Choppy audio received

Leon Stringer
Hi,

When I try the echo test, the audio from the female voice is fine, but
my voice comes back very (i.e. unusably) choppy.

I've noticed a similar thread on this so I've looked at:

 - X's nice value which seems to be 0

 - CPU load doesn't max out (barely exceeds 50%)

 - Turning off echo cancellation

 - I'm using a headset

When I do the local test (with the 4s delay) the audio is fine. Does
this mean the audio hardware duplexing is working OK?

I've tried this on both my systems (both FC5, both Intel 82801DB-ICH4
sound chips, one a P4, the other a P4M).

Any advice on how to improve this situation gratefully received,

Leon...

Re: Choppy audio received

Johnny Strom
Leon Stringer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I try the echo test, the audio from the female voice is fine, but
> my voice comes back very (i.e. unusably) choppy.
>
> I've noticed a similar thread on this so I've looked at:
>
>  - X's nice value which seems to be 0
>
>  - CPU load doesn't max out (barely exceeds 50%)
>
>  - Turning off echo cancellation

Have you tried to disable echo cancellation at both ends?

I know there is a problem with echo cancellation, I can repeat it here.
But I guess it will be some time before I and damien can debug it.

Cheers Johnny

>  - I'm using a headset
>
> When I do the local test (with the 4s delay) the audio is fine. Does
> this mean the audio hardware duplexing is working OK?
>
> I've tried this on both my systems (both FC5, both Intel 82801DB-ICH4
> sound chips, one a P4, the other a P4M).
>
> Any advice on how to improve this situation gratefully received,
>

> Leon...

Re: Choppy audio received

Le mardi 04 avril 2006 à 18:50 +0100, Leon Stringer a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> When I try the echo test, the audio from the female voice is fine, but
> my voice comes back very (i.e. unusably) choppy.
>
> I've noticed a similar thread on this so I've looked at:
>
>  - X's nice value which seems to be 0
>
>  - CPU load doesn't max out (barely exceeds 50%)
>
>  - Turning off echo cancellation
>
>  - I'm using a headset
>
> When I do the local test (with the 4s delay) the audio is fine. Does
> this mean the audio hardware duplexing is working OK?
>
> I've tried this on both my systems (both FC5, both Intel 82801DB-ICH4
> sound chips, one a P4, the other a P4M).

The only explanation I can have is some router problem between you and
ekiga.net with dropped packets.

Try with other users and see if the problem persists or not.
--
 _      Damien Sandras
(o-

Re: Choppy audio received

Le mardi 04 avril 2006 à 18:50 +0100, Leon Stringer a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> When I try the echo test, the audio from the female voice is fine, but
> my voice comes back very (i.e. unusably) choppy.
>
> I've noticed a similar thread on this so I've looked at:
>
>  - X's nice value which seems to be 0
>
>  - CPU load doesn't max out (barely exceeds 50%)
>
>  - Turning off echo cancellation
>
>  - I'm using a headset
>
> When I do the local test (with the 4s delay) the audio is fine. Does
> this mean the audio hardware duplexing is working OK?
>
> I've tried this on both my systems (both FC5, both Intel 82801DB-ICH4
> sound chips, one a P4, the other a P4M).
>
> Any advice on how to improve this situation gratefully received,

Also check you are not overloading your upstream connection. The echo
test is using PCM which means 85 kbits/s. That won't work with dialup.