About Ekiga.net

Damien Sandras
Hi everyone,

Ekiga.net has been running since 2006 when there were no free SIP providers. Maintaining the platform is much work for our small team. Some features have been missing for years without anyone having the time to implement them.

Should we keep the platform or try to find a partnership with someone to move it to another platform?

Who is using Ekiga.net?

Through the years there have been nearly 1 million subscribers.

Ah well, if each of them had donated 1 € ;)
--
Damien SANDRAS

Ekiga Project
http://www.ekiga.org

Re: About Ekiga.net

David Ford
This is the problem of community software.

So what are the other options?
What partnership? What platforms?

And, importantly, what would the Ekiga team actually LIKE to do - you are the people who make Ekiga happen.

David

On 28 March 2015 at 17:12, Damien Sandras <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Ekiga.net has been running since 2006 when there were no free SIP providers. Maintaining the platform is much work for our small team. Some features have been missing for years without anyone having the time to implement them.

Should we keep the platform or try to find a partnership with someone to move it to another platform?

Who is using Ekiga.net?

Through the years there have been nearly 1 million subscribers.

Ah well, if each of them had donated 1 € ;)
--
Damien SANDRAS

Ekiga Project
http://www.ekiga.org

Re: About Ekiga.net

Gerhard Pircher
Am 2015-03-28 um 19:39 schrieb David Ford:

> This is the problem of community software.
>
> So what are the other options?
> What partnership? What platforms?
>
> And, importantly, what would the Ekiga team actually LIKE to do - you
> are the people who make Ekiga happen.
>
> David
>
>> On 28 March 2015 at 17:12, Damien Sandras <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     __
>>     Hi everyone,
>>

>>     Ekiga.net has been running since 2006 when there were no free SIP
>>     providers. Maintaining the platform is much work for our small team.
>>     Some features have been missing for years without anyone having the
>>     time to implement them.
>>
>>     Should we keep the platform or try to find a partnership with
>>     someone to move it to another platform?
>>
>>     Who is using Ekiga.net?
I'm a longtime Ekiga.net user and I'm using it almost every day on my
mobile phone or desktop machine since about two years (when my own
Asterisk server machine broke down).

>>     Through the years there have been nearly 1 million subscribers.
>>
>>     Ah well, if each of them had donated 1 € ;)
Donations would certainly be an option for me (as long as I don't have
to be a Paypal customer for this ;) ).

But I'm also curious to know what the team likes to do, what the other
options and especially the missing feature are. I have to admit that I
didn't miss any feature up to now. :-)

br,
Gerhard

PS: thanks a lot for keeping Ekiga.net up and running so far.

>>     --
>>     Damien SANDRAS
>>
>>     *Ekiga Project*
>>     http://www.ekiga.org

>> --
>> Read My Blog
>> http://www.ja2da.com

Re: About Ekiga.net

Mile Ivankovic
Hello,

I got Belgian DID number and I am trying to set it up over a free SIP provider.

If you can help me to get it done I am eager to hear from you.

Best regards,
MIle

Re: About Ekiga.net

Le samedi 28 mars 2015 à 18:39 +0000, David Ford a écrit :
This is the problem of community software.

So what are the other options?

What partnership? What platforms?

I found several possibilities. I also saw that the Kamailio developers were offering a free SIP platform with advanced features.

And, importantly, what would the Ekiga team actually LIKE to do - you are the people who make Ekiga happen.

Hard to say, what I would really like is finally have NAT traversal handled by Ekiga.net, to make it work in all cases.

