.10.10 with either
libav 11.4/10.7 or ffmpeg 2.7.2. I tried to apply the Debian patches
you told me about, but the patch command failed on some chunks. I
tried to add these by hand, but that only led to more errors... Could
you help me on this one please ?

In the mean time, we received the new x86 based machine, an Intel NUC
D34010WYKH, which is of course a lot more powerful than the tiny
Raspberry Pi 2.

Cheers, Samuel

Le 16/07/2015 16:03, Eugen Dedu a écrit :

> Samuel, would it be possible to you to use ekiga unstable code
> instead of ekiga 4.0.1?  We are fixing bugs for the former, while
> the latter is too old to fix bugs.  Note that for the moment you
> need to use ffmpeg, not libav, for the unstable code of ekiga.
>
> On 16/07/15 15:52, Samuel VISCAPI wrote: Hi Eugen,
>
> Thanks for your offer, but I won't have too much free time today
> for testing, sorry. I could be more available tomorrow morning,
> I'll let you know.
>
> I found something quite interesting: even though the Raspberry Pi
> 2 supports the NEON set of instructions, I couldn't get
> libav-0.8.17 to compile with NEON enabled.
>
> I just checked with libav-11.4, and the configure script seems to
> like NEON better :) Using these instructions could lead to a
> significant performance boost on ARM platform, and maybe make Ekiga
> usable on the Raspberry Pi 2. I'll give this a try ASAP !
>
> Ultimately, If that doesn't work, we'll have to use a beefier, x86
> based machine (which is already ordered).
>
> Cheers, Samuel

pp

Re: Ekiga 4.0.1 and Renavisio

Eugen Dedu-2
Hi Samuel,

I propose you to compile opal 3.10.10 with libav version 8, or with
version 9 and the patch libav9 from
https://sources.debian.net/src/opal/3.10.10~dfsg2-1/debian/patches/, or
version 10 with patches libav9 and libav10.

(For your information, the unstable code should work without patches
with ffmpeg, but not with libav.  Hehe, there are several if-s here, but
hopefully in the near future everything will be settled.  Debian has
just switched from libav to ffmpeg.)

Eugen

On 21/07/15 13:23, Samuel VISCAPI wrote:

> Hi Eugen,
>
> For now, as this is for production environment, I'd rather stay on the
> stable 4.0.1 version. But if time permits, I'd be glad to test the
> unstable branch and report here though :)
>
> On a side note, I didn't managed to compile Opal 3.10.10 with either
> libav 11.4/10.7 or ffmpeg 2.7.2. I tried to apply the Debian patches
> you told me about, but the patch command failed on some chunks. I
> tried to add these by hand, but that only led to more errors... Could
> you help me on this one please ?
>
> In the mean time, we received the new x86 based machine, an Intel NUC
> D34010WYKH, which is of course a lot more powerful than the tiny
> Raspberry Pi 2.
>
> Cheers, Samuel
>
> Le 16/07/2015 16:03, Eugen Dedu a écrit :
>> Samuel, would it be possible to you to use ekiga unstable code
>> instead of ekiga 4.0.1?  We are fixing bugs for the former, while
>> the latter is too old to fix bugs.  Note that for the moment you
>> need to use ffmpeg, not libav, for the unstable code of ekiga.
>>
>> On 16/07/15 15:52, Samuel VISCAPI wrote: Hi Eugen,
>>
>> Thanks for your offer, but I won't have too much free time today
>> for testing, sorry. I could be more available tomorrow morning,
>> I'll let you know.
>>
>> I found something quite interesting: even though the Raspberry Pi
>> 2 supports the NEON set of instructions, I couldn't get
>> libav-0.8.17 to compile with NEON enabled.
>>
>> I just checked with libav-11.4, and the configure script seems to
>> like NEON better :) Using these instructions could lead to a
>> significant performance boost on ARM platform, and maybe make Ekiga
>> usable on the Raspberry Pi 2. I'll give this a try ASAP !
>>
>> Ultimately, If that doesn't work, we'll have to use a beefier, x86
>> based machine (which is already ordered).
>>
>> Cheers, Samuel

> e-a
>>

> pp

> es/

Re: Ekiga 4.0.1 and Renavisio

Samuel VISCAPI

Hi all,

Just to let you know we had our first real RENAVISIO conference with
Ekiga 4.0.1 today.

There were 8 participants (4 audio + 4 video), and everything worked
perfectly !

Many thanks to everyone involved in that great piece of software :)

Cheers, Samuel

Le 21/07/2015 15:18, Eugen Dedu a écrit :

> Hi Samuel,
>
> I propose you to compile opal 3.10.10 with libav version 8, or
> with version 9 and the patch libav9 from
> https://sources.debian.net/src/opal/3.10.10~dfsg2-1/debian/patches/,
> or version 10 with patches libav9 and libav10.
>
> (For your information, the unstable code should work without
> patches with ffmpeg, but not with libav.  Hehe, there are several
> if-s here, but hopefully in the near future everything will be
> settled.  Debian has just switched from libav to ffmpeg.)
>
> Eugen
>
> On 21/07/15 13:23, Samuel VISCAPI wrote:
>>
>> Hi Eugen,
>>
>> For now, as this is for production environment, I'd rather stay
>> on the stable 4.0.1 version. But if time permits, I'd be glad to
>> test the unstable branch and report here though :)
>>
>> On a side note, I didn't managed to compile Opal 3.10.10 with
>> either libav 11.4/10.7 or ffmpeg 2.7.2. I tried to apply the
>> Debian patches you told me about, but the patch command failed on
>> some chunks. I tried to add these by hand, but that only led to
>> more errors... Could you help me on this one please ?
>>
>> In the mean time, we received the new x86 based machine, an Intel
>> NUC D34010WYKH, which is of course a lot more powerful than the
>> tiny Raspberry Pi 2.
>>
>> Cheers, Samuel
>>
>> Le 16/07/2015 16:03, Eugen Dedu a écrit :
>>> Samuel, would it be possible to you to use ekiga unstable code
>>> instead of ekiga 4.0.1?  We are fixing bugs for the former,
>>> while the latter is too old to fix bugs.  Note that for the
>>> moment you need to use ffmpeg, not libav, for the unstable code
>>> of ekiga.
>>>
>>> On 16/07/15 15:52, Samuel VISCAPI wrote: Hi Eugen,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your offer, but I won't have too much free time
>>> today for testing, sorry. I could be more available tomorrow
>>> morning, I'll let you know.
>>>
>>> I found something quite interesting: even though the Raspberry
>>> Pi 2 supports the NEON set of instructions, I couldn't get
>>> libav-0.8.17 to compile with NEON enabled.
>>>
>>> I just checked with libav-11.4, and the configure script seems
>>> to like NEON better :) Using these instructions could lead to
>>> a significant performance boost on ARM platform, and maybe make
>>> Ekiga usable on the Raspberry Pi 2. I'll give this a try ASAP
>>> !
>>>
>>> Ultimately, If that doesn't work, we'll have to use a beefier,
>>> x86 based machine (which is already ordered).
>>>
>>> Cheers, Samuel

e-a

>> pp

es/