About Ekiga.net

Damien Sandras
Hi everyone,

Ekiga.net has been running since 2006 when there were no free SIP providers. Maintaining the platform is much work for our small team. Some features have been missing for years without anyone having the time to implement them.

Should we keep the platform or try to find a partnership with someone to move it to another platform?

Who is using Ekiga.net?

Through the years there have been nearly 1 million subscribers.

Ah well, if each of them had donated 1 € ;)
--
Damien SANDRAS

Ekiga Project
http://www.ekiga.org

Re: [Ekiga-list] About Ekiga.net

Damien Sandras
Le samedi 28 mars 2015 à 18:39 +0000, David Ford a écrit :
This is the problem of community software.

So what are the other options?

What partnership? What platforms?

I found several possibilities. I also saw that the Kamailio developers were offering a free SIP platform with advanced features.

And, importantly, what would the Ekiga team actually LIKE to do - you are the people who make Ekiga happen.

Hard to say, what I would really like is finally have NAT traversal handled by Ekiga.net, to make it work in all cases.

The big problem is that maintaining both the platform and the software takes much time. I am spending nearly the entire WE on this.

Le dimanche 29 mars 2015 à 11:26 +0200, Gerhard Pircher a écrit :
Am 2015-03-28 um 19:39 schrieb David Ford:
> This is the problem of community software.
>
> So what are the other options?
> What partnership? What platforms?
>
> And, importantly, what would the Ekiga team actually LIKE to do - you
> are the people who make Ekiga happen.
>
> David
>
>> On 28 March 2015 at 17:12, Damien Sandras <[hidden email]
>> <[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     __
>>     Hi everyone,
>>

>>     Ekiga.net has been running since 2006 when there were no free SIP
>>     providers. Maintaining the platform is much work for our small team.
>>     Some features have been missing for years without anyone having the
>>     time to implement them.
>>
>>     Should we keep the platform or try to find a partnership with
>>     someone to move it to another platform?
>>
>>     Who is using Ekiga.net?
I'm a longtime Ekiga.net user and I'm using it almost every day on my
mobile phone or desktop machine since about two years (when my own
Asterisk server machine broke down).

>>     Through the years there have been nearly 1 million subscribers.
>>
>>     Ah well, if each of them had donated 1 € ;)
Donations would certainly be an option for me (as long as I don't have
to be a Paypal customer for this ;) ).

But I'm also curious to know what the team likes to do, what the other
options and especially the missing feature are. I have to admit that I
didn't miss any feature up to now. :-)

The top 3 missing features are:
- Server-side NAT handling
- Be able to delete his account
- Have a better account recovery procedure

Currently, the password is sent in clear text (which is inadmissible)...
--
Damien SANDRAS

Ekiga Project
http://www.ekiga.org