The big problem is that maintaining both the platform and the software takes much time. I am spending nearly the entire WE on this.
--
Damien SANDRAS

Ekiga Project
http://www.ekiga.org

Re: About Ekiga.net

Le dimanche 29 mars 2015 à 11:26 +0200, Gerhard Pircher a écrit :
Am 2015-03-28 um 19:39 schrieb David Ford:
> This is the problem of community software.
>
> So what are the other options?
> What partnership? What platforms?
>
> And, importantly, what would the Ekiga team actually LIKE to do - you
> are the people who make Ekiga happen.
>
> David
>
>> On 28 March 2015 at 17:12, Damien Sandras <[hidden email]
>> <[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     __
>>     Hi everyone,
>>

>>     Ekiga.net has been running since 2006 when there were no free SIP
>>     providers. Maintaining the platform is much work for our small team.
>>     Some features have been missing for years without anyone having the
>>     time to implement them.
>>
>>     Should we keep the platform or try to find a partnership with
>>     someone to move it to another platform?
>>
>>     Who is using Ekiga.net?
I'm a longtime Ekiga.net user and I'm using it almost every day on my
mobile phone or desktop machine since about two years (when my own
Asterisk server machine broke down).

>>     Through the years there have been nearly 1 million subscribers.
>>
>>     Ah well, if each of them had donated 1 € ;)
Donations would certainly be an option for me (as long as I don't have
to be a Paypal customer for this ;) ).

But I'm also curious to know what the team likes to do, what the other
options and especially the missing feature are. I have to admit that I
didn't miss any feature up to now. :-)

The top 3 missing features are:
- Server-side NAT handling
- Be able to delete his account
- Have a better account recovery procedure

Currently, the password is sent in clear text (which is inadmissible)...
--
Damien SANDRAS

Ekiga Project
http://www.ekiga.org

Re: About Ekiga.net

Bret Busby
Hello.

Due to the format of the message that was posted, I can not see the text
of the message to which I am replying.

I signed up for Ekiga, in, I believe, 2008.

I have installed, on this computer, Ekiga v 3.2.7, on Debian 6 LTS
Linux. I assume that version of Ekiga, to be the latest version of
ekiga, that is available for Debian 6 LTS (which (Debian 6 LTS) has a
"supported" lifetime, for about another year)

I do not know what is the latest "stable" version of Ekiga.

The version of Ekiga that I have installed, shows the web site for
Ekiga, to be http://www.ekiga.org/ , which returns, in rekonq,

"
Unknown error

When connecting to: http://www.ekiga.org
"

so I can not find what is the latest "stable" version of Ekiga, as
according to the ekiga project web site.

In 2013, was, I believe, the last time that I had tried to get Ekiga
working on this computer.

The version of Ekiga that is installed on this (Debian 6 LTS) computer,
appears unchanged from when I used it, and, posted messages to this
list, about it, in 2013.

I had tried Ekiga and Linphone, and could not get either working - I
believe that the mailing list archives, should show the results. I
correct that - in having looked through some of my messages posted to
this list, in 2013, I had got the voice component working, for calls,
but, not the video component, so, I had not been able to get ekiga
working for videocalling.

I had been able to get skype working, but microsoft took over skype,
and, sabotaged it, I believe, last year.

The only videocalling software that I had been able to get working, on
Linux, was skype v 2.2 beta (the full version umber, is in the list
archives, in messages that I posted about it, in 2013) which worked well
enough, and, was relatively good, until microsoft sabotaged it.

Without knowing where ekiga is located (in which country/region), I do
not know whether applicable laws, would allow for the reverse
engineering of skype 2.2 beta, so as to get that operational again, or,
whether the ekiga project people, would be inclined to do that, even if
it was legal.

But, at present, I do not have access to any operational videocalling
software, that works on Linux.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
   Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
   "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
   A Trilogy In Four Parts",
   written by Douglas Adams,
   published by Pan Books, 1992
Hi everyone,

Ekiga.net has been running since 2006 when there were no free SIP providers. Maintaining the platform is much work for our small team. Some features have been missing for years without anyone having the time to implement them.

Should we keep the platform or try to find a partnership with someone to move it to another platform?

Who is using Ekiga.net?

Through the years there have been nearly 1 million subscribers.

Ah well, if each of them had donated 1 € ;)
--
Damien SANDRAS

Ekiga Project
http://www.ekiga.org

Re: About Ekiga.net

Adam Tauno Williams-3
> The top 3 missing features are:
> - Server-side NAT handling

Agree, this is the big issue.

> - Be able to delete his account
> - Have a better account recovery procedure
> Currently, the password is sent in clear text (which is
> inadmissible)...

+1

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:[hidden email]> GPG D95ED383

Re: About Ekiga.net

Adam Tauno Williams-3
On Sun, 2015-03-29 at 11:26 +0200, Gerhard Pircher wrote:

> Am 2015-03-28 um 19:39 schrieb David Ford:
> > This is the problem of community software.
> >
> > So what are the other options?
> > What partnership? What platforms?
> > And, importantly, what would the Ekiga team actually LIKE to do - you
> > are the people who make Ekiga happen.
> >>Ekiga.net has been running since 2006 when there were no free SIP
> >>providers. Maintaining the platform is much work for our small team.
> >>Some features have been missing for years without anyone having the
> >>time to implement them.
> >>Should we keep the platform or try to find a partnership with
> >>someone to move it to another platform?
> >>Who is using Ekiga.net?
> I'm a longtime Ekiga.net user and I'm using it almost every day on my
> mobile phone or desktop machine since about two years (when my own
> Asterisk server machine broke down).

I have an active account, but admit I do not use it too much as I try to
minimize voice communication as much as possible [it is slow and very
error prone;  that is not a technology problem].

> >>Through the years there have been nearly 1 million subscribers.
> >>Ah well, if each of them had donated 1 € ;)
> Donations would certainly be an option for me (as long as I don't have
> to be a Paypal customer for this ;) ).

I would kick in a little bit.

On Sun, 2015-03-29 at 14:24 +0200, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le samedi 28 mars 2015 à 18:39 +0000, David Ford a écrit :
> > This is the problem of community software.
> > So what are the other options?
> > What partnership? What platforms?
> I found several possibilities. I also saw that the Kamailio developers
> were offering a free SIP platform with advanced features.

I would very much prefer to continue to use a Free (as in beer) service.
It seems like a federation of projects would be a good idea.

On 30/03/15 08:38, Bret Busby wrote:

> Due to the format of the message that was posted, I can not see the text
> of the message to which I am replying.
>
> I signed up for Ekiga, in, I believe, 2008.
>
> I have installed, on this computer, Ekiga v 3.2.7, on Debian 6 LTS
> Linux. I assume that version of Ekiga, to be the latest version of
> ekiga, that is available for Debian 6 LTS (which (Debian 6 LTS) has a
> "supported" lifetime, for about another year)
>
> I do not know what is the latest "stable" version of Ekiga.
>
> The version of Ekiga that I have installed, shows the web site for
> Ekiga, to be http://www.ekiga.org/ , which returns, in rekonq,
>
> "
> Unknown error
>
> When connecting to: http://www.ekiga.org
> "

Bret, you need to send us/me the -d 4 log.  But create a new subject
(thread) instead of replying to this e-mail.

Re: About Ekiga.net

Hello Tony,

Thank you for the e-mail.

Ekiga is the software. It is based on the SIP protocol, and as such, is compatible with other SIP software : client-side and server-side.
Ekiga.net is the platform. It is where you register a free SIP address that you can exchange with friends and family to get in touch.

Of course, you do not need Ekiga.net to use Ekiga. Some people use Ekiga with their own PBX system, with Polycom videoconferencing software, or with other SIP providers.

But if you do not use them and need to ekiga to talk to relatives, the easiest is to get a SIP address from there.

I think we need help with maintaining the WEB look&feel of the various sites (outside of coding skills to maintain the software and the platform).

Damien

Le mardi 31 mars 2015 à 10:38 +0200, Tony Moody a écrit :
Hallo Damien.

I am very happy with Ekiga and what it does. It all seemed fairly seamless to install and get working, and to talk to myself. :-)  I did manage to wake a person up on the other side of the world by 'phoning' at random.

I'm fairly sure that I do not understand the implications of your message below. Not sure how it all works . What does the platform do? Could I help maintain the platform in some way?

My problem really is how to motivate friends and family to use this service. I think what would help me here is to become more familiar with the service. Something that would help is a directory of people in same time zone, willing to be phoned. in order to practise using Ekiga with a real person before making a fool of myself with colleagues, friends or family.

All Best,

Tony Moody

Subject : [Ekiga-list] About Ekiga.net

--
Damien SANDRAS

Ekiga Project
http://www.ekiga.org

Re: About Ekiga.net

Le lundi 30 mars 2015 à 14:38 +0800, Bret Busby a écrit :
"
Unknown error

When connecting to: http://www.ekiga.org
"

It works here. That is wierd. Does it work with any other browser ?

so I can not find what is the latest "stable" version of Ekiga, as
according to the ekiga project web site.

The latest stable release is 4.0.1. 3.x is very very very old (4 or 5 years old actually).

[...]

We really need to improve things !

--
Damien SANDRAS

Ekiga Project
http://www.ekiga.org

Problem in accessing Ekiga web site

Bret Busby
On Tue, 31 Mar 2015, Eugen Dedu wrote:

> Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 21:35:00
> From: Eugen Dedu <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Ekiga-list] About Ekiga.net
>
> On 30/03/15 08:38, Bret Busby wrote:
>> Due to the format of the message that was posted, I can not see the text
>> of the message to which I am replying.
>>
>> I signed up for Ekiga, in, I believe, 2008.
>>
>> I have installed, on this computer, Ekiga v 3.2.7, on Debian 6 LTS
>> Linux. I assume that version of Ekiga, to be the latest version of
>> ekiga, that is available for Debian 6 LTS (which (Debian 6 LTS) has a
>> "supported" lifetime, for about another year)
>>
>> I do not know what is the latest "stable" version of Ekiga.
>>
>> The version of Ekiga that I have installed, shows the web site for
>> Ekiga, to be http://www.ekiga.org/ , which returns, in rekonq,
>>
>> "
>> Unknown error
>>
>> When connecting to: http://www.ekiga.org
>> "
>
> Bret, you need to send us/me the -d 4 log.  But create a new subject (thread)
> instead of replying to this e-mail.
>
> --
> Eugen

I have just tried again, using rekonq, to access the web site.

The home page displays, but I also get an error message;

"
The server failed the authenticity check (www.paypal.com).

The certificate authority's certificate is invalid
The root certificate authority's certificate is not trusted for this
purpose
"

I got that error message displayed three times, selecting <Cancel> each
time, of the three options in the dialogue box.

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015, Damien Sandras wrote:

> Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 23:06:51
> From: Damien Sandras <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Ekiga-list] About Ekiga.net
>
> Le lundi 30 mars 2015 à 14:38 +0800, Bret Busby a écrit :
>

>> "
>> Unknown error
>>
>> When connecting to: http://www.ekiga.org
>> "
>>

> It works here. That is wierd. Does it work with any other browser ?

I have dealt with that in another message in a kind of new thread.

>> so I can not find what is the latest "stable" version of Ekiga, as
>> according to the ekiga project web site.
>>

> The latest stable release is 4.0.1. 3.x is very very very old (4 or 5
> years old actually).

This computer is running Debian 6 LTS.

Ekiga was, I believe, installed from the Debian repository, as a Debian
package, via the Debian package manager.

The web page at
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=ekiga&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all
shows

"
You have searched for packages that names contain ekiga in all suites,
all sections, and all architectures. Found 3 matching packages.

Exact hits

Package ekiga
squeeze (oldstable) (gnome): H.323 and SIP compatible VoIP client
3.2.7-2: amd64 armel i386 ia64 mips mipsel powerpc s390 sparc
wheezy (stable) (gnome): H.323 and SIP compatible VoIP client
3.2.7-6: amd64 armel armhf i386 ia64 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 mips
mipsel powerpc s390 s390x sparc
jessie (testing) (gnome): H.323 and SIP compatible VoIP client
4.0.1-5: amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 mips
mipsel powerpc ppc64el s390x
sid (unstable) (gnome): H.323 and SIP compatible VoIP client
4.0.1-5: alpha amd64 arm64 armel armhf hppa i386 kfreebsd-amd64
kfreebsd-i386 mips mipsel powerpc powerpcspe ppc64 ppc64el s390x sparc
4.0.1-3 [debports]: sparc64
3.2.7-6 [debports]: m68k
3.2.7-5 [debports]: sh4
"

"squeeze" is Debian 6.

"wheezy" is Debian 7.

Debian 7 is still too problematic.

Debian 6 is less problematic than Debian 7, but, I do not regard Debian
6 as having yet become stable.

Anyway, the latest available version of Ekiga, as a Debian package, for
a "stable" version of Debian Linux, shows as being vesion 3.2.7-x.

The "supported" lifecycle of Debian 6, as a new(ish) LTS version of
Debian Linux, is expected to go for about another year from now.

If, as expected, Debian 7 has a five year supported lifecycle, as a
"stable" version of Debian, then that would have about another three
years, being the duration of the "LTS".

At
http://www.debian.org/releases/
is

"
The current stable distribution of Debian is version 7, codenamed
wheezy. It was initially released as version 7.0 on May 4th, 2013
"

Discussion on the Debian LTS mailing list, shows that Debian 6 LTS is
expected to be supported up until 06 February 2016, being five years
from the initial release of Debian 6 as a "stable" version of Debian
Linux, and, discussion has been occurring, showing an expectation that
Debian 7 will have LTS, so that that would be supported for five years
from its initial release as a "stable" version of Debian Linux, thus
having support up until 04 May 2018.

>> In 2013, was, I believe, the last time that I had tried to get Ekiga
>> working on this computer.
>>
>> The version of Ekiga that is installed on this (Debian 6 LTS) computer,
>> appears unchanged from when I used it, and, posted messages to this
>> list, about it, in 2013.
>>
>> I had tried Ekiga and Linphone, and could not get either working - I
>> believe that the mailing list archives, should show the results. I
>> correct that - in having looked through some of my messages posted to
>> this list, in 2013, I had got the voice component working, for calls,
>> but, not the video component, so, I had not been able to get ekiga
>> working for videocalling.
>>
>> I had been able to get skype working, but microsoft took over skype,
>> and, sabotaged it, I believe, last year.
>>
>> The only videocalling software that I had been able to get working, on
>> Linux, was skype v 2.2 beta (the full version umber, is in the list
>> archives, in messages that I posted about it, in 2013) which worked well
>> enough, and, was relatively good, until microsoft sabotaged it.
>>
>> Without knowing where ekiga is located (in which country/region), I do
>> not know whether applicable laws, would allow for the reverse
>> engineering of skype 2.2 beta, so as to get that operational again, or,
>> whether the ekiga project people, would be inclined to do that, even if
>> it was legal.
>>
>> But, at present, I do not have access to any operational videocalling
>> software, that works on Linux.
>
> We really need to improve things !
>

> --
> Damien SANDRAS

As mentioned above, this computer, in running Debian 6, which is
expected to be supported for about another year, has the latest Ekiga
package version available for this operating system; 3.2.7-2, as was
2013, and no later version of Ekiga, as a Debian package to run on
Debian 6, is available for installation/upgrade.

Similarly, for the current "stable" version of Debian Linux; Debian 7,
the latest Ekiga package version available for that operating system, as
cited above, is 3.2.7-6.

So, that is where we now are